AFLW Gold Coast vs Richmond Sunday 30 January, 5.10pm Metricon (Melb time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Kiely appears to have battled to step up from being big fish at vflw,,, again shows the growing gap between AFLW and secondary comps. Branc and Dempsey are 2 improvers need more like them

I think Kiely has been quite good, she plays a harder sort of game, doesn't have the flair of a Conti, but she is quite mean about her footy. She complements our midfield well. Just need another quick of hands quick of mind mid who can kick OK - an Edwards / Bolton type (scaled to the level probably). As we know well, they are usually a few years in the making.

I've bashed this thought a few times, but I would like to see Stahl started in the centre early in games to get her game rhythms up and going much earlier in a game. She might even have enough confidence now to rotate through there occasionally.

After the half way mark of the season and if we are mathematically out of reach, would like to see a few things tried. If Poppy gets back, have Gabby as a tall mid, though the temptation will be there to play her forward. Let's try and replicate the role Melb have given to Zanker. Maybe ruck Chout and see how she rolls against a softer opposition. Try Shevlin in the middle for short bursts if Sansonetti can hold up her form down back. We need a bit more grunt in the middle to stop losing as many take aways.

Last edited:

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I think Kiely has been quite good, she plays a harder sort of game, doesn't have the flair of a Conti, but she is quite mean about her footy. She complements our midfield well. Just need another quick of hands quick of mind mid who can kick OK - an Edwards / Bolton type (scaled to the level probably). As we know well, they are usually a few years in the making.

I've bashed this thought a few times, but I would like to see Stahl started in the centre early in games to get her game rhythms up and going much earlier in a game. She might even have enough confidence now to rotate through there occasionally.

After the half way mark of the season and if we are mathematically out of reach, would like to see a few things tried. If Poppy gets back, have Gabby as a tall mid, though the temptation will be there to play her forward. Let's try and replicate the role Melb have given to Zanker. Maybe ruck Chout and see how she rolls against a softer opposition. Try Shevlin in the middle for short bursts if Sansonetti can hold up her form down back. We need a bit more grunt in the middle to stop losing as many take aways.
Yea , I just don’t see Kiely getting any easy ball, save for the saints game v weakened oppo where she bobbed up with promising signs . Hopefully can finish the season well I do like the way she goes about it with menacing tackles

They have made more mistakes than Molan and Frederick. The latter I called a mistake at the time.

1. They let Grace Egan walk when they could have pre-listed her for nothing.
2. They gave the recruiting role to a d-grade player who'd never done recruiting before who then proceeded to draft herself.
3. They lost Grace Campbell for a handful of magic beans.
4. Sarah Hosking cost us a mid 1st round draft pick. Ok last year but poor this year.
5. They keep drafting Sheehan's mates in Whitford and Dargan et al who simply aren't up to it.
6. Our 2nd best player in our 1st season walked out on the club with a major gripe.

That's just off the top of my head. About the only thing they have got right is Conti, Lavey and Seymour. McKenzie was a no brainer at no.1.

Outside of those 4 players + Cordner and Brennan I'm not sure we'd get better than a 3rd rounder for any of the rest. Going into our 4th season inc our VFLW season that's a very poor result.
It was either trade Grace Campbell for pick 43 (which was used on Lavey) or lose her for nothing as she walked to the draft. North Melbourne were prepared to take that risk, as seen with Kim Rennie's departure from the Bulldogs.

Sarah Hosking came via priority pick that had to be traded, meaning you got the set of twins for the price of a single 2nd rounder.

Any winless team would take a recent Rising Star nominee for pick 45, and that's what Richmond did with Dargan. Sheahan's mates also include Sarah D'Arcy, who should be included in the list of things they got right. As should Poppy Kelly, who's not much use right now but neither is Grace Egan.

It's also a no-brainer that you'd be 2-2 right now if McKenzie wasn't injured. Whereas you'd still be 1-3 if Monahan hadn't left. A lot of these supposed mistakes don't add up to much.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It was either trade Grace Campbell for pick 43 (which was used on Lavey) or lose her for nothing as she walked to the draft. North Melbourne were prepared to take that risk, as seen with Kim Rennie's departure from the Bulldogs.

Sarah Hosking came via priority pick that had to be traded, meaning you got the set of twins for the price of a single 2nd rounder.

Any winless team would take a recent Rising Star nominee for pick 45, and that's what Richmond did with Dargan. Sheahan's mates also include Sarah D'Arcy, who should be included in the list of things they got right. As should Poppy Kelly, who's not much use right now but neither is Grace Egan.

It's also a no-brainer that you'd be 2-2 right now if McKenzie wasn't injured. Whereas you'd still be 1-3 if Monahan hadn't left. A lot of these supposed mistakes don't add up to much.

Very good post and thank you for contributing.

Agree with much of that, some of these issues will always have a personal bias and not much coalface knowledge, you have put a quality response back to rather emotive suggestions. Thank you for the input. For those interested about Sarah Hosking Trade:

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers

Thanks Kate. Good to see you online. Welcome

We could have gotten Lavey for any pick so to suggest we got her for Campbell is wrong. You also missed my point - how did we get to a situation where one of our most promising players was prepared to walk for nothing?

We also could have gotten a significantly better player than S Hosking for pick 7 so your premise that we got the twins (who are just honest battlers) for a single 2nd rounder is completely flawed.

Grace Egan is a star that we let walk for nothing. All we had to do is pre-list her. Instead Sheehan listed a bunch of battlers who are all gone now cause they were her mates.

McKenzie is the poorest example of injury management I've ever heard of - how can a calf keep you off the track for 6mths?

Last edited:

Profop

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond

We could have gotten Lavey for any pick so to suggest we got her for Campbell is wrong. You also missed my point - how did we get to a situation where one of our most promising players was prepared to walk for nothing?

We also could have gotten a significantly better player than S Hosking for pick 7 so your premise that we got the twins (who are just honest battlers) for a single 2nd rounder is completely flawed.

Grace Egan is a star that we let walk for nothing. All we had to do is pre-list her. Instead Sheehan listed a bunch of battlers who are all gone now cause they were her mates.

McKenzie is the poorest example of injury management I've ever heard of - how can a calf keep you off the track for 6mths?
That last line starts to push me in the direction that you're a troll. You have no idea what McKenzie's injury is. Our health and fitness staff have been second to none over the journey

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
That last line starts to push me in the direction that you're a troll. You have no idea what McKenzie's injury is. Our health and fitness staff have been second to none over the journey
Our best health and fitness person left for Sydney at the end of the 2021 season. Since then its been one mismanaged injury after another across both the men's and women's program.

Every organization makes mistakes some more than others, whats important is not to keep making the same ones. The leaders of our women's program are slow learners!

To suggest I'm a troll is embarrassing for u

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Our best health and fitness person left for Sydney at the end of the 2021 season. Since then its been one mismanaged injury after another across both the men's and women's program.

Every organization makes mistakes some more than others, whats important is not to keep making the same ones. The leaders of our women's program are slow learners!

Which injuries have been mismanaged and in what way? How would you know?

Profop

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond

Sorry but which injuries have been mismanaged since the end of the season? Only straw you could remotely grasp is Lynch having a slight hammy twinge during a super hard block of pre-season training

A mismanagement would be sending McKenzie out underdone and having her re-injure herself but they haven't done that have they?

If you're not a troll then you clearly a bit clueless

Is that simply your hypothesis or do you have something substantive and evidential to offer?

And on Lavey, I cannot see one player drafted after her that I would say we missed - damn! Help us out Tom Hunter - who did we miss that you would have been lobbying for? (I know you are not Tom Hunter - it is just as disingenuous by example as calling someone Kate who is obviously not Kate)

1643857409421.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
Which injuries have been mismanaged and in what way? How would you know?
Prestia, Nankervis, Houli, Cotchin, McKenzie & Lambert. All had reoccurrences and further breakdowns. Strong word is the rehab is no longer up to standard since Rob Innes moved on. You can thank the AFLs soft cap for that. No coincidence that we've struggled with injuries and the Swans have turned things around since he arrived
Is that simply your hypothesis or do you have something substantive and evidential to offer?

And on Lavey, I cannot see one player drafted after her that I would say we missed - damn! Help us out Tom Hunter - who did we miss that you would have been lobbying for? (I know you are not Tom Hunter - it is just as disingenuous by example as calling someone Kate who is obviously not Kate)

View attachment 1321026
Not sure what your point is? I said Lavey was one of our few wins.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Prestia, Nankervis, Houli, Cotchin, McKenzie & Lambert. All had reoccurrences and further breakdowns. Strong word is the rehab is no longer up to standard since Rob Innes moved on. You can thank the AFLs soft cap for that. No coincidence that we've struggled with injuries and the Swans have turned things around since he arrived

Not sure what your point is? I said Lavey was one of our very few wins.

I don’t know much about the current mechanics of the rehab team, but Cotchin for a start has had repeated hamstrings in previous seasons, and only missed one block of multiple games in 2021. Houli I don’t recall the exact injuries he had late in 2021 but he missed the first 3 games and the club said this was a carryover from his 2020 GF injury. Who knows if Innes could have done better in that unprecedented situation. Houli didn’t play again after rd 16 but by the time he’d have been returning from this injury the club probably wasn’t prioritising injury management for retiring players.

I can’t recall the Nakervis injury either but he missed 5 games there, and sat out the final game as well. Do you have any reason to believe Rob Innes prevents this injury or gets him back sooner than 5 weeks?

The club had to deal with having a match brought forward at late notice v Eagles and being repatriated on the run and things of that nature, which could not have helped.

If Innes went to the Swans, by my count lost around 100 matches to injury not including the Naismith ACL, and that is a roughly average or even high number I think.

We had a bad run with injuries last year but so did a lot of other clubs. So I presume a lot of clubs had to make similar cuts due to their soft cap. Who is to say with where the club is at now that cutting the rehab department isn’t wiser than say cutting the coaching staff? In any event, I think it is a bit early to be leaping to the conclusions you are coming to regarding the loss of Rob Innes. Having said that, I am sure he would be a loss.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

You’re clutching using loss of grace Campbell to make a point , we got enough battlers that have Xero improvement in them at the level , she avg 9p last year ,,,we got them too . Egan was a loss not sure what they’were thinking considering the plodders we listed in front of her . Dunno how you could comment on mckenzies injury unless you seen the medical file ,,,,have you or is itjust broadside. Heard some boofhead elsewhere carping about loss of a fitness guy ,,,heavens to Betsy ever since he’s gone post ‘21 wait for it , Prestia has been in rehab group pre season ,,,,lol , get some new material

Not sure what your point is? I said Lavey was one of our few wins.

You stated :
"We could have gotten Lavey for any pick so to suggest we got her for Campbell is wrong."

We used Pick 1 for McKenzie. Our next pick was 43. We obtained Pick43 for Campbell, we used it on Lavey. The only other pick we had was the one we used for Luca Lesosky-Hay. You suggested, or seemed to, that using 43 for Lavey was unnecessary. It was actually quite necessary. That was my point.

If Lavey is a win (and we both seem to agree she is) it seems a pretty good outcome. If we must lose someone, ensure you have a pick available early enough to obtain the someone you want. The Club was more confident of getting Lesosky-Hay with "any pick" no matter how late, than they were with Lavey - hence the timing - hence the obvious connection.

Last edited:

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
You stated :
"We could have gotten Lavey for any pick so to suggest we got her for Campbell is wrong."

We used Pick 1 for McKenzie. Our next pick was 43. We obtained Pick43 for Campbell, we used it on Lavey. The only other pick we had was the one we used for Luca Lesosky-Hay. You suggested, or seemed to, that using 43 for Lavey was unnecessary. It was actually quite necessary. That was my point.

If Lavey is a win (and we both seem to agree she is) it seems a pretty good outcome. If we must lose someone, ensure you have a pick available early enough to obtain the someone you want. The Club was more confident of getting Lesosky-Hay with "any pick" no matter how late, than they were with Lavey - hence the timing - hence the obvious connection.
You can’t change a closed mind

Lord of the Wings

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2020
Pacific Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
You’re clutching using loss of grace Campbell to make a point , we got enough battlers that have Xero improvement in them at the level , she avg 9p last year ,,,we got them too . Egan was a loss not sure what they’were thinking considering the plodders we listed in front of her . Dunno how you could comment on mckenzies injury unless you seen the medical file ,,,,have you or is itjust broadside. Heard some boofhead elsewhere carping about loss of a fitness guy ,,,heavens to Betsy ever since he’s gone post ‘21 wait for it , Prestia has been in rehab group pre season ,,,,lol , get some new material
Darren Burgess was paid the same as some of the senior coaches in the comp. That's how important clubs rate getting the best fitness guys to the club.
You can’t change a closed mind
nor half a one either

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Darren Burgess was paid the same as some of the senior coaches in the comp. That's how important clubs rate getting the best fitness guys to the club are.

nor half a one either

Don’t we have Burge in the same role as Burgess? head of high performance or whatever the title is…so wouldn’t Burge be our big money guy in that area?

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure. Don't know much about him as he has never worked at the club

Why did you bring him up as an example of how much some clubs are prepared to invest in getting "the best fitness guys to the club?” We have an equivalent person to him, Peter Burge, who last time I checked had played an integral role in 3 Premierships, v Burgess 1.

To support your point regarding Innes, wouldn’t you need to show what other clubs are prepared to invest in his area of speciality?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back