Gold Coast Suns Pre-Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Rowell, Anderson and Hollands. Going to be a special midfield one day combined with Ainsworth, Flanders, Bowes, Weller and Sharp.
Then with King, Lukosius and Rankine up forward..
Need to win a flag with this group and not under perform like GWS.

Found this article from pre season 2018.
Looks as though Brandon Ellis was Richmonds best runner too.

"Kane Lambert is regarded as the fittest player at Tigerland, but he was beaten to the line in the Tigers' 3km time trial by teammate Brandon Ellis. After an excellent season in defence in 2018, Ellis is doing everything required to improve again and has found a perfect balance with his strength and running ability"

That Murtagh guy is huge!
No kidding! Hard to believe he only just started his second AFL preseason.

yOATySR.jpg

p99wMAR.jpg

TFxB3ED.jpg
BPBzlrw.jpg

Just to avoid any confusion about natural physique, here is a picture of Murtagh from 10 months ago and you can see he is considerably smaller in terms of muscle mass:

ZDAOlfD.jpg

For perspective, compare Murtagh's current size to Buddy in his second AFL season given both are 196cm key forwards and Franklin is known for his size these days:

fJR4vAI.jpg

HHsWufS.jpg

In Murtagh's first preseason he looked like Buddy in his second year. Now he looks a lot bigger than Buddy at the same stage in his career. If this kid can develop his skills to an adequate level then we could have a gem on our hands! Kurt Tippett is probably the perfect person to mentor him considering he had a very similar pathway into the AFL.

No kidding! Hard to believe he only just started his second AFL preseason.

yOATySR.jpg

p99wMAR.jpg

TFxB3ED.jpg
BPBzlrw.jpg

Just to avoid any confusion about natural physique, here is a picture of Murtagh from 10 months ago and you can see he is considerably smaller in terms of muscle mass:

ZDAOlfD.jpg

For perspective, compare Murtagh's current size to Buddy in his second AFL season given both are 196cm key forwards and Franklin is known for his size these days:

fJR4vAI.jpg

HHsWufS.jpg

In Murtagh's first preseason he looked like Buddy in his second year. Now he looks a lot bigger than Buddy at the same stage in his career. If this kid can develop his skills to an adequate level then we could have a gem on our hands! Kurt Tippett is probably the perfect person to mentor him considering he had a very similar pathway into the AFL.
Not sure on the Buddy comparison.
Think your comment on Tippett is spot on.

I was trying to find details of his athletics history to get an idea of how good his athletic testing was.
Couldn't actually find much.

Few results from UQ decathlon's where he ran 11.7 for the 100m which is decent but not super rapid.

We hear this sort of stuff every year. What I want to see is this translate into matches with the team running out full length games (not the COVID shortened stuff), and not getting hammered in time on.

With such a large percentage of the team under 24, you would expect most of them to be hitting PBs each pre-season unless they were putting on mass amounts of muscle (King, Graham, hopefully Ballard).

The exciting things to come out of this sort of news though, are when the likes of Rankine, who struggled massively with the running last year, are breaking into the top 5, or when Brodie, who’s aerobic capacity is one of the things keeping him out of the team, is up and about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With such a large percentage of the team under 24, you would expect most of them to be hitting PBs each pre-season unless they were putting on mass amounts of muscle (King, Graham, hopefully Ballard).

The exciting things to come out of this sort of news though, are when the likes of Rankine, who struggled massively with the running last year, are breaking into the top 5, or when Brodie, who’s aerobic capacity is one of the things keeping him out of the team, is up and about.

yep. Rankine and Brodie were the two standout tidbits for me.
Also noticed Charlie Ballard looking bigger / stronger in one of the recent club videos, and Dewey saying on radio Kingy has put on 4-6kg.

Some interesting Footywire facts on SUNS average age in 2020 (at least for me).

In 17 rounds SUNS fielded the youngest team 11x, 2x equal the youngest (both times equal with Swans).

Swans were the youngest 3x, WB 1x.

SUNS fielded the team younger than 24 years 7x (2x 23 years 2 months).

Swans were the only other team fielding a line-up below 24 and only 1x (23 years 8 months).

Interestingly, SUNS fielded teams below 24 in round 1 and then all rounds after 10 except one. It just confirm that SUNS strategy in 2020 was putting games into young core despite having some mature bodies available.

In 2021, looking at current age profile, best 22 and depth, SUNS will most probably never field a team below 24 years.

SUNS best 22 round 1 will be around 24 years and 3 months.

Yeah I agree, thats why I didn't say it was significant. Just posting it.

We’ve been seeing shoenfield clean up the time trial for years but shown on game day when given opportunity didn’t mean much

Yeah but he was just s**t. Didn't matter if he ran well or not. If Rankine runs a significantly better time it means something as he is a prodigous talent. Absolutely stupid analogy.

Yeah but he was just sh*t. Didn't matter if he ran well or not. If Rankine runs a significantly better time it means something as he is a prodigous talent. Absolutely stupid analogy.

I was meaning 2km time trial doesn’t really mean a lot.. just because you run fast over 2km doesn’t mean you can run out a game so probably not really that stupid of analogy when you look at the bigger picture

I was meaning 2km time trial doesn’t really mean a lot.. just because you run fast over 2km doesn’t mean you can run out a game so probably not really that stupid of analogy when you look at the bigger picture
It's an indicator of fitness, not the be all and end all. Everyone knows that. Pointing out the obvious with a pretty thoughtless analogy.

Ok then I’ll let you keep getting excited over PB 2km time trial.. good day to you sir
Where did I show excitement at all? I simply posted the fact and nothing else. I then later reiterated that I was just reposting it. Go read my post before you make assumptions.

Any chance our Round 1 match against the Eagles at Optus Stadium gets moved now that the WA borders are about to shut?

Any chance our Round 1 match against the Eagles at Optus Stadium gets moved now that the WA borders are about to shut?

This WA lockdown is only supposed to last a week isn’t it? so unlikely it would have any impact on our match in a month and a half.

But in saying that, with the way borders are being opened and closed at the moment, who knows what travel options the AFL has available by March.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back