Preview Gold Coast Suns vs Brisbane Lions Saturday 27 April 2019 - 1.45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be happy to see Lewy running across the field into space , weve been lacking in this area.
Walker to take the mantle down back again , interesting Robbo named as a back.
Lester , probably no slower than Nick, but more to offer with the ball and can play as a leading forward or short stints in the middle.
If he plays his role he would be up on a few players still out there, if you consider last weeks effort.
I hope Answerth finds space ,this will be exiting .
Will we see an improved Cutler ? He will give us good penetration , could of used that last week.
Pretty happy with those ins and outs, maybe would of liked Basti for Lester, thought he played a good part in our first couple of games.

I'll be happy to see Lewy running across the field into space , weve been lacking in this area.
Walker to take the mantle down back again , interesting Robbo named as a back.
Lester , probably no slower than Nick, but more to offer with the ball and can play as a leading forward or short stints in the middle.
If he plays his role he would be up on a few players still out there, if you consider last weeks effort.
I hope Answerth finds space ,this will be exiting .
Will we see an improved Cutler ? He will give us good penetration , could of used that last week.
Pretty happy with those ins and outs, maybe would of liked Basti for Lester, thought he played a good part in our first couple of games.

FWIW, Robbo has been named in that spot the past 2 weeks as well.

We look better on paper this week but let's see if we play better on Saturday when it counts. Cutler and Taylor will give us more leg speed out wide which we have lacked.

Happy to see young Answerth get a game and he has clearly made an impression on the coaching staff to be picked ahead of others. I'm not against Lester being selected - he can play a number of positions and reads the play well - which he needs due to his lack of speed. Also brings a wiser head into the side.

Hoping Zorks has big one for his 150th game and if Miller goes to him at the first bounce surely the coaching staff move Zorks to half forward. See if Miller wants to play half back?

Our form has been very average last month but having seen the way Port played last week and todays Anzac Day game maybe we shouldn't be so harsh as all three sides look very strong.

We look better on paper this week but let's see if we play better on Saturday when it counts. Cutler and Taylor will give us more leg speed out wide which we have lacked.

Happy to see young Answerth get a game and he has clearly made an impression on the coaching staff to be picked ahead of others. I'm not against Lester being selected - he can play a number of positions and reads the play well - which he needs due to his lack of speed. Also brings a wiser head into the side.

Hoping Zorks has big one for his 150th game and if Miller goes to him at the first bounce surely the coaching staff move Zorks to half forward. See if Miller wants to play half back?

Our form has been very average last month but having seen the way Port played last week and todays Anzac Day game maybe we shouldn't be so harsh as all three sides look very strong.

Agreed.

On form Essendon and Collingwood both look like top 4 sides, and Port has been playing good (but inconsistently good) as well. I'm interested to see how the next month or two plays out, where our draw evens up a bit more.

Don’t mind the inclusions, although I would have selected Bastinac before Taylor. Lester is a good inclusion. He is a serviceable footballer and he has a good footy brain. At least with Lester, Fagan knows what he going to get. Unfortunately, we know what we are going to get with Taylor too. Expect brain farts, running around in small circles, no contested possessions and no defensive pressure or two way running.

McStay must be on his last chance in the senior side. He has given 3 parts of nothing this year as a forward. If he has another stinker Witherden might be given the opportunity to find form in the reserves.

Last edited:
pretty sure 2 of Taylor, Basti, Keays and Cutler where ins. Last weeks NEAFL game did not notice Lester much.
Answerth not a bad choice. Hinge or Allison where targets
Lester is serviceable although with Basti, Taylor and Cutler they all had their chances and we seen what they do.
Keays has had less chances then the above thought worth another go.
Bringing back these 3 instead of trying a second kid not sure on.

Honestly we probably not make the 8 this year although I hope we do next year.
We have 9 utility type guys who are not cemented in the 22 as kids gone past them.
Basti, Bundy, Keays, Lester, Robertson, Cutler, Taylor, Lester and Matho
If you look at the Cats and Tigers its the injection of youth that seem the spark.
Balta, Ross, Stack and Baker been great for Tigers and Atkins, Miers, Clark, Constable for the cats.
You cannot load up with young kids seeing we have a lot now, although maybe a second instead of one of Taylor,Cutler or Lester would of been good.
I would of looked at one of E Smith, Ballenden, Berry Jnr, Allison, Fullarton, Wooler, C Lyons or Hinge.

Lets not let the narrative creep out of control on Lewy. He has been squeezed out due to selection pressure and players we traded in. He is not 'scrap heap' material and has alot to offer still. He has his limitations, but I think he will improve in a better side. This kid has battled through years of being flogged and being down trodden, he gas given us his all which has been ok for the most part, let's not stamp his papers just yet. And, he would get picked up elsewhere, he is an AFL standard player.

Like I said we won’t win a game with bundy in the team. Bloke is cooked. Changed my tip to Brisbane now he’s been dropped. Excited for the game and our new debutant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Lester as a journeyman player. I think he is an experienced, tactically aware and team-first player who knows how to play multiple roles during a game if required, despite some athletic limitations. I think Lester-type players get games because of those reasons. They aren’t the stars and will eventually get overtaken by others but in the meantime, they do a job for the team. Sometimes I think some people here seem to demand our whole 22 should be current or future stars and that is just not the reality, for any club.

Personally I would love Lester to be used in some sort of development role after his playing days are over.

Culter needs to earn this spot. There's a reason he doesn't get called up till we suffer injury or lose - and it just has to be that he's not rated best 22.

We know he can provide the big moments from time to time but if he doesn't back it up with some real defensive, team first efforts I'd bet his time will be short. I actually struggle with his selection on that alone... as a team defensively we have be down badly in the last few games... you could argue Cutt's makes it worse. He's got a huge upside, I just hope he's worked on his weaknesses as well.

Which is why Lester sort of makes sense - he's the polar opposite. Team first full stop. Despite his short comings it's a trait ingrained in every action.

Interesting selections this week - lets see who grabs them by the ..... well you know.

So your definition of good work ethic is disposals?

He is not a shut down small defender, he is a utility type. You needn't look any further to several different player interviews last year on The Roar Deal and Lesters name was brought up several times for his defensive work off the ball and ability to play his role. That is off the back of work ethic.

You don't have to rate him as a player. I don't see him as best 22 either. But to call him useless, nothing but a bloke who should be delisted etc is just poor form as a supporter and factually incorrect.

Lester can hold a man up and take him out of the contest, has the ability to kick accurately off the turf when he needs to and sounds like he’s a pretty good leader back there. Not what I expected from Fages, but I like Lester. Good role players like Lester and Taylor will never be the guys that stand out, which is part of the reason they are s**t on a lot of the time, but they do their part.

100% agree with you.

Depends on whether or not we see team player Cuts or individual Cuts, that’s what I think is keeping him out of the side. Looked good from what I saw of him over the weekend, so maybe he’s finally got where he needs to be.

Don’t mind the inclusions, although I would have selected Bastinac before Taylor. Lester is a good inclusion. He is a serviceable footballer and he has a good footy brain. At least with Lester, Fagan knows what he going to get. Unfortunately, we know what we are going to get with Taylor too. Expect brain farts, running around in small circles, no contested possessions and no defensive pressure or two.

I am very well aware that you unreasonably don’t like Taylor, so I’ll keep this brief, but even the stuff you’ve brought up as a mark on him doesn’t happen every game and other players, when our team is being beat, have done the exact same thing. Happened last week without Lewy even being on the field.

Last year I said he either needed to be put in the forward line and kick more goals or improve his disposal count, which it seems he must’ve done one of those to get the call up. Apparently his disposal numbers in the twos are garnering attention from other clubs, so he must be doing something right.

People underestimate Lester. Can play Forward also. Lester is a better footballer than McStay.

If Lester was a better footballer than McStay, then Lester would be playing more games than McStay. As much as I’ve defended Lester and critiqued McStay (and said Fagans selection choices are dumb), Fagan knew what his winning team was going to be before the season began, he put that team out for 3 wins. Lester was not in that team and he’s clearly being kept on as the mini Hodge/mentor for the twos, should become a coach after he retires, isn’t a better player than McStay.

Like I said we won’t win a game with bundy in the team. Bloke is cooked. Changed my tip to Brisbane now he’s been dropped. Excited for the game and our new debutant

I deplore this kind of scapegoating.

You will look really stupid if we lose

Last 2 weeks we been beat on both speed and not defensive. I say out of the three Lester the best defensive.
Just looking on NEAFL app with tackles Taylor had 5 tackles last week avg 2 last year. So looks to improve and stick tackles.
Cutler got 1 tackle last week avgs 1.7.. Not super quick and runs one way.
As said I would of take 2 out of those 3 and another debutant with a bit of leg speed.

People underestimate Lester. Can play Forward also. Lester is a better footballer than McStay.

I liked your post but only because of the first and second sentences.

The last sentence is like saying apples are better than oranges.

I've never been a fan of Lester and the only reason I wondered if I was wrong was because the club has always seemed to value him highly so there must be a reason for that .

Taylor had some good games last year and at least provides a bit more bite . Cutler I would play every time because he has what we currently lack and really think he played some great games last year. Would probably be the longest kick on our list bar Hipwood when he's on the run .

Answerth. Dunno ,he's just a kid , does some nice things. Overall a freshen up of the playing group can often do wonders and gets the guys in there a bit more motivated.

On a broader level we'd have to be disappointed if the Suns were winning more games than us after 6 rounds

I liked your post but only because of the first and second sentences.

The last sentence is like saying apples are better than oranges.
True, they play different positions and roles.

What I should have done is write it like this "footballer" and I think it would make more sense. By this I mean, he displays a greater understanding of the game, is more aware of what is happening around him and is more versatile because he has a more complete range of skills. This is why he is so valuable to our club and why he has been part of our Leadership group.

https://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-10-03/lester-signs-on-

Lester can hold a man up and take him out of the contest, has the ability to kick accurately off the turf when he needs to and sounds like he’s a pretty good leader back there. Not what I expected from Fages, but I like Lester. Good role players like Lester and Taylor will never be the guys that stand out, which is part of the reason they are s**t on a lot of the time, but they do their part.

100% agree with you.

Depends on whether or not we see team player Cuts or individual Cuts, that’s what I think is keeping him out of the side. Looked good from what I saw of him over the weekend, so maybe he’s finally got where he needs to be.

I am very well aware that you unreasonably don’t like Taylor, so I’ll keep this brief, but even the stuff you’ve brought up as a mark on him doesn’t happen every game and other players, when our team is being beat, have done the exact same thing. Happened last week without Lewy even being on the field.

Last year I said he either needed to be put in the forward line and kick more goals or improve his disposal count, which it seems he must’ve done one of those to get the call up. Apparently his disposal numbers in the twos are garnering attention from other clubs, so he must be doing something right.

If Lester was a better footballer than McStay, then Lester would be playing more games than McStay. As much as I’ve defended Lester and critiqued McStay (and said Fagans selection choices are dumb), Fagan knew what his winning team was going to be before the season began, he put that team out for 3 wins. Lester was not in that team and he’s clearly being kept on as the mini Hodge/mentor for the twos, should become a coach after he retires, isn’t a better player than McStay.

I see some using the old runs around in circles with Lewie and pre Fagan it was spot on. But I thought that post Fagan Lewie had moved on and was playing more instinctive and direct football.

Don’t mind the inclusions, although I would have selected Bastinac before Taylor. Lester is a good inclusion. He is a serviceable footballer and he has a good footy brain. At least with Lester, Fagan knows what he going to get. Unfortunately, we know what we are going to get with Taylor too. Expect brain farts, running around in small circles, no contested possessions and no defensive pressure or two way running.

McStay must be on his last chance in the senior side. He has given 3 parts of nothing this year as a forward. If he has another stinker Witherden might be given the opportunity to find form in the reserves.
Huh? Are you thinking of Taylor in his 1st few years? Taylors 2 way running is really good now, he doesn't run in small circles either.

Whilst I might have preferred some different changes I won't give a monkey's if we are singing the song on Saturday! Just want to win a game we really should be winning

Huh? Are you thinking of Taylor in his 1st few years? Taylors 2 way running is really good now, he doesn't run in small circles either.
Well he still does on the rare occasion, but he's either kicking a goal at the end of the "running in circles" if he's inside 40, or finding an open player with a pretty good kick if he's outside 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back