AFLW Gold Coast vs Richmond Sunday 30 January, 5.10pm Metricon (Melb time)

Smart player though.
Was probably the difference between the two sides.

Yeah, once Miller went to Bohanna after half time, that gave Perkins an easier match up and she knew it. She is a confidence player and that "speckky" 4 inches off the ground using Conti to lean on made her feel confident - she did some smart stuff after that!

Thought Shevlin did some good things.

Reid looks like she’s running in gumboots

Reid is not running as fluently - something a miss there. Could have been the humid conditions too - they are fairly sapping today and a some young players struggle with it. If we had the depth you would giver her spell.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Reid is not running as fluently - something a miss there. Could have been the humid conditions too - they are fairly sapping today and a some young players struggle with it. If we had the depth you would giver her spell.
Exactly, not physically up to it yet and confidence is down. She is very young and slight… needs time and support.
Not abuse.

Starting to look like Ferguson is a flop all the teams that started with us are going past us at a rate of knots

Bit harsh. This was a game for the taking and lost it - that is my only knock on Ferg this season and it takes more than one coach to get it correct - too slow to move Miller to Bohanna.

Profop

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Reality is that we are missing three of our top five most important players. Not sure any AFLW team would be able to cover that. Poppy out as well on top of that means we’re really struggling for talls

We’ve clearly improved and the gameplan seems more cohesive

The one thing we really do struggle with is halting an opponent team’s momentum when they are getting a run on. That should come with more training and experience

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bit harsh. This was a game for the taking and lost it - that is my only knock on Ferg this season and it takes more than one coach to get it correct - too slow to move Miller to Bohanna.
Which, of course, let Perkins off the leash.
Three of our probable top six out, plus Kelly who would be in our top ten players.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Reality is that we are missing three of our top five most important players. Not sure any AFLW team would be able to cover that. Poppy out as well on top of that means we’re really struggling for talls

We’ve clearly improved and the gameplan seems more cohesive

The one thing we really do struggle with is halting an opponent team’s momentum when they are getting a run on. That should come with more training and experience
Beat me to it👍

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
40 inside 50s to 19. We were lucky to be in it really.

In most cases, you would take that stat into account but not today, 5 goals from 40 entries tells you there inside '50s were rubbish. It's not like they had an extra 10-15 scoring shows where you can say lucky we did not kick straight from all our inside 50's. They only had 5 more points and 3 of their 5 goals literally bounced there way in, I couldn't believe on all occasions we didn't have someone on the goal line.

I am actually gutted we lost, feel for the girls as they gave it their all but we do need to get more runners in that side and players who can kick the ball.
It's a work in progress yes but without disrespecting GC, had Mackenzie, Wakefield, Poppy, and Cordner played it would be a 3-4 goal win by the tiges.

In most cases, you would take that stat into account but not today, 5 goals from 40 entries tells you there inside '50s were rubbish. It's not like they had an extra 10-15 scoring shows where you can say lucky we did not kick straight from all our inside 50's. They only had 5 more points and 3 of their 5 goals literally bounced there way in, I couldn't believe on all occasions we didn't have someone on the goal line.

I am actually gutted we lost, feel for the girls as they gave it their all but we do need to get more runners in that side and players who can kick the ball.
It's a work in progress yes but without disrespecting GC, had Mackenzie, Wakefield, Poppy, and Cordner played it would be a 3-4 goal win by the tiges.

No question at our best we have that game covered, but you can only beat who you play and that is what GC will be saying and they won with a little help from Rayzor Ray in the first half.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
At a guess Molan might be still carrying something, she was left out against Melb, and came back in last week. She is never an easy turner, but looked even more contained this week. Definitely has some work in front of her.

We are screaming out for Wakefield to straighten us up going forward. Lynch is improving with every game. Bec Miller nearly got us back in the game with move onto Bohanna, certainly subdued her, but just too much work for her to cover. Shevlin came into the game late I thought. Megan Kiely is one tough girl. Did any notice her and Perkins going extra hard at each other when they had the chance? Kiely may well take mark of the year in time - she is looking to launch! Dempsey has been good, a real improver. Kodi Jaques did a few good things too.

A special mention to Sarah Sansonetti, who has been terribly out of form - well she found it today. She was close to playing like she did two-three years ago. the desperation was back, the intent was back, and her kicking has improved with space. KB tried without a lot of support at times. Can the Club give Sophie Lock a go ahead of Stahl?

Molan might be still carrying something
concrete boots, like Lord of the Chicken Wings keeps saying? 🤣

Can the Club give Sophie Lock a go ahead of Stahl?

wasn't Stahl one of our better players? 😂
the 4 touches she had were sublime 🤣

Sophie Locke would be worth a look at, but where would we player her?
when we have our gun goal kicking machines in Stahl & Bernardi 😂

Last edited:
Can the Club give Sophie Lock a go ahead of Stahl?

wasn't Stahl one of our better players? 😂
the 4 touches she had were sublime 🤣

Sophie Locke would be worth a look at, but where would we player her?
when we have our gun players in Stahl & Bernardi 😂

I know Stahl is heralded - and I get it - she has some silky skills at training when the intesity is lower and oppo is friendlier. She seems to lack the courage of game play - often going low in an act of defeat, she actually plays like a defeated player much of the time. She bobs up from time to time and I guess if she adds something to the group dynamic, well good, but it just isn't working for the game I don't think.

Also, Dempsey's miss from the 50 was crucial. 35 out, no one on the mark running straight to goal and she shanks it. Really should have slotted that and we would have well and truly had momentum. Just rushed it.

We have too few
I know Stahl is heralded - and I get it - she has some silky skills at training when the intesity is lower and oppo is friendlier. She seems to lack the courage of game play - often going low in an act of defeat, she actually plays like a defeated player much of the time. She bobs up from time to time and I guess if she adds something to the group dynamic, well good, but it just isn't working for the game I don't think.
She didn’t grow up playing the game, I think that’s part of it.
The options we have in terms of moving pieces around are limited.
I was wrong about Jacques she is short a yard of pace.
We don’t have enough players 170 and taller that can move quickly.

We had our chances in the third to get more on the scoreboard, Bernardi, playing on from a fifty 35 mtr out.

At least they only got one goal from a fifty.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

i would class her as a gun bush league player (South Eastern Women’s Division 2)
a good/O.K lower league player (VFLW)

but in the AFLW she hasn't got any tricks/skills which regularly worry defenders sadly :(
too much pressure on her out there, for her to cope, haven't seen her hold her feet, show much speed & hasn't much stamina

but our fwd line is the Sahara desert when we only get it in 20 times & the oppo 40 times in the last 2 games
But i'll watch the replay tonight & see what i see

Last edited:

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Well atleast the Dogs are playing again on Tuesday before our game so will surely be cooked fot next weeks game. They have also been struggling.

i would class her as a gun bush league player (South Eastern Women’s Division 2)
a good/O.K lower league player (VFLW)

but in the AFLW she hasn't got any tricks/skills which regularly worry defenders sadly :(
too much pressure on her out there, for her to cope, haven't seen her hold her feet, show much speed & hasn't much stamina

but our fwd line is the Sahara desert when we only get it in 20 times & the oppo 40 times in the last 2 games
But i'll watch the replay tonight & see what i see

It delivers moments of hope and but the real skills were put on show by the Gold Coast - their ball movement was braver and better. I hope we learn from it.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
It delivers moments of hope and but the real skills were put on show by the Gold Coast - their ball movement was braver and better. I hope we learn from it.

yeah their ball movement was much better, they hit their team mates far more than we did

Conti tagged by Stanton broke even

Rowbottom tagged by Kiely, well beaten by Rowbottom, what a beast of a young player, everyone goes on about G.Prespakis, but Rowbottom is going to be a very special player

D'Arcy on Bohanna 1st half, got well beaten, didn't fair much better on Perkins in 2nd half, bad game goal wise, 3 kicked against her
Bohanna could've had 5 goals, Brennan could've had 4 goals all easy get-able shots

Miller who had a great game, did a better job on both GCS key fwds when she was on them
going to be a problem now that Cordner is out & we come across 2-3 key fwd sides, we haven't got a replacement

didn't get much out of Stahl, Bernardi, Yassir, Reid & Dargan (1 goal total) in our fwd line
Bernardi x 2, Dempsey & Brennan x 2 missed sitters
using Stahl, Bernardi as deep fwds isn't working

our fwd entries were atrocious, theirs weren't much better
the 2 sides as selected were evenly matched, but if we had Wakefield, McKenzie & Kelly we win easily

shout out to Sansonetti & J.Hosking who played excellent games, Dempsey as well but turned over the ball alot
Shevlin, Lynch, Jacques & S.Hosking tried hard
got to stop kicking to a 1 on 3 or 4 or 5, it's never going to end well

GCS coming of a 14 day break showed towards the end, looked way quicker and fitter

ha ha ha, when Surman kicked the opening goal 4Q with no one within 25 metres of her, Conti cracked it with our defenders pointing why Surman was so free 🤦‍♂️
probably by 4Q fatigue had set in, we were running on fumes

GCS out played us, no 2 ways about it & umpiring didn't really affect the flow of the game or favour one side

our problem is
no Cordner = no 2nd big def, Akec?
no Wakefield = no marking target other than Brennan, why on earth are we continually kicking it high for Yassir to be a marking target, we kick it to her down the line nearly as much as Brennan & Wakefield 🤦‍♂️
no Kelly = no 2nd ruck, Seymour looks tired, workload is catching up with her

my best in no particular order
Conti, Brennan, Miller, J.Hosking, Dempsey & Seymour
R4a.png

R4 b.png

Last edited:
There was a bit of play in the last quarter where Katie Brennan took a mark just outside our 50 on the flank wheeled and kicked it to CHF with Molan running fwd in a one on one with Kalinda Howarth ( the one who played for the head high but got up without the trainers coming out)

Molan has nearly 10cm on her and probably 15 kilo and didnt fight for position to try and take the mark just tried to bring it to ground.
That is the most disappointed I have been in Molan.
We can only play the cards in our hand but fmd if we have someone that size why isnt she being taught to use her size to her advantage.
She can take a tackle and handball but thats it.

We are still being affected by the sh.t decisions of Kate Sheehan and Tom Hunter in setting up the team and how they mived forward.

We do have injuries but it’s one fwd, one defender, one midfielder, one ruck.
If you havent built a list to cover that you’ve done a poor job.

yeah their ball movement was much better, they hit their team mates far more than we did

Conti tagged by Stanton broke even

Rowbottom tagged by Kiely, well beaten by Rowbottom, what a beast of a young player, everyone goes on about G.Prespakis, but Rowbottom is going to be a very special player

D'Arcy on Bohanna 1st half, got well beaten, didn't fair much better on Perkins in 2nd half, bad game goal wise, 3 kicked against her
Bohanna could've had 5 goals, Brennan could've had 4 goals all easy get-able shots

Miller who had a great game, did a better job on both GCS key fwds when she was on them
going to be a problem now that Cordner is out & we come across 2-3 key fwd sides, we haven't got a replacement

didn't get much out of Stahl, Bernardi, Yassir, Reid & Dargan (1 goal total) in our fwd line
Bernardi x 2, Dempsey & Brennan x 2 missed sitters
using Stahl, Bernardi as deep fwds isn't working

our fwd entries were atrocious, theirs weren't much better
the 2 sides as selected were evenly matched, but if we had Wakefield, McKenzie & Kelly we win easily

shout out to Sansonetti & J.Hosking who played excellent games, Dempsey as well but turned over the ball alot
Shevlin, Lynch, Jacques & S.Hosking tried hard
got to stop kicking to a 1 on 3 or 4 or 5, it's never going to end well

GCS coming of a 14 day break showed towards the end, looked way quicker and fitter

ha ha ha, when Surman kicked the opening goal 4Q with no one within 25 metres of her, Conti cracked it with our defenders pointing why Surman was so free 🤦‍♂️
probably by 4Q fatigue had set in, we were running on fumes

GCS out played us, no 2 ways about it & umpiring didn't really affect the flow of the game or favour one side

our problem is
no Cordner = no 2nd big def, Akec?
no Wakefield = no marking target other than Brennan, why on earth are we continually kicking it high for Yassir to be a marking target, we kick it to her down the line nearly as much as Brennan & Wakefield 🤦‍♂️
no Kelly = no 2nd ruck, Seymour looks tired, workload is catching up with her

my best in no particular order
Conti, Brennan, Miller, J.Hosking, Dempsey & Seymour
View attachment 1319129
View attachment 1319130

Great coverage there Stanley

We have too few

She didn’t grow up playing the game, I think that’s part of it.
The options we have in terms of moving pieces around are limited.
I was wrong about Jacques she is short a yard of pace.
We don’t have enough players 170 and taller that can move quickly.

We had our chances in the third to get more on the scoreboard, Bernardi, playing on from a fifty 35 mtr out.

At least they only got one goal from a fifty.

I haven't watched the game yet. Not sure I will TBO.

Yeah I mentioned this previously. Jacques was tried in the midfield in our first year after doing ok there in VFLW but pace was an issue at AFLW level back then. Game is even quicker now.

She then became that small pressure forward with mixed results.

Back