Preview Gold Coast vs Essendon, Carrara, Sunday 28/07/19, 4:40 PM

Who will score more?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you lose a ruckman and two forwards and replace them with a KPD and two mids and beat the Crows in Adelaide, it goes to show how versatile this squad can be. No reason to think that versatility can stand up against GCS.

Out: Hooker, Heppell
In: Z.Clarke, Laverde

Dodoro said Zerk-Thatcher isn't far away however I'd prefer to play Francis down back than up forward.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need to pump this mob. Rest those that need it i.e hepp & hooker but bring back Lav & Fanta to get some touch & confidence. We need them hitting the scoreboard & this presents as a perfect opportunity for an easy kill.

Need to get these tardy starts out of our game & switch on from the start.

We need to pump this mob. Rest those that need it i.e hepp & hooker but bring back Lav & Fanta to get some touch & confidence. We need them hitting the scoreboard & this presents as a perfect opportunity for an easy kill.

Need to get these tardy starts out of our game & switch on from the start.

I honestly don’t think they are “tardy” starts so to speak. I think it can be as simple as we are at our best when games open up, but logically that’s not going to happen until later in the game (and we have been much better 2nd half performers recently).

Our problem/concern for mine has always been though - can we stay in a game even when we can’t get our running game going? Friday I thought we did that reasonably well for the 1st quarter in particular. They were clearly on top, but we tackled and competed enough to stay in the game.

I get nervous when Essendon is mentioned in the same sentence as potential percentage booster.

So many brain farts in similar fixtures over the last decade.

As bad as the Suns have been of late... you just can not afford to get complacent against any club in the competition. It’s the top league for a reason.

Can see us coming out like a deer in headlights... a few goals down early... pressure to hit back in the second half and end up winning by a couple of goals.

Would just take the win (of any sort) and no injuries at this stage.

Five games left, yeah great if we snag a finals berth but in a position now to push hard for top 6 and home final. If Hooker’s fit play him, nine day break should be enough. Hepp said h was very ginger after game so he may need to be heavily managed.

Five games left, yeah great if we snag a finals berth but in a position now to push hard for top 6 and home final. If Hooker’s fit play him, nine day break should be enough. Hepp said h was very ginger after game so he may need to be heavily managed.
Pretty much nailed it mate. 9 day break, nobody should be managed this week unless it's something like Hepps

Pretty much nailed it mate. 9 day break, nobody should be managed this week unless it's something like Hepps
On the flip side getting a game into btz and resting hooker might be smart. What happens if Ambrose or Hartley go down in two weeks? Btz can only improve for the experience. Having said that I can't see Cale putting his hand up if he's close to fully fit. Hepp is my major worry. Even if he's right this week it's not worth the risk. Same with Raz.

Out Hepp
In Clarke
Langford into the middle
Btz for Hooker if required

Would rest Hooker with Clarke back.

Assuming Laverde wasn’t dropped but really was managed then I’d bring him straight back in for either Langford or Snelling. Could do with the additional forward presence if Hooker doesn’t play.

Though wouldn’t surprise if someone like Zaharakis is managed this week, or Heppell again.
I wouldn’t be shattered if Hep was rested. Power and Dogs will be tough I reckon so would prefer to have Hep, Raz etc fresh. We could be top 4 with wins over the Suns, Power and Dogs. All winnable and we would probably be favourites! I seriously can’t believe we are challenging for a top 4 position.

We’re not there yet and we still need to win a final but Worsfold has been in the gun 2 or 3 times this year. Our run and gun has been toned down a little and our structures have held really well since the West Coast game - albeit not against the best teams.

On the flip side getting a game into btz and resting hooker might be smart. What happens if Ambrose or Hartley go down in two weeks? Btz can only improve for the experience. Having said that I can't see Cale putting his hand up if he's close to fully fit. Hepp is my major worry. Even if he's right this week it's not worth the risk. Same with Raz.

Out Hepp
In Clarke
Langford into the middle
Btz for Hooker if required
Yeah I totally agree with blooding players to create depth, really for any of those players to come in at any given time and stick to the game plan that is currently winning (although tight) games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns have only won 2 of their last 18 home games - a 3 point win vs Fremantle (R2 2019) & a 2 point win vs Carlton (R4 2019).

Their highest score in all 18 of those games was 88 points (R17 2017).

We have conceded the second least points in the competition since Round 4 - an average of 70 points per game.

The early forecast for the Gold Coast next Sunday (not surprisingly for this time of year) is fine and mild.

I wouldn’t be shattered if Hep was rested. Power and Dogs will be tough I reckon so would prefer to have Hep, Raz etc fresh. We could be top 4 with wins over the Suns, Power and Dogs. All winnable and we would probably be favourites! I seriously can’t believe we are challenging for a top 4 position.

We’re not there yet and we still need to win a final but Worsfold has been in the gun 2 or 3 times this year. Our run and gun has been toned down a little and our structures have held really well since the West Coast game - albeit not against the best teams.
This would be a good game to work on either finding an alternative plan to the "bomb it long into the F50 and hope for the best" option and/or to work on getting that plan right. Would be good to sort this out before we go up against the better teams. It's the weakest part of our game and could see us come unstuck so easily if, as looks likely, we make finals.

This would be a good game to work on either finding an alternative plan to the "bomb it long into the F50 and hope for the best" option and/or to work on getting that plan right. Would be good to sort this out before we go up against the better teams. It's the weakest part of our game and could see us come unstuck so easily if, as looks likely, we make finals.
Can’t argue with this. We just need to drop the head AND our forwards need to find better positions. This is why Brown is so important to our forward line, he runs so hard. Get Stringer one out inside 50 and there’ll be a score.

The % boost talk makes me nervous - would hate for the boys to go up there expecting an easy win and drop the game instead.

I’d just be happy with the win and no injuries. As mentioned above, it’s a short turnaround for the Port hame. Wouldn’t play Fantasia, Hooker or Heppell.

Would bring in Clarke though if he’s available.

Out - Heppell, Hooker
In - Laverde, Clarke

Hartley stays in the backline, Mckernan returns to the forwardline with Clarke back.

Unsure if it has been reported but McKenna won’t play this week, he’s back in Ireland for a wedding
Bugger. Gives an opportunity to someone though, maybe Long gets one last chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back