Best rebrand option

• Total voters
Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Awesome stuff there! How about making one with charcoal (or black) and gold, similar to Vegas Golden Knights colour scheme?
thanks! not too familiar with that team but was something like this in your mind?

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Totally staggering that the AFL has never been called to account why they started a club on the Gold Coast when Southport Sharks, an established club already existed, wanted the AFL licence and could have easily accepted the financial losses that have come with running a new club on the Gold Coast.
Here's a link to the 2015/16 Sharks annual report: https://southportsharks.com.au/app/uploads/2017/08/SHK-608611-2016-Annual-Report-5A-WEB.pdf
Yes, they have 3 million dollars in the bank, and an overall position of 41 Million in value.
Yes, the Southport Sharks turnover was slightly more than the Gold Coast Suns, who had AFL opponents for Gate Receipts, Sponsorship and an AFL Distribution. (also larger than Port & GWS)
Yes, they have infrastructure in place to run a footy club on the Gold Coast, training ground, world class gym etc
Yes, they already have 50,000 members (who are there for the cheap meals, Conference Centre, Gym & Hotel the club owns.)

And yet, the AFL started up the Suns in a couple of portable classrooms, and had most of the talent they gave them access to leave the club as soon as they could.
Who knows what could have been had they given up some of the control to an organisation who already runs a successful club on the Gold Coast.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
Let's just stop with the Lifeguard colours altogether, please
What is so wrong with the Lifeguard colours. It gives the club an image to publicise themselves with. West Coast went with gold and blue because gold and black where Western Australian colours, but Richmond had those so used blue instead. Adelaide went with blue, red and gold because they were South Australian colours.

The Red and Gold colours are what the Gold Coast culture is all about. Moving away from them hasn't proved successful before. The Gold Coast Titans wear blue and gold and haven't proven successful. So didn't the purple, black and green of the Gold Coast Gladiators, also the black orange and white of the Gold Coast Seagulls. In basketball they blue and orange with the Gold Coast Blaze and Green and Blue with the Gold Coast Rollers.

The Lifesavers have an image that you would like for a football club, sticking with them can only be good for the club.
Yellow and Orange are our colours.

End of story.
Orange? Red dude. In our club song
Orange is the colour on the other new teams jumper, the Greater Western Sydney Giants
suAG1Zz.jpg

Totally staggering that the AFL has never been called to account why they started a club on the Gold Coast when Southport Sharks, an established club already existed, wanted the AFL licence and could have easily accepted the financial losses that have come with running a new club on the Gold Coast.
Here's a link to the 2015/16 Sharks annual report: https://southportsharks.com.au/app/uploads/2017/08/SHK-608611-2016-Annual-Report-5A-WEB.pdf
Yes, they have 3 million dollars in the bank, and an overall position of 41 Million in value.
Yes, the Southport Sharks turnover was slightly more than the Gold Coast Suns, who had AFL opponents for Gate Receipts, Sponsorship and an AFL Distribution. (also larger than Port & GWS)
Yes, they have infrastructure in place to run a footy club on the Gold Coast, training ground, world class gym etc
Yes, they already have 50,000 members (who are there for the cheap meals, Conference Centre, Gym & Hotel the club owns.)

And yet, the AFL started up the Suns in a couple of portable classrooms, and had most of the talent they gave them access to leave the club as soon as they could.
Who knows what could have been had they given up some of the control to an organisation who already runs a successful club on the Gold Coast.
I don't think Collingwood would enjoy another "Magpies" club joining the AFL, also another club that wears black and white.

When Gold Coast entered the competition in 2011 everything wasn't wasn't looking rosey for the Port Adelaide Football Club. They weren't the example of what you want a new club to be like. Putting Southport into the AFL from the QAFL isn't the same as putting Port Adelaide into the AFL from the SANFL. Port Adelaide is the history, the passion and the tradition of a nearly 150 year old club. The best that Southport could have been for the AFL was a starting point for the Suns. The 50,000 members are not there for the football, they are there for the cheap meals, conference centre, gym and hotel.

The AFL wouldn't have the control that they have over the team like they do now. Would we have control of the new Carrara ground if it was the Sharks instead of the Suns.

The main problem with the Gold Coast Suns was that they where the first club of two clubs coming into the AFL. The Suns came in and the Giants followed. The Suns didn't have time to gather the players needed to produce a successful team. They had another team entering a year later who was taking all the picks that they had to recruit their players for their team. It would have been better to introduce the Suns, give them five years to bring their list together then introduce the Giants. It may have been a longer process and taken four more years to have the 18 teams we have today, but it would have produced a better Suns team.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Not necessarily saying make them play in Southport's colours.
Port don't play in Port's colours, for example.

The AFL registered Gold Coast FC in December 2007.
When Gold Coast was announced it was 2008.
Port had made the Grand Final the year before. (Got flogged, but they were in it)
As for what sort of a club Port were, they had a football background, but they had little income.
Southport make more in a month that Port make in a year.
They have a club, a pub, a hotel, a gym, and they have a footy club.

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
K8wG5pL.jpg

My previous post didn't have everyone happy.
Awesome monogram you've got there.
I'd suggest toning the brightness of the yellow down to match that of the lifesaver yellow colour but apart from that great kit.
Too similar to what they already have. Which sucks.
So I changed the design and produced this.
DcAeIeJ.jpg

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
I still prefer the golden sides of my previous Gold Coast jumper, but I created this new one to please what people and what they said about it. Sometimes you have to forget what you want and please the people.

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
Sorry wizardwaffle for absolutely butchering your logo mate but you get the idea. Thoughts? It's supposed to be a beach flag thingy innit.

View attachment 752736
Actually my away jumper would be the designed it would be how the lifesaving flags are actually are. So I have recoloured the jumpers so the red and gold jumpers are the home jumpers instead of the gold and red jumpers like before.

u5LTJHy.jpg

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Curious, if things go belly up on the Gold Coast, is there potential for Southport to take over and rebrand?
financially, if the afl determines dire straights on the coast i doubt they'd be looking for southport to take up the slack. i'm sure the afl sees their baby as a long term investment, which has already seen massive improvements in junior afl numbers, which will help in the generational approach to interest in footy. so things going belly up may take a while to happen if at all, but you'd think they'd want to maintain a solid presence of the sporting market in the 6th largest city in australia.

i think for the sharks to invest a large percentage of their existence into what would be a failing club would be a gutsy move. they're supposedly doing pretty good on their own already, so tbh i can't really see it happening.

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
Gold Coast was never allowed to develop and progress like the Giants did. The Suns were introduced in 2011 with GWS coming in the next year, 2012. Gold Coast had only one chance to get the hottest talent in the country, the 2011 National Draft. They never had the opportunity to play a season and then go back and get what they need.

Greater Western Sydney took the top positions in the draft to take the best talent in the country for several drafts, and developed a list that has gone on to reach a Grand Final. Gold Coast had to take the draft second choices. The Suns should have been introduced and allowed to develop for three to five years before the Giants came in. The talent at the Suns could have been developed and recruited around and settled into a team before the other team came in. Starting a team from beginning with no tradition is hard. The Eagles, Crows, Dockers and Power had that to develop from. The Bears showed us that it is hard to develop a team from scratch. They developed from 1988 to 1996 and ended up merging to form the Brisbane Lions.

Back