Preview Gold Coast vs Essendon, Carrara, Saturday 14/07/18 @ 7:25 PM

Who will have more handballs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Untitled.png

So we've escaped Margetts but got Nicholls, should be interesting. & I haven't seen Eleni for a few weeks, she been doing time in the lower leagues I assume?

Bottom 5 players like Coyler and Bags shouldn't sit above anyone on any pecking order - same for their VFL replacements coming in.

1 s**t game and someone who plays well in reserves (who can play your position) comes in.

Too many koalas at Essendon - a club thats done nothing for nearly 20 years.

You'd think these guys were retiring greats the respect they are given. We sent better players to the twos than these hacks to get to 2000.

Edit; and what about 93? Does that even happen with a pecking order?

Bottom 5 players like Coyler and Bags shouldn't sit above anyone on any pecking order - same for their VFL replacements coming in.

1 s**t game and someone who plays well in reserves (who can play your position) comes in.

Too many koalas at Essendon - a club thats done nothing for nearly 20 years.

You'd think these guys were retiring greats the respect they are given. We sent better players to the twos than these hacks to get to 2000.

Edit; and what about 93? Does that even happen with a pecking order?

What about 84?? bloody oath mate

wtf are you talking about

Do you actaully have no idea what i'm talking about?

No but I bet that if you actually went back in time to those glory years you'd find there was a pecking order.

No but I bet that if you actually went back in time to those glory years you'd find there was a pecking order.
Would I?

I think i'd find there was a rutheless competition for spots and certainly no protection for s**t form - let alone for the weakest players.

Ask Derek Kickett whos 10 times anything Travis Coyler or Bags could ever be as a player.

What's going on with all the pessimism this week? We weren't bad last week. Haven't played bad since round 8.
I don’t understand the pessimism either.

Yes we had a shocking, frustrating start to the year but there were reasons for it and we are now play exciting, consistent footy.

Based on the last two months we would probably be top 4, playing against quality opposition and a lot of interstate games.

No we most likely won’t make finals but we are setup extremely well to be real contenders next year with our current form and game plan, especially when joey comes back and if we can add more midfield depth.

Most exciting time to be an Essendon supporter in more than a decade.

Would I?

I think i'd find there was a rutheless competition for spots and certainly no protection for s**t form - let alone for the weakest players.

Ask Derek Kickett whos 10 times anything Travis Coyler or Bags could ever be as a player.

LOL DEREK

Not only would there have been a pecking order, but it would have been a lot more unadulterated than whatever formal system they have now.

And guess what? We are comparing Jake Long with Bags and Colyer. Not Derek Kickett. Jake Long ffs. ******* lol.

Would I?

‘93 premiership side - bottom 5 - Somerville, Wallis, C Daniher, Hills, Calthorpe ...all inconsistent over their careers.

Plus not every year do you have once a generation talent like Hird, Fletcher, Mercuri etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say that you were. It's just the general vibe I've been getting all week. We have the chance of going 4-1 interstate tonight. We play an exciting brand of footy. We've worked hard to get into this position. I'm pretty excited to hopefully see us at full flight tonight.
I'm with you 100%. Hopefully we can win by 8 goals.

Hopefully Francis plays, I can't understand the point of him missing VFL if he doesn't.

Might be to ease back into the ‘flow’ of AFL, you know fly out with the team, stay overnight, mix with the boys. Small steps to get mentally right.

LOL DEREK

Not only would there have been a pecking order, but it would have been a lot more unadulterated than whatever formal system they have now.

And guess what? We are comparing Jake Long with Bags and Colyer. Not Derek Kickett. Jake Long ffs. ******* lol.
No - i am talking about no protection for s**t form for bottom tier players.

I am talking about - If i am playing VFL I play with every expectation that if a Josh Green has a s**t game and i have a blinder i could be selected next week - potentially raising my performance and putting pressure on best 22 spots.

On limited exposed form, i think Long should have played more than 1 game this year so. He had showed he has the capability to do AFL level things in a hot contest (whilst other players named here struggled). He showed he would be a worthwhile shot as a replacement for one of Green, Bags or Colyer. That he hasn't is a weakness in the system.

Of course the best players get leway but the rest have pressure on spots. There's zero point protecting them with any system.

I don't think that i am suggesting anything that ridiculous but clearly you do so we can leave it there.

Last edited:
No - i am talking about no protection for s**t form for bottom tier players.

I am talking about - If i am playing VFL I play with every expectation that if a Josh Green has a s**t game and i have a blinder i could be sellected next week - potentially raising my performance and putting pressure on best 22 spots.

On limited exposed form, i think Long should have played more than 1 game this year so. He had showed he has the capability to do AFL level things in a hot contest (whilst other players named here struggled). He showed he would be a worthwhile shot as a replacement for one of Green, Bags or Colyer. That he hasn't is a weakness in the system.

Of course the best players get leway but the rest have pressure on spots. There's zero point protecting them with any system.

I don't think what i am suggesting anything that ridiculous but clearly you do so we can leave it there.

Ridiculous to go back time and compare any of the current list with any premiership list, but...

Your premise has merit if Long seems like he's gonna be much better than Green/Bags/Colyer and that is the bone of contention.

I am just not seeing it with Long.

I am talking about - If i am playing VFL I play with every expectation that if a Josh Green has a s**t game and i have a blinder i could be sellected next week - potentially raising my performance and putting pressure on best 22 spots.
They do have that expectation, except that if you're an inside mid and you play a blinder you don't expect to get a spot in lieu of a small forward that had a s**t game. If we started playing by an anything goes policy with regard to structure we'd have no tall forwards bar McKernan, no tall defenders bar Hooker, and a fleet of tiny midfielders in their spots. At least going by the way bigfooty assesses a players form.

Consider it a rest

I did, but we had the bye 4 weeks ago.

If something happens before the game or in the warmup, you’d have to play an entire game one short. Every club takes an emergency interstate, it’s a necessity. I’d assume they rotate it so Francis has to have a go.

AFAIK, Long went up as well, i thought it was only the one we took up normally.

Might be to ease back into the ‘flow’ of AFL, you know fly out with the team, stay overnight, mix with the boys. Small steps to get mentally right.

If that's the reason, I'm good with it.

#NoYaco

Ridiculous to go back time and compare any of the current list with any premiership list, but...

Your premise has merit if Long seems like he's gonna be much better than Green/Bags/Colyer and that is the bone of contention.

I am just not seeing it with Long.

There's nothing remotely rediculous comparing selection policy from a succesful era to today. Kickett was dropped because his form was ailing. He'd had a good year but they made the call.

We are talking about a selection philosophy here, something that starts often years before a premiership. I am commenting on what is reportedly our current one.

That we have known battlers (in ordinary form) who would struggle to be on any another AFL list, in front of - anyone - is rediculous.

Last edited:
There's nothing remotely rediculous comparing selection policy from a succesful era to today. Kickett was dropped because his form was ailing. He'd had a good year but they made the call.

That we have known battlers (in ordinary form) who would struggle to be on any another AFL list, in front of - anyone - is rediculous.

It is ridiculous, because we had the luxury of a team that was winning flags.

At the moment we have a forward pocket position that is only to be filled with either Bags/Colyer/Long.

No one is batting the door down for that spot because it's a gaping hole in the list. It's a gaping hole in the list because we are an average team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back