Gold Coast v Tasmania Are we missing something with AFLW?

Remove this Banner Ad

poor crowd, but i think this half arsed north/tassie team is never going to really win over the locals is it?

great crowd for the suns though
Launceston is Hawthorn's territory. North have a bit more traction in Hobart. Would expect the game down there to get a better crowd. It got just shy of 5K last year. If 5K turn up at Arden St it will be packed.

As long as they're not playing in bottle green they won't be truly embraced as Tasmanian. The current arrangement is a pragmatic compromise to get as many Tas players as they can concentrated onto one of the lists and giving an AFLW club incentive to invest in development. I'd hope there's at least some attraction to the locals to come out and see some of their own girls running around.

Huge AFL follower though dumbfounded by the AFL's stupidity (won't even start on that one here). Gold Coast remains a failure in AFL.
AFLW struggles to field competitive teams yet there's a rush to add teams (lowering the standard).
Looking at the 23 people at the Gold Coast-GWS game, did the AFL miss the boat with an opportunity to enter a Tasmanian team
rather than Gold Coast or in fact any other addition this year?

This has aged well.....actually it was smelly on delivery and just got worse

Brilliant crowd on the Gold Coast shows exactly why the Suns are around for good

As long as they're not playing in bottle green they won't be truly embraced as Tasmanian.

North haven't learnt anything from their jaunts around Australia.
If North want a proper association with any region then they have to commit.
North were rejected by Sydney, Gold Coast, (Northern Victoria ?) and Canberra because they didn't commit.
North will be again rejected if they fail to commit.
North, do yourself a favour and put some green into your jumper and begin to differentiate.

Do you still think that Tasmania deserves a team over Gold Coast who have a good start to the season only losing one match by 1 point as well as a solid win and a draw?

I don't think this discussion has much to do with results. It's the merit of having a team on the GC before Tas.

I don't think this discussion has much to do with results. It's the merit of having a team on the GC before Tas.

The OPs points were that Gold Coast is a failure in AFL, and so doesn't deserve a women's team. They also suggested that increasing the number of teams lowered the standard. And finally, they pointed to the size of the crowd in an away game, in torrential rain, as evidence that Gold Coast can't attract a crowd.

GCs results so far point to the strength of the women's game in Queensland. The standard has not been lowered due to their expansion. WC and Richmond, maybe. The spectator numbers have been healthy too.

There is probably a good argument that there isn't enough depth in the WA and Victorian competitions to field an extra team. But that doesn't explain how St. Kilda are looking good. I think the likely reason is poor recruitment and coaching by Richmond and West Coast. Its early days though. It was crazy to declare GC a mistake after one rain sodden away game. Its almost as crazy to write off other teams after three.

For Tasmania to merit a stand alone team, they would need a strong women's competition, and good support from spectators. Is that happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back