PC2011 Gold Coast Suns: New dynasty

Remove this Banner Ad

75606119.jpg

Gold Coast announce inaugural coach

The AFL's newest club the Gold Coast Suns, have announced their inaugural coach to hopefully form a dynasty with them - Peter Williams. He is a relatively unknown Victorian, who has had good fortune in other AFL management games so they thought they'd give him a shot. He has been chosen as the man to take them forward and strive to win their first premiership.

With Gary Ablett as skipper, a host of talented, but raw youngsters and a few top up players in their first season, the Suns aren't expected to set the world on fire, but still aim to be competitive. Williams said he was looking at playing youth and working out who has what it takes, and who doesn't.

---

I'll be skimming through the first season simply because I want to get to the point where I can actually build a side through the off-season. But I'll give a few updates along the way.

75606119.jpg

NAB Challenge

Brisbane Lions 16.10 (106) defeated by Gold Coast Suns 17.5 (107)
Goals: Day (4), Smith (2), Bennell (2), Dixon (2), Swallow, Boxk, Rischitelli, Krakouer, Lynch, Brown, Caddy.
Best: Caddy, Ablett, Bennell, Dixon, Brennan, Bock.

---

Collingwood 14.14 (98) defeated Gold Coast Suns 14.5 (89)
Goals: Day (3), Prestia 2, Brennan 2, Ablett 2, Brown, Harris, Rischitelli, Gilbee, Krakouer.
Best: Ablett, Brennan, Prestia, Bock, Caddy, Brown.

75606119.jpg

2011 Premiership Season - Results

1 Geelong (19-3)
2 Hawthorn (19-3)
3 Footscray (18-4)
4 St Kilda (18-4) Won the premiership
5 Collingwood (16-6)
6 Adelaide (13-9)
7 Carlton (12-10)
8 Brisbane (12-10)
9 Essendon (10-12)
10 Fremantle (9-3)
11 West Coast (8-14)
12 Port Adelaide (8-14)
13 Sydney (7-15)
14 North Melbourne (7-15)
15 Richmond (4-18)
16 Gold Coast (4-18)
17 Melbourne (3-19)

75606119.jpg

Contract re-signing

David Swallow - $180,000 (2 years)
Sam Day - $190,000 (2 years)
Harley Bennell - $175,000 (2 years)
Zac Smith - $540,000 (2 years)
Josh Toy - $255,000 (2 years)
Dion Prestia - $450,000 (3 years)
Josh Caddy - $180,000 (2 years)
Tom Lynch - $400,000 (3 years)
Seb Tape - $175,000 (2 years)

Trade Bait:

Nathan Ablett
Charlie Dixon
Daniel Gorringe

Others uncontracted:

Michael Coad
Sam Iles
Danny Stanley
Marc Lock
Rex Liddy
Joel Tippett
Taylor Hine
Haydon Jolly
Matt Shaw
Jacob Gilbee
Joel Wilkinson
Jeremy Taylor
Jake Crawford
Alik Magin
Trent McKenzie
Roland AhChee
Lewis Moss

75606119.jpg

Tradeweek

Steven May for Justin Westhoff (Port Adelaide)
Daniel Harris for Shane Mumford (Sydney)
Jared Brennan for Daniel Wells (North Melbourne)
Charlie Dixon and Pick 56 for Michael Johnson (Fremantle)*
Tom Nicholls for Jed Adcock (Brisbane)
Jeremy Taylor for Ben McGlynn (Sydney)
Haydon Jolly for Aaron Davey (Melbourne)
Daniel Wells, Daniel Gorringe and Pick 22 for Brendon Goddard and David Armitage (St Kilda)*
Piers Flanagan for Nathan Grima (North Melbourne)
Trent McKenzie for Colin Garland (Melbourne)
Josh Fraser for Simon Black (Brisbane)*
Campbell Brown and Joel Hutchins for Nathan Foley (Richmond)*
Joseph Daye for Chad Cornes (Port Adelaide)
Karmichael Hunt and Liam Patrick for Courtenay Dempsey (Essendon)

*I offered, otherwise the rest were offered to me

I went out of my way to pick up some experienced players, including a couple of their last legs (Black, Cornes). The idea isn't to try and garner more wins, but to provide solid backup and leadership to the younger players around the club. Considering I was only losing a few delistees for them, I figure it was worth it. I think there's quite a few talls we've brought in because we were lacking in defence. There will be some real competition for spots from now on. I'm particularly excited about the inclusions of Goddard and Armitage to our midfield.

75606119.jpg

Gold Coast Suns welcome new players

GOLD Coast welcomed its new additions to its club this afternoon, with an array of ages on show to don the Suns colours. Simon Black and Chad Cornes looked odd in other colours after so many years at the one team, but they'll add plenty of leadership to the team and provide some strong bodies around the contests. David Armitage was the youngest player recruited and he'll aim to get games in his first season amidst the many Gold Coast youngsters striving for those midfield positions.

Gold Coast Suns coach Peter Williams said despite recruiting experienced players, it would not change the way the Suns went about their direction. "We looked at our list and thought we have some elite talent, but it did drop away after the first 12-15 players and we probably had a few state-league standard players," he said. "We wanted to bring in those 12-15 players to bring the level of talent up a notch. In doing so, we've brought in several defenders, a ruck and a handful of midfielders as well as flankers such as Jed, Aaron and Courtenay to add to the strength of the side around the ground."

For Simon Black, it was a strange time. "It's hard to change clubs after so many years at one side," he said. "I have aspirations of coaching and I know at the Lions there are plenty of youngsters who are ready to take my spot, so I thought I could assist the development of the younger players more here."

For players like Justin Westhoff, they know breaking into the side will not be easy. "I'm here to work my butt off and try and find a spot in that talented forward line," he said. "With guys like Sam Day and Tom Lynch in there, I hope I can slot in and really play my role wherever that is required. I know there's a lot of guys competing for a few available spots, so I'm up for the challenge."

Utility Brendon Goddard moved from the premiers St Kilda to the 16th placed Suns in a surprise move. "I know many people will be puzzled why I moved," he said. "It was a culmination of achieving all I could at St Kilda as well as sustained success. I'm really excited to be here on the Gold Coast and can't wait to get into it."

The big changes meant big expectations for the Suns, but coach Williams is ready for the critics. "We won't change our direction for anyone or anything," he said. "We aim to be more competitive this year, while we don't have a set number of wins in mind, we want to improve on the field and become a team that no-one else enjoys playing. We now look to the drafts to acquire some top-end talent to add to the already established elite talent we have here."

Tradeweek additions:

Justin Westhoff (Port Adelaide)
Shane Mumford (Sydney)
Michael Johnson (Fremantle)
Jed Adcock (Brisbane)
Ben McGlynn (Sydney)
Aaron Davey (Melbourne)
Brendon Goddard (St Kilda)
David Armitage (St Kilda)
Nathan Grima (North Melbourne)
Colin Garland (Melbourne)
Simon Black (Brisbane)
Nathan Foley (Richmond)
Chad Cornes (Port Adelaide)
Courtenay Dempsey (Essendon)

75606119.jpg

Ablett wins Gold Coast Suns best and fairest

GOLD Coast captain Gary Ablett has won the inaugural best and fair award and was the sole Sun named in the side. He polled 110 votes to take it from other Suns players Sam Day, Dion Prestia, David Swallow and Zac Smith. Ablett was also named on the wing in the All-Australian team and polled 24 votes to finish fourth in the Brownlow behind Aaron Sandilands who ran away with it on 35 votes.

Key forward Sam Day booted 71 goals in his debut season to finish seventh overall, with Nick Riewoldt kicking 97 goals to take out the media.

Travis Coyler from Essendon won the Rising Star Medal despite nominations from Josh Toy, Harley Bennell, Dion Prestia, Zac Smith, Josh Caddy and Sam Day.

75606119.jpg

Gold Coast delistees

GOLD Coast has announced its numerous delistees for season 2011 with the following players told their contracts will not be renewed:

Nathan Ablett
Sam Iles
Danny Stanley
Marc Lock
Rex Liddy
Joel Tippett
Taylor Hine
Matt Shaw
Jacob Gilbee
Joel Wilkinson
Jake Crawford
Alik Magin
Roland AhChee
Lewis Moss

75606119.jpg

Gold Coast 2011 National Draft selections:

#2 Corey Bint (Glenelg) - Tall Forward (75/95) 192cm, 95kg

We actually weren't going to select a tall forward with our first pick, but with the top player being taggers and one ruck, we had the second pick. Because the ruck went first pick, we dropped down to Bint who was probably the fourth or fifth ranked overall. We're really happy with the pick and can certainly see him getting games this year. He's increadibly strong overhead with a great vertical leap, good courage and excellent leadership. He's one of those guys that has no trouble bringing down big marks and he's pretty similar to Jonathan Brown as an 18 year-old.

#21 Dylan Goodiff (East Fremantle) - Utility (71/85) 183cm, 88kg

Dylan is a 19 year-old who has elite acceleration and skill. He can play outside mid, as a tagger, off a back flank or from a forward flank, which is really important. We thin he'll be a very good player for us and we're excited to see what he has to offer at AFL level.

#39 Brayden Bartlett (North Ballarat) - Mid/Fwd (69/85) 186cm, 86kg

Brayden is another 19 year-old who is primarily and outside mid/forward. At this pick we went with best available and Brayden has plenty of X-factor and strong attributes around the ground to be a very serviceable player for us in the future.

---

2011 Rookie Draft selections:

#2 Jack Weich (Sandringham) - Ruck (64/81) 204cm, 98kg

#19 Tristan Makowski (West Adelaide) - Inside Mid (62/78) 178cm, 85kg

#36 Nicolas Jolley (East Fremantle) - Tall Forward (62/78) 193cm, 96kg

#53 Jackson Buisson (Bendigo) Outside Mid (57/77) 184cm, 85kg

75606119.jpg

Jolley good time for Nicolas

NICOLAS Jolley has become the first Gold Coast Suns player to be elevated onto the senior list. The South Fremantle recruit has been impressing at training and although he's very raw, has done enough to secure one of the two places on the senior list available by two less players.

Jolley said he was thrilled to be upgraded. "I know it's a long way to go and I don't expect to be in the side Round 1 or anything like that, but getting upgraded is a step closer to a game," he said. "I still have a lot to learn, but I just put my best foot forward and so happy to be recognised for my efforts."

Coach Peter Williams said Jolley had earned his spot on the senior list. "He's a real goer," he said. "I loved his aggression he put into every session and while he's very green around the ears as they say, he has not put a foot wrong this preseason and that's why he's earned his spot."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

75606119.jpg

NAB Challenge: R1 vs Geelong

GOLD Coast showed signs of the future, but were unable to come away with the win against Geelong at Skilled Stadium. The Suns went down by 18 points, but held their own for three quarters, both level 6.9 (45) at three quarter time. Unfortunately for the Suns, a five goal burst by the Cats put an end to that, with goals late in the quarter cutting the margin back to 18. Geelong dominated possession and had 68 inside 50s, but the Suns were able to quell the efforts and rebound well. The Suns also won the contested marks and tackle count as well as the hitouts. On the otherhand, Geelong won the clearances 26-20.

Nathan Krakouer and Brendon Goddard were influential off half back with 63 disposals and 20 rebounds between them. The midfield was heavily rotated with Ablett spending a lot of time forward as did Rischitelli, while Harbrow and Caddy were given tagging roles at times. Caddy was first assigned to Selwood, but after Enright finished with 21 disposals at half time, he switched to the rebounding Cat, who finished with 28 - only seven in the second half. Dylan Goodiff was the sub who came on late in the third quarter and helped himself to eight disposals and four inside 50s. Brayden Bartlett played the majority of the game in the forward pocket, booting three goals from seven disposals, but had two out on the fulls and a behind as well which stopped him from having a day out. Corey Bint also played but kicked an inaccurate 1.5. The biggest disappointment was Dion Prestia who played three quarters in the midfield but only had one kick late in the quarter before being subbed off for Goodiff.

Geelong 11.11 (77)
Gold Coast 8.11 (59)

Goals: Bartlett (3), Ablett, Bennell, Armitage, Day, Bint.
Best: Krakouer, Mumford, Johnson, Goddard, Armitage
Injuries: Nil.
Reports: Nil.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back