Preview Gold Coast Suns vs Brisbane Lions Saturday 27 April 2019 - 1.45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debating whether it's worth the $$$ to upgrade from the free GA ticket we get with our membership.

GA at Metricon is s**t but I'm actually not feeling like spending money.

Will keep you all updated on my life choices
I was about to say that GA at Metricon is actually OK, IMO, but then I remembered that it's a day game. Red jumpers + red footy + red seats = not a good mix from ground level. Get something with some elevation.

Sorry what?

Yeah if you're a season member you get a free ticket. How good is this club.

I was about to say that GA at Metricon is actually OK, IMO, but then I remembered that it's a day game. Red jumpers + red footy + red seats = not a good mix from ground level. Get something with some elevation.

This is very true my friend. You have single headedly convinced me.

We'd have to be really disappointed if we lose this.

We have guys in the twos who are fit and in form and some guys in the seniors who haven't really performed even when we were winning. It's not the end for anyone who gets dropped . It's a chance to reassess and get some form back.

Despite the dynamics of the game overall we lack some pace around the ground and have trouble exiting our back half taking risks which is where the sides who are killing it at the moment are excelling.

But we've just played two of the top teams for pace and ball movement in the comp so hopefully it'll be nowhere near as tough this week

What's the fishing like?
Yeah, not bad. The estuary is good for kids and we pick up some decent sized whiting in the gutters on the open beach. Can also fish the rocks on the headland. The creek system seems really healthy at the moment which is really good to see.

Personally I think we have 2 forces changes, outside of that is only make one other. Too many changes not good, keep some continuity.
So:
Ballenden for Andrews he’s been classy off the backline uses the ball well and by all reports reads the play well. Has been emergency a few times already this year.
Bastinac for Mathieson, I haven’t been a fan of Mathieson over his career to date but happy to admit he’s been improved version this year. I think we need mature body for mature body so Bastinac comes in.

Only one other change and that’s to help with run and carry, Cutler in for Robertson. Christensen goes back and Cutler comes into the midfield/wing group.

Three changes enough, another few guys would be under more scrutiny if not for the injuries to Andrews and Mathieson, but timing of changes is also an important consideration. We need to win this one.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What's the fishing like?
Mud crabs in the creek.
We used to stay at Pottsville and the creek from Hastings runs down to there behind the Pottsville nth caravan club.
Haven't stayed there for a few years but used to get muddies.
Fishing can be hit and miss, beaches a bit exposed , but if you can find a good deep gutter, need to do some recon. up and down the beaches. This time of year could be good for tailor, dart flatties. You could do a bit of rock fishing from Hastings , never tried it though.
We go down a bit further to Wooyung caravan pk, they have fireplaces and you can take the dog. beach across the road. No flags though, usually go back to Pottsville for a dip or Cabbarita.
gonna get down there one or two of the away games this Autumn or early winter .
One bad thing though is you need a fishing license in NSW, which sucks if you catch nothing like me.

sorry about been off topic with the thread ,looking forward to Thursday night for the team selection.
If new players who ever they are can step in and perform , then that would be a massive step forward in the teams ability and credibility.

Thinking of heading down for the game. Is there any parking within walking distance to the ground? Or is public transport the way to go.

Thinking of heading down for the game. Is there any parking within walking distance to the ground? Or is public transport the way to go.
Park at Nerang train station, then walk 25 min (2.2 km) or take shuttle bus (2 hours prior game).

As a Lions supporter I'm this week at the - Hmmmmmmmm stage. 3 wins then 2 ugly losses. It's like are we the great pretenders and have net really improved that much or is it just a slump after a big preseason and a lot of back slapping after a few wins and we got ahead of ourselves. I think we all agree from Fagan's press conference there will be some unforced changes as well as injury replacements as there should be to get the wheels going again. Eagles for Andrews if Andrews doesn't get up. The fact Andrews tried to come back on and sit at full Forward might indicate it wasn't that bad. I'm with Ely to make his debut as the inside mid to replace Mathieson, we need the bigger body in there and I think he has learned a lot on how to give Neale that extra bit of protection from the pre-season. I think Keays has been belting the door down for a game and the coaches have to show good work is rewarded or the 2's will loose motivation. I'm not totally comfortable with it but Keays to replace Rayner - that's a message to all players and it's only for a week. Hodge will play if Harris is out they are the two leaders. I'd like to see Ballendene or Skinner get there chance and the only position spare would be McStay's. If it's a 'pack crasher' then it's Skinner in. Ballendene is such a great user of the ball when he gets it but not sure if he is demanding enough to play as a key forward and much as he could play the 3rd tall. We have been shown up on our run and carry the last 2 weeks and when you carry it up the field and then give a stupid turnover and it come straight back down the field any team looks slow. Cutler gives us run but doesn't give us defence, i think if Harris is out and we have to structure the back 6 differently I'd leave Cuts sit in reserve grade until we have our back 6 set again. Although I don't see an obvious match for Charlie in the Suns so if he is still running around looking for the one over top, then have Ballendene come in and play up the field and use Cutler, Rich and Zorko to go long over the half forward line and try to isolate Hipwood and Charlie in space which Metricon stadium gives them. That would mean Bundy goes out so 2 forced changes and possibly 2 or 3 dropped on form.

I think we need to put a hard tag on Alex Sexton this week. He may not get a lot of possessions but he makes them count. And he generally plays well against us.
Take him out of the game and they are only half the side as when he is firing.
Mitch Robbo to take him out of the game (not literally though)!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we need to put a hard tag on Alex Sexton this week. He may not get a lot of possessions but he makes them count. And he generally plays well against us.

Sexton is a forward. M Robbo won't and shouldn't be in defence. Maybe Nick Robbo if he stays in the team.

Browny right as usual on - The Couch. Our forward pressure is non existent.. We might need to look at playing Charlie more around half forward and Rayner deeper. Maybe keep Zorko at half forward where he isn't being tagged and can help with the forward pressure and kick some goals. One thing is for sure we need to revert back to the tackling and pressure acts we displayed against the Eagles in round 1.

Collingwood and Essendon have streamed out from half back the last two games.

Yeah if you're a season member you get a free ticket. How good is this club.

This is very true my friend. You have single headedly convinced me.

Do you just turn up with your lions membership? Brab you beautiful SOB.

Spot on! That’s why he is so dangerous!
Nick Robbo won’t be able to go with him, he has the turning circle of a truck!

As much as I love M Robbo he can't play in defence - would be totally against his strengths and his ball use would be a problem going out of 50. Don't see him as an option at all.

N Robbo may have problems with him but our alternatives aren't great either.

Yep we need to keep him out of the game. Sexton has 13 goals in 5 games. The next best is Wright and Swallow with 6 each from 5 games. Don't really know Sexton's strengths e.g. contested marking, agility, speed etc. Don't really know, Witherden hasn't bee great at defending, Robbo hasn't got good agility, maybe Hodge as he is the smartest of our lot. Or we could trial Gardiner on him.

I would be looking at changing the team as follows:

Out: Andrews (inj), Mathieson (inj)
In: Cutler, Keays

B: Hodge, Walker, Witherden
HB: Rich, Gardiner, Robertson
C: Cutler, Neale, McCluggage
HF: Zorko, Hipwood, McCarthy
F: Rayner, McStay, Cameron
Fol: Martin, Berry, Lyons
I/C: Witherden, McInerney, Robinson, Keays

Robinson minding Martin or Fiorini.

Keays comes in with the objective of providing more forward pressure. 4 or 5 tackles and he earns his spot next week, especially if he can convert any opportunities onto the scoreboard.

Cutler comes in for some outside speed and drive. I don't think he offers anything less defensively than Mathieson does (nothing). Our inside/outside mix is wrong in my opinion at the moment. In the ressie games I've seen, Cutler has looked a class above and has really provided that speed and drive we are crying out for. Focus should definitely be on penetrating kicks into leading targets in the forward line.

I want Zorko's pressure half forward. We need to stop leaking our contested entries immediately. I also want at least one of McCarthy or Cameron to play a team game, really focusing on crumbing and tackling.

Collins has performed really well for them, but I think our other forwards should have a marking advantage. Whoever Collins is on to lead AWAY FROM THE OTHER KEY FORWARD AND RAYNER. This is something I haven't really been seeing in our games. Whoever Collins is on (Hipwood most likely, maybe McStay), needs to play a real team game and create a lot of space for Rayner and the other key forward. I think we have a ground ball advantage too.

Speaking of McStay, he and Big O should be put on short notice. Their combined output in the past week is barely acceptable for a key forward, let alone individually. When we take these two and Hipwood we sacrifice forward pressure. If they can't perform at the big league, they need to find form and learn in the reserves.

Lyons is my other player at risk of losing his spot. I think there is really only room for one of him or Mathieson, and he needs to cement his position before Mathieson is fit again. Too much sacrificed offence without a reward in defence running both of these players.

I would like another step up again this week from Rayner, as I would expect him to be nearly unimpeded at this point from his injuries.

We don't need to go in too tall in the defensive line - their forward threats are Wright (Walker) and Sexton. Sexton plays best when crumbing, not the contested marking game. If Gardiner or Robertson can wear him then that would work, otherwise it might take a bit more team effort to make sure he doesn't sneak those goals.

Gold Coast has a lot of talent (surprisingly to the Victorian media), but they are very young, and very raw. They feel similar to us a year ago, where they are going to push a lot of teams, but get blown away by some too. Right now they have fallen on the other side of the dice to how we did last season, winning the close games rather than losing them. But we have the extra year of development now. We also didn't have to travel unlike them, and get the extra 3 days rest. All the conditions suggest we should win this game, and win it comfortably. This would be a far worse loss than any of the other games so far this year (particularly the two losses to two top teams of the comp on form), and I would suggest it's almost season breaking point if we lose this one.

Lions by 30.

Mike Whiting on the AFL 'In the mix' has proposed the following:

- Wooler to debut with McStay down back
- Answerth to debut for Nick Robbo
- Taylor to replace Christensen for more run
- Cutler to replace Matho and give some outside run.

Only one I'm not sure about is Taylor as I'm not sure his form in the 2's deserves to have him ahead of Bastinac, Keays or Cox personally. Very much on the fence about who of those 3 comes in though, unashamedly a Cedric Cox fan but Keays and Bastinac probably more deserving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back