Gold Coast Suns Pre-Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it might’ve just been an easy bruise-free game for both teams tonight. Defence looked to be optional.

Although lord help us if that was how games will be played. Our inability to consistently hit easy targets will quickly be our undoing.
Yep we’re gonna get spanked on turnovers in games this year.

This Collingwood Richmond game is also just completely outside.
More than 2 uncontested : 1 contested possessions, both teams going about 80% disposal efficiency.

Last year we went at about 2.7 uncontested : 2 contested possessions with 67% disposal efficiency.

Garry Lyon has said numerous times that this is clearly the year for the good kicks.. the poor kicks will be exposed. It seems very very obvious watching.

We have Lukosius, Weller as good kicks in the middle.
So many below average - poor kicks

I'm distressed! I don't think this will be good for us at all :(

More than 2 uncontested : 1 contested possessions, both teams going about 80% disposal efficiency.

Last year we went at about 2.7 uncontested : 2 contested possessions with 67% disposal efficiency.

Garry Lyon has said numerous times that this is clearly the year for the good kicks.. the poor kicks will be exposed. It seems very very obvious watching.

Rankine, Ainsworth, Markov all good kicks as well. We have some good speed and power just need to utilize it correctly

There’s a reason we’ve historically been an above average pre-season team. Nothing on the line, players looking to avoid injury and teams focusing more on implementing new game plans then stopping the opposition.

Let’s see what happens round 1 before hitting the panic button.

Rankine, Ainsworth, Markov all good kicks as well. We have some good speed and power just need to utilize it correctly
Rankine is a good kick
Ainsworth - can't agree - I think he is average at best
Markov - looks like he could be, haven't seen enough to decide either way.

how many dump kickers do we have, I bet we’re above the average.

Brodie, Miller, Bellis, Swallow, Greenwood, Fiorini all dump kicks into 50.
Wil Powell is a great kick

In the middle, I would say only Swallow is below average kicker and possibly Greenwood. The rest is fine IMO. Greenwood's lower DE is mainly caused by his insatiable desire to dispose the ball by foot no matter what. Here are the numbers - Swallow 61 , Miller 70, Greenwood 58, Rowell 72, Anderson 63, Weller 65. Here are e.g. Lions - Neale 63, Lyons 63, McCluggage 65, Berry 69. Brodie is a good kicker if he gets opportunity.

I think our lowest DE in the league 67 had more to do with putting games into very young players (in most games we played the youngest team, often below 24 years average age), learning positions, team plan, building synergy while still not being fully physically developed. Players struggled to protect the possession under pressure.

I would say a typical example how putting games into young players affect team DE is Budarick. We all love how he approaches the game and agree that he should be a long term player. But his DE was ordinary as HB - 68%. Compare that to e.g. Lions Rich - 78%.

I actually think the new mark rule will assist us. It looks like players have more time and more space to kick the ball. Also we showed the last year that we want and can move ball quickly and take games on. More space will only help us with it. Some passages of games when we run through oppositions were actually impressive.

In defence, I am happy to have a ball in the hands of Markov, Luko, Powell, Bowes to initiate attack. Nothing wrong with Atkins (probably), Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Weller in the middle. Rankine is a great kicker. Jeffrey while not ready has a great kick too.

Let's see what the season brings. I learned not to take pre-season games seriously.

The last comparison with Lions - when they were losing 3-4 years ago under Fagan the half of the team looked like they don't belong. Once they started winning suddenly all players look great. Winning and confidence do wonders to players performance.

By the way, Lyon's constant rumbling about obvious facts - sorry, I can't take him seriously.

Last edited:
In the middle, I would say only Swallow is below average kicker and possibly Greenwood. The rest is fine IMO. Greenwood's lower DE is mainly caused by his insatiable desire to dispose the ball by foot no matter what. Here are the numbers - Swallow 61 , Miller 70, Greenwood 58, Rowell 72, Anderson 63, Weller 65. Here are e.g. Lions - Neale 63, Lyons 63, McCluggage 65, Berry 69. Brodie is a good kicker if he gets opportunity.

I think our lowest DE in the league 67 had more to do with putting games into very young players (in most games we played the youngest team, often below 24 years average age), learning positions, team plan, building synergy while still not being fully physically developed. Players struggled to protect the possession under pressure.

I would say a typical example how putting games into young players affect team DE is Budarick. We all love how he approaches the game and agree that he should be a long term player. But his DE was ordinary as HB - 68%. Compare that to e.g. Lions Rich - 78%.

I actually think the new mark rule will assist us. It looks like players have more time and more space to kick the ball. Also we showed the last year that we want and can move ball quickly and take games on. More space will only help us with it. Some passages of games when we run through oppositions were actually impressive.

In defence, I am happy to have a ball in the hands of Markov, Luko, Powell, Bowes to initiate attack. Nothing wrong with Atkins (probably), Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Weller in the middle. Rankine is a great kicker. Jeffrey while not ready has a great kick too.

Let's see what the season brings. I learned not to take pre-season games seriously.

The last comparison with Lions - when they were losing 3-4 years ago under Fagan the half of the team looked like they don't belong. Once they started winning suddenly all players look great. Winning and confidence do wonders to players performance.

By the way, Lyon's constant rumbling about obvious facts - sorry, I can't take him seriously.
Oh yeah I’m not putting much stock into Lyon. But he is right in thatthe gamesyle is obviously different.

I’d say our mids in general are more crash and bash.

time will tell

Brodie, Miller, Bellis, Swallow, Greenwood, Fiorini all dump kicks into 50.
Wil Powell is a great kick

Wil Powell is not a great kick - he attempts great kicks and 50% of the time those kicks result in turnovers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think limited rotations combined with 20 min quarters could have even more impact on the game than the mark rule. Fatigue is definitely settling in late in the games. Hopefully, we are not far off becoming a hard running team. I would love to see SUNS run over teams. Problem is that other teams improve too.

I am minority, but I have to say, going back to 20 min quarters, the games are dragging on for me. 18 min would be my choice.

Wil Powell is not a great kick - he attempts great kicks and 50% of the time those kicks result in turnovers
I disagree. IMHO, Powell has a very nice kick. He spent probably only 5 games in defence and his DE was 74%. If he spends the whole year in defence, it will go up. Yes, half of his disposals were handballs. But he seems to be encouraged to take high risk/high reward kicks similar to Lukosius. BTW, we all agree that Lukosius is a great kick but his DE is 70%, 3/4 are kicks. Not even close to e.g. Lions Rich (78.4%, 80% kicks).

Last edited:
I disagree. IMHO, Powell has a very nice kick. He spent probably only 5 games in defence and his DE was 74%. If he spends the whole year in defence, it will go up. Yes, half of his disposals were handballs. But he seems to be encouraged to take high risk/high rewards kicks similar to Lukosius. BTW, we all agree that Lukosius is a great kick but his DE is 70%, 3/4 are kicks. Not even close e.g. Rich (78.4%, 80% kicks).
Lukosius has got to learn to choose when to laser it and to temper his kicks sometimes.
He drilled a 20m pass 1 meter off the ground to a leading Sam Day who had a defender right on his tail at the back flank last week. Wrong choice.

Lukosius has got to learn to choose when to laser it and to temper his kicks sometimes.
He drilled a 20m pass 1 meter off the ground to a leading Sam Day who had a defender right on his tail at the back flank last week. Wrong choice.
Agree, often is the wrong kick choice our players take. Also sometimes kicks look stupid when if fact a teammate was not where he was supposed to be. The longer players play together the better they become as a team.

Agree, often is the wrong kick choice our players take. Also sometimes kicks look stupid when if fact a teammate was not where he was supposed to be. The longer players play together the better they become as a team.
One of the big benefits of our small injury list is most of the best 22 has played a full season together.

One of the big benefits of our small injury list is most of the best 22 has played a full season together.
Yes, hopefully. I listened recently to Rayner's interview. He said something like that only now after 3 plus years the team learned how to play together and take advantage of it. It became their second nature, don't have to think about it.

I still think we need one more year. By who knows, I am not expert. Just can't wait for the season to start. I do want to see progress. We can't really afford to have a bad year. It could spell trouble for keeping young players happy. Next 2 years are crucial for SUNS future.

To me this says more about Sam than Luko, Sam is a 10 year player and still can’t get free or create space.

Rankine is a good kick
Ainsworth - can't agree - I think he is average at best
Markov - looks like he could be, haven't seen enough to decide either way.

Ainsworth seems to be pretty good at two types of kick, the 15m short pass and the 40m high floaty ball.
If there is space then it can work out fine, but does not seem to have enough penetration for anything else including kicking goals from further out than 40m.

So average is about right. Good at some things, poor at others.

Watching Lions vs GIANTS game. All credit to Lions girls. They play a beautiful footy. Anybody who criticises AFLW should watch them. And that's while girls are only part-time players and have regular jobs. I can only imagine how good AFLW would be if girls were full professionals. Lions rookie players are great.

I disagree. IMHO, Powell has a very nice kick. He spent probably only 5 games in defence and his DE was 74%. If he spends the whole year in defence, it will go up. Yes, half of his disposals were handballs. But he seems to be encouraged to take high risk/high reward kicks similar to Lukosius. BTW, we all agree that Lukosius is a great kick but his DE is 70%, 3/4 are kicks. Not even close to e.g. Lions Rich (78.4%, 80% kicks).

I'll clarify and say he's better than most on the team, which is why him, Luko and Weller have the green light to take that in risky inboard kick, just that a fair few times that difficult thread the needle kick doesn't come off for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back