briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
With the greatest respect [a term lawyers use when they mean exactly the opposite] if Fagan thinks Stef Martin did well v Essendon and Collingwood, then he is deluded. He was, in short, thrashed in both games. No amount of crap can cover this up. Saw it with my own eyes.

Maybe Fagan is employing some sort of reverse psychology thing, but just how this might work I'd have no idea.

A better approach, IMHO, would be to tell Stef to lift his game. Or else. But then again, the same warning might apply to numerous others ATM.
That’s somewhat funny when you consider what Steph is studying.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
I would imagine that he almost certainly did give Stef more forthright feedback behind close doors (along with a few others). You need to be careful when talking about a players poor performance publicly, it may be that Fagan is just trying to publicly demonstrate his support for his player when the chips are down.

Stef is also probably acutely aware that he has been beaten pretty soundly in recent weeks as well.
Who's beaten Stef soundly aside from Grundy? Besides, he and Oscar have been sharing ruck time and doing it pretty effectively, so it's not all down to one player. Bellchambers and Clarke both did nothing and are generally pretty useless, Tassie is just a s**t talker.

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Who's beaten Stef soundly aside from Grundy? Besides, he and Oscar have been sharing ruck time and doing it pretty effectively, so it's not all down to one player. Bellchambers and Clarke both did nothing and are generally pretty useless, Tassie is just a s**t talker.
Steady - Tassie is allowed an opinion!

I'm talking more from a general sense - when you are getting beaten out of the middle like we have the last 2 weeks, everyone in the middle gets more heavily scrutinised (rightly or wrongly), including Stef. I am very much in favour of keeping him in the side, but there is no doubt he would like to bounce back strongly this week I'm sure. Everyone has off-weeks, but good players (of which Stef has been for several years) bounce back quickly.

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There have been numerous player interviews over the last year or so where they have said that Chris Fagan is caring, supportive AND gives honest feedback and is tough but fair so they know where they stand.

Good coaches very rarely criticize their own players in a public forum.
Yeah that is what I was trying to say before but you found a much better way of putting it!!

Sob sob blasted kids sports clashing with the suns game. Thought about skipping this week but I’m the coach so probably won’t be at Metricon to watch our team play themselves back into being the in form team of the competition.

Cheer extra loud for me please.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Saw Matt Eagles lining up in the queue in Bunnings Cannon Hill this afternoon.

Wow, is he ever a unit! Looked really ripped and super fit.

Was with another guy , almost certainly another footy player, who I think was Tom Joyce.

This thing about him (Eagles) not being eligible for Senior selection (Cat B Rookie).....is that correct?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Saw Matt Eagles lining up in the queue in Bunnings Cannon Hill this afternoon.

Wow, is he ever a unit! Looked really ripped and super fit.

Was with another guy , almost certainly another footy player, who I think was Tom Joyce.

This thing about him (Eagles) not being eligible for Senior selection (Cat B Rookie).....is that correct?
Was it the Sausage sizzle queue?

marooned

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sob sob blasted kids sports clashing with the suns game. Thought about skipping this week but I’m the coach so probably won’t be at Metricon to watch our team play themselves back into being the in form team of the competition.

Same here rescheduled for Saturday will miss the neafl and get there right on match time

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Yes but how do you vicariously live out your football dreams if you dont do the kids sport.

Flea_29

All Australian
Oct 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wouldn't be surprised if we go in with a smaller forward line this week. One that has more speed/run.
The last thing we need is to bomb the ball into McStay, Oscar & Hippy only for Collins and co to intercept and/or Harbrow to mop up.
If McStay stays, then he should play in the backline and Mitch Robbo should play more forward. Hippy plays up the ground and Rayner, Cameron and Linc rotating as our forward close to goal.
Can see us picking Cutler & Taylor - add more run through the middle and someone like Answerth to debut.

Yes but how do you vicariously live out your football dreams if you dont do the kids sport.

It’s not even Aussie rules!

Have had two kids with the competitive gene and two without. The competitive ones are never happy, they rate themselves as not good if they aren’t the best and they take up way too much family time.

So much easier with the ones that genuinely want to play with their mates and are happy to just get a little better every year. I vicariously want live their lives - so much more fun.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wouldn't be surprised if we go in with a smaller forward line this week. One that has more speed/run.
The last thing we need is to bomb the ball into McStay, Oscar & Hippy only for Collins and co to intercept and/or Harbrow to mop up.
If McStay stays, then he should play in the backline and Mitch Robbo should play more forward. Hippy plays up the ground and Rayner, Cameron and Linc rotating as our forward close to goal.
Can see us picking Cutler & Taylor - add more run through the middle and someone like Answerth to debut.
Not much point bombing it in if you haven't got Brown or Lockett up there.

But we definately need to get it in quicker

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
I really don’t mind who comes in, but I’m surprised no one has mentioned Ryan Lester. He must be a chance to replace Andrews, unless he’s been earmarked as the replacement for Hodge and that’s it. His form in the twos has been good and I’ll be surprised if he’s not in the team in the next few weeks. I’m not convinced about first year/ first game players providing run out of the backline, which players like Bailey and Cox have not been able to do in their first few games. Allison or Hinge are more likely to offer that than Answerth from what I’ve seen, though I’m a little behind in my reserves watching this year.

marooned

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I really don’t mind who comes in, but I’m surprised no one has mentioned Ryan Lester. He must be a chance to replace Andrews, unless he’s been earmarked as the replacement for Hodge and that’s it. His form in the twos has been good and I’ll be surprised if he’s not in the team in the next few weeks. I’m not convinced about first year/ first game players providing run out of the backline, which players like Bailey and Cox have not been able to do in their first few games. Allison or Hinge are more likely to offer that than Answerth from what I’ve seen, though I’m a little behind in my reserves watching this year.
Lester is at his level in the Neafl.Definition of madness trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back