Gold Coast Suns Pre-Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get too negative fellas, its only a practice match. Results don't matter, its good to see Rowell get a run, players like Brodie, Lemmens & Burgess in new positions. Daniher and Hipwood will be hard to stop all year they are tall and quick.

Remember we are playing last year's prelim finalist and also a bogey team we haven't won in a while. Yes it's nice to win and look half decent today but Brisbane sound like they are too good.

Keen for the full replay Monday

Two games today, hopefully alot of content.

Wouldn't mind something like SunsTV back. Wil Powell/Brandon Ellis/Oleg Markov to host?

Dunno about Lemmens down back. His inability to hit targets by foot is why we moved him to play up forward.

Good to get a practice game done. Be keen to watch the game next week. Sounds like Oleg was good.
He has the pace to match the elite small forwards of the competition.

BUTTT

By foot - not polished
AND he is an absolute bull in a china shop - always. goes 100% to his credit, but some situations require less than 100%. Always gives a lot of free kicks away - playing against the guys who are masters at drawing a free kick - the small forward, I worry we are going to be giving up lots of free shots at goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another year, another flogging and a Suns team that can’t hit a target
Another year, another flogging and a Suns team that can’t hit a target

Jeez, just a first scratch match after long pre-season. I guess, Eagles were flogged yesterday too. At least wait until you watch the game tomorrow to claim that players can't hit the target :)

Yes, Lions (who are a top 4 team) jumped us but according to Boswell and Whiting there was not too much difference between teams after first QTR. On a positive note, it seems like Brodie and Markov played well and Rowell survived (including a couple of mistakes leading to Lions goals).

By the way, I watched 4 other scratch matches and it was a dog's breakfast except Melbourne vs Richmond. Very crappy, mistakes riddled games, hard to watch. It almost turned me anti AFL.

Last edited:
I kind of dislike how they ay 'its our first opposition hit out so you can. expect some rust'
Brisbane are exactly the same situation and they came out and killed it.

Obviously not going to throw the toys out of the cot but would like us to come out hot next week

Last edited:
I kind of dislike how they ay 'its our first opposition hit out so you can. expect some rust'

Obviously not going to through the toys out of the cot but would like us to come out hot next week
Yes, I would expect better performance next week from the beginning.

If you listen to commentary and players SUNS did not match the intensity in 1st QTR and basically from every mistake Lions scored. Not great but no reason to go nuts about it (generally speaking).

Last edited:

Obviously not going to throw the toys out of the cot but would like us to come out hot next week
A couple years ago we beat Brisbane handily in our scratch-y and went on to have pretty much polar opposite seasons.

Not much to read into IMO.

We demolished Brisbane in a scratch match 2 years ago by a similar margin. They went on to be minor premiers and we came dead last. Means absolutely nothing.

We demolished Brisbane in a scratch match 2 years ago by a similar margin. They went on to be minor premiers and we came dead last. Means absolutely nothing.
Didn't we also humiliate Cats the last pre-season? This year, it looks like finally we are on the right track :)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back