Status
Not open for further replies.
Date – Saturday 27 April
Time – 1:45 pm AEST
Venue – Metricon Stadium

Weather – 26/18° breezy in the afternoon

Preview by davemonkey

Brisbane Lions Vs Gold Coast Suns – Round 6, 2019
Why am I writing this? I'm coming last in my tipping competition.

Last time we played

Lions 10.18.78 Suns 11.8.74
We snatched this one. 28 scoring shots to 19 and we managed to almost utensil it up. The Suns looked spent, May and Lynch were on the way out and I misspelled Dayne or Dane when doing this same preview. Won’t have that problem this year.

Both teams seemed on different trajectories come Round 22 last year, The Suns were imploding and everyone wanted to send them to Tassie. The Lions had a lot of honourable losses and this was to be our 5th win of the year. But the Suns lift when they play us. They have since that horrible 1st game against us at the Gabba in 201andwhatsit. I am still scarred by hearing that horrible trumpet blare across the hallowed turf that Voss, Power, Lappin and Brown strode over. To make it worse Jared Brennan had one of those games in his mercurial career and won the inaugral Marcus Ashcroft medal.

SizzlingBlandIndianelephant-max-1mb.gif

How are the two teams travelling?

Gold Coast Suns 11th on the ladder

LWWWL

The Suns have been in goodish form, harnessing the combination of youth and solid workmanship from the likes of … Oh bugger I don’t know. I simply haven’t seen them play. I planned to get the Kayo trial and watch the Adelaide game back to get a sense but that was a party for Eddie Betts’ 300th and the Crows played like their list suggests they should be able to. I wasn't going to watch that.

But the Suns have had 3 close wins against Carlton, the Doggies and Freo both of the latter are going Ok, and even the Blues were convincing winners against the Dogs. The Suns have not been the basketcase everyone expected them to be. They still have some good cattle in Ainsworth, Harbrow, Hanley, Swallow, Sexton and Lukosius. They took it to us in the JLT and I expect them to come out breathing fire against being humiliated by the Crows.

Brisbane Lions

9th on the ladder which feels a lot more like the right spot for us at the moment.

WWWLL
Let’s talk about the Lions. The last 2 weeks have been the comedown we needed to have. But we have come down hard.
giphy.gif

There are a lot of calls for a lot of players to be dropped. A lot of changes to be made. I think once we make all of those changes and then bring in all of the players everyone wants dropped, we are pretty much going to have the same team on the park.
FlippantAdmirableHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif

Well except for Don Cheadle but you get the idea.

The team has admitted they haven’t been up to scratch with everyone from Mitch Robbo to Fages to Witho chipping in. But as Fages said in his presser the only option is to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and move on. Fages has indicated that changes will be made (on top of the required Andrews out with injury, there is a chance Marcus Adams can step in to his role).

For much prognostication on who should be in or out see https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/changes-for-the-q-clash.1216250/

There are rightful concerns about our gamestyle that wiser footy heads than I have observed, and we do seem vulnerable to corridor blockages. Our wing game just isn’t good enough and too many players looked wooden and leaden in offence and too slow in defence. We are suffering from that style of football too, as both the Bombers and the Pies had pace to burn when we turned it over and put the overlap run on us. We are certainly missing some speed but I am not sure that throwing an untried Answerth or Cox into the team will fix all our woes.

On to the positives
  • We have won 3 games, 2 of which have been quality opposition (not North in case you are wondering).
  • Zorks got away with a fine for his off the play work
  • Our wins were more convincing that the Suns 3.
  • We also lift against the Suns. There is a genuine rivalry brewing. I’m looking forward to the 2019 installment of the Miller/Zorko show.
  • Lachie Neale. Hugh McClugagge. Hippy.
  • ROBBOOOO!
Things I’m not sure about
  • Bundy’s hair
It’s a big game for
  • Dan McStay needs to lift. I get the sense the forwards are a) starved of the footy over the past few weeks and have seemed a bit out of touch, and b) still gelling as a unit. Having said that I think McStay needs to have a big game. He strikes me as a confidence player and if he can get on the end of a couple of forward 50s and kick some goals that would lift him and the rest of the team.
  • Cam Rayner – See above.
  • The midfielders who are not Lachie Neale. While Neale was negated somewhat against the Pies, he got plenty of touches against the Bombers and it didn’t help. We need that midfield unit to lift. We need to win ball and keep ball.
  • The forward pressure. I think both teams will bring it, and I expect this to be a bit of a shootout. Of course, I said the same thing against Collingwood so I really don’t know anthing.

Who wins

Lions by 12. Brisbane to score over 100 again.

Marcus Ashcroft Medal

Lachie Neale

This one once again depends on the choices made at selection. We can't run the same team every week, especially we have a plenty of positions around the ground that don't have players cemented into them.

The game against the Pies was a complete miss-match. Can't lose this one because we didn't play a team to combat the Suns strengths/we had players out of form.

Edit: Will save my opinion for the margin when the teams are announced.

10 day break vs 6 day break. We should win this ... should

We have come back strong after the bye week and again at the start of this season. Confident they’ll come out firing.

A point of note- contested work knocks players about and we were doing a lot of contested work toward the end of the preseason and we went out hard in the jlt series. That puts us more like 7-8 weeks into the season instead of 5. I think fatigue has been a major factor in the last two weeks. Ten days off is going to make a difference.

Gold Coast just work hard, crack in at the contest and play their roles. Funny, that wins games. Would love to see the same from our boys.

Eventually though, the Suns’ comparative lack of talent and experience will be exposed and they will struggle. Not sure if the Adelaide game represents a tipping point or was simply an aberration. If they’ve hit the downward part of their year, we’ll win comfortably. But if they put their best foot forward, they have shown they have the sort of high pressure game to force opponents into slow, error ridden footy.

We’ve got to beat them first with intensity and then with talent, not the other way round. Too often, the Suns turn up for these contests far more hungry than we do. If nothing else, I hope we match their spirit.

Calls to drop so many players is lunacy, thats not how you build combination.

We are very susceptible to the fast break, Essendon is a really bad match up for us and Collingwood isnt much better. I dont see the same issues with GC, but I hope somebody wears Ainsworth close.

If we control contested ball and clearances and stop turning it over 2 times in every three we should get there. Bailey being out is a bigger loss than people think

Bummer I'm camping this weekend..... but wait. We are staying at a big 4 at hastings point NSW. Its an hour and 20 (similar ETA to the stadium then if we were to leave from home) away. Jokingly said to the wife we should go. She agreed. Yeewwww.
Love Hastings Point, that's where we used to take the kids for school holidays back in the late 80s. Haven't been back there since, I bet you it's changed a hell of a lot.

From round 6-round 15 we can win be 12-2.... I know, l know lunacy right. Well these are who we play:
Round 6 - GC at Metricon
Round 7 - Sydney at Gabba
Round 8 - Bulldogs at MARS
Round 9 - Adelaide at Gabba
Round 10 - Freo at Optus
Round 11 - Hawks at Gabba
Round 12 - Carlton at Marvel
BYE
Round 14 - Saints at Marvel
Round 15 - Meblourne at Gabba

Optimistic but we are more than a chance at winning each of them

From round 6-round 15 we can win be 12-2.... I know, l know lunacy right. Well these are who we play:
Round 6 - GC at Metricon
Round 10 - Freo at Optus
BYE

Now you've gone and done it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 6 - GC at Metricon
Round 10 - Freo at Optus
BYE

I am concerned about the bye

Their last game aside, GC have succeeded in all of their games into scraps that I'm sure frustrated their opponents immensely. Even Carlton looked like they had the upper hand against GC still didn't get the win. They focus on keeping the ball in the contest and have Witts tap the ball to his feet every time.At both ends of the ground they want it bombed long to Collins and Wright, nothing subtle about their setup. Collins is a great contested mark and is also about as mobile as Ben Rutten. He really struggled against Walker's mobility. Hipwood looked like he was ready to explode on Thursday and we just couldn't get him the ball often enough, so hopefully he can work Collins over. No long bombs please.

Their setup is a bit of a worry, we've had much less organised GC sides push us in some of the worst games you'll ever see, although hopefully we're more focussed now than we have been in some of those games. Get clean use at the contest, get it to the outside, and their entire game-plan will be undone. Simple, right? Worked for Adelaide (who really aren't very good at the moment) at least. The first quarter was a scrap, the rest of the game was a smashing after Adelaide started to get clean possession. We also need to watch Fiorini, I'm sick of us letting outside players dominate early in games. Hall, Polec, Zaharakis, Phillips etc etc.

Round 6 - GC at Metricon
Round 10 - Freo at Optus
BYE

That post should probably go in the LID thread :D

Round 6 - GC at Metricon
Round 10 - Freo at Optus
BYE

4-2...
4-2..
Need to get to 4-2...

Debating whether it's worth the $$$ to upgrade from the free GA ticket we get with our membership.

GA at Metricon is s**t but I'm actually not feeling like spending money.

Will keep you all updated on my life choices

Debating whether it's worth the $$$ to upgrade from the free GA ticket we get with our membership.

Sorry what?

I'm flying in from Melbourne and I wonder if my membership ticket gets me into the ground.

I want a good seat and will ask the club during the week what I should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back