Review Gold Coast SUNS v Port Adelaide Round 9 2018 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Re-goalkicking, 40+ years ago my B grade coach told me to kick thru he ball when shooting for goal. Dad did too. And all the ex-playrs who commentated as well.

Has anything changed over the years to dispute that theory.

I see us miss so many shots from within 30 metres, where the behind the player camera shot shows the ball going thr at 1/3rd post height andbarely clearing tbe fence ie. they are "steering" it thru, not firmly kicking thru the ball.

Just send it half to 2/3rds post high, and still on the upward trajectory, when it crosses tbe line.

The stering chip kick seems to me to end up with the leg not going thru in a straight line, but with a little bias to one side or the other. Hence the ball goes left or right, but often not straight in a line from where it is kicked. Plus there seems a bit of a bent knee as well.

Maybe my imagination? Perhaps the biomechanists out there can confirm or deny my waffle :drunk:

Boak still getting hammered I see. Bigger whipping boy than S. Gray or Neade for sure.

8 missed shots from inside 50 from 8 different players.

It isn't just the missed ones, it's the others like Wingard passing to gray when the pass was significantly harder than the shot he had which went out of bounds.
We have players running around and calling for the ball when they aren't even clear, just have some composure and confidence that your teammates can kick it.

It isn't just the missed ones, it's the others like Wingard passing to gray when the pass was significantly harder than the shot he had which went out of bounds.
We have players running around and calling for the ball when they aren't even clear, just have some composure and confidence that your teammates can kick it.
Misses are so deflating and momentum sapping. The first quarter misses (eg from Robbie and Charlie) prevented what could have turned into a momentum surge and a six goal quarter time lead.

The trouble is it’s endemic. We don’t have a single reliable shot for goal any more, possibly with the exception of Ryder. They’re almost all 50-50 for set shots and no-one, including Wingard, copes with the difficult shot (eg from boundary line) very well. Unlike the Cows, we also have relatively few reliable set shots from 45m out or further. It was great to see SPP get his through.

Misses are so deflating and momentum sapping. The first quarter misses (eg from Robbie and Charlie) prevented what could have turned into a momentum surge and a six goal quarter time lead.

The trouble is it’s endemic. We don’t have a single reliable shot for goal any more, possibly with the exception of Ryder. They’re almost all 50-50 for set shots and no-one, including Wingard, copes with the difficult shot (eg from boundary line) very well. Unlike the Cows, we also have relatively few reliable set shots from 45m out or further. It was great to see SPP get his through.

Pretty sure we are hovering around the same percentage as every one else as far as conversion of opportunity goes? Think some of Charlie's misses are shockers but you get that.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/afl/2018/05/14/best-kick-for-goal-afl/amp/

Weve put ourselves in a good position to really attack top 4 after the bye
Worth emphasising that we're 6-3 going into the bye after playing 5 of the other 7 top 8 teams and going 3-2 against them. We play the other 2 in our next 2 matches. We couldn't have had a more challenging first half of the season.

Our first half always looked tough and the fixture opens up for us after round 12. Even if we go 1-1 against the Hawks and Tigers, top 4 is a realistic target.

When Rockliff plays like Rockliff it makes a huge difference to us.
Just nice to have a tough mid who isn’t a clanger king. The longer the new fellas play in our team the more it will gel ( hopefully]
Also I noticed that Ken was frustrated with the goal kicking, saying we spend so much tiime on it.
I must say the pressure he has been under the last 2 weeks with the non negotiable must wins of the showdown and Shanghai was palpable. Obviously those above have been heaping the pressure on him about these must wins.
Stoked for him and Boak that they achieved both.

Have a few days mental break fellas because you’ll need it before Hawks and Tigers. What a challenging early fixture we have had so far compared to the 2 grand finalists.

Re-goalkicking, 40+ years ago my B grade coach told me to kick thru he ball when shooting for goal. Dad did too. And all the ex-playrs who commentated as well.

Has anything changed over the years to dispute that theory.

I see us miss so many shots from within 30 metres, where the behind the player camera shot shows the ball going thr at 1/3rd post height andbarely clearing tbe fence ie. they are "steering" it thru, not firmly kicking thru the ball.

Just send it half to 2/3rds post high, and still on the upward trajectory, when it crosses tbe line.

The stering chip kick seems to me to end up with the leg not going thru in a straight line, but with a little bias to one side or the other. Hence the ball goes left or right, but often not straight in a line from where it is kicked. Plus there seems a bit of a bent knee as well.

Maybe my imagination? Perhaps the biomechanists out there can confirm or deny my waffle :drunk:

The most obvious Port player ( to me ) who has been doing that steering the ball bs when taking set shots, instead of kicking through it has been Jack Watts.
3 games in a row, including one at Etihad under the roof, he failed to make the distance from no more than about 30-35 metres out, and with no angle to speak of. o_O
It is so frustrating when golden opportunities like that are wasted, there would be high school footballers who could put the ball through post high from that close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still scratching my head about how we can play 4 out of 5 games in a row away from home in a two team town with the one home game being a 50/50 derby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have 4 out of 5 games at home from round 12-16. We've had a tough start but are in a pretty good position now.

Spot on, also the one where Wingard broke away and had Paddy running down the corridor but chose to take a nothing kick to the goal square.

Marshall is the man. He is a great kick for goal in his short time at the club in both the A's and B's.

No doubt he will get the yips at times through his career but he has the right fundamentals at this stage means he shouldn't become a chronic offender.

Just nice to have a tough mid who isn’t a clanger king. The longer the new fellas play in our team the more it will gel ( hopefully]
Also I noticed that Ken was frustrated with the goal kicking, saying we spend so much tiime on it.
I must say the pressure he has been under the last 2 weeks with the non negotiable must wins of the showdown and Shanghai was palpable. Obviously those above have been heaping the pressure on him about these must wins.
Stoked for him and Boak that they achieved both.

Have a few days mental break fellas because you’ll need it before Hawks and Tigers. What a challenging early fixture we have had so far compared to the 2 grand finalists.

I'm curious by what we meant by not having had a good day and that he got some things wrong..

Bar 5 seconds of heroics last week, Motlop has been bog average thus far this season.
The occasional flare but wow is it few and far between.
He was 10th highest of our players with 20 disposals last week which was more than 15 crows employees equal to 2 others. That's more than 5 seconds of heroics.

It's so annoying to see so many forwards from opposition teams kick goals from the boundary with near certainty. The players are almost more reliable at kicking them from the boundary than from 40 out straight in front these days. Except our players, who can't seem to do either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back