AFLW Gold Coast vs Richmond Sunday 30 January, 5.10pm Metricon (Melb time)

Remove this Banner Ad

That gap even bigger now as the W standard has improved , draftees arent stepping right in and making an immediate mark,,,I asked how the other top 5 are tracking , rowbottom perhaps , the rest like you’d expect from teenage talent. Slowly the depth will improve , still 3-5y away
LOL - 3 to 5 years away! You need to do a bit more research. Some of the other draftee's from the last 2 years are going very nicely and making our busted picks look like amateurs.

LOL - 3 to 5 years away! You need to do a bit more research. Some of the other draftee's from the last 2 years are going very nicely and making our busted picks look like amateurs.
Just looking at the 2019 and 2020 drafts really the only pick with question marks when compared to who was taken after is Molan. We hit our first two picks last year out of the park so I'm not really sure what you're basing this opinion on? it's certainly not based on research

None of the players taken after Reid in the Melbourne pool have dominated at all so far

Just looking at the 2019 and 2020 drafts really the only pick with question marks when compared to who was taken after is Molan. We hit our first two picks last year out of the park so I'm not really sure what you're basing this opinion on? it's certainly not based on research

None of the players taken after Reid in the Melbourne pool have dominated at all so far
Friswell, Annie Lee (who I would have picked instead of Reid), Vickers, Ling and James have all shown significantly more talent at senior level in either practice matches or games than Reid has offered to date. Friswell, Vickers and James are all averaging twice as many disposals as Reid in less game time.

Last edited:

Friswell, Annie Lee (who I would have picked instead of Reid), Vickers, Ling and James have all shown significantly more talent at senior level in either practice matches or games than Reid has offered to date. Friswell, Vickers and James are all averaging twice as many disposals as Reid in less game time.
I mean averaging double Reid's output is hardly what I'd call a groundbreaking difference. Little bit unhinged to be putting the ruler through any player who has played only four games in their first year on the list

If you had a point on any previous drafts maybe you'd get more credibility but Molan aside I think they've done a pretty good job building a team from scratch

Really our biggest mistake in hindsight was the 1st round pick for Frederick but at the time I think every team would have done that trade

I mean averaging double Reid's output is hardly what I'd call a groundbreaking difference. Little bit unhinged to be putting the ruler through any player who has played only four games in their first year on the list

If you had a point on any previous drafts maybe you'd get more credibility but Molan aside I think they've done a pretty good job building a team from scratch

Really our biggest mistake in hindsight was the 1st round pick for Frederick but at the time I think every team would have done that trade

Some good calls. That Stella Reid is playing in every game so far in her first season is probably exceeding her and the Club's early expectations. Maybe I am incorrect, but if I recall correctly Reid was taken for her scope for development. It is probably fair to say she has has two ordinary games in the four so far - but the development is there. That she is not as advanced as the girls LOTR mentions is still OK with the season 4 games old. If Stella gets to play all the games this year - I'm all for that. Still think she has a high IQ footy brain. Let LOTR shout anything from the rooftops - careers are not judged on four games or even a first season.

Still think Yassir is gold, Kiely a great pick, truly great, like Tessa Lavey was. Time is on the side of the others.

That said, unless Molan is carrying an injury through games at the moment, I might be ready to jump on his bandwagon (but without the personal abuse). She looks sore, but what would I know from 2000kms away. She has had some good games - we want those games to become the base line when fit and healthy. It's time.

They have made more mistakes than Molan and Frederick. The latter I called a mistake at the time.

1. They let Grace Egan walk when they could have pre-listed her for nothing.
2. They gave the recruiting role to a d-grade player who'd never done recruiting before who then proceeded to draft herself.
3. They lost Grace Campbell for a handful of magic beans.
4. Sarah Hosking cost us a mid 1st round draft pick. Ok last year but poor this year.
5. They keep drafting Sheehan's mates in Whitford and Dargan et al who simply aren't up to it.
6. Our 2nd best player in our 1st season walked out on the club with a major gripe.

That's just off the top of my head. About the only thing they have got right is Conti, Lavey and Seymour. McKenzie was a no brainer at no.1.

Outside of those 4 players + Cordner and Brennan I'm not sure we'd get better than a 3rd rounder for any of the rest. Going into our 4th season inc our VFLW season that's a very poor result.

Last edited:
Surely it's worth at least a week FFS!!!! :p

Charge Laid:
Celine Moody, Western Bulldogs
, has been charged with Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackle) against Lisa Steane, GWS GIANTS, during the third quarter of the Round Four match between the GWS GIANTS and Western Bulldogs, played at Henson Park on Friday January 28, 2022.

In summary, the player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a $400 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Some good calls. That Stella Reid is playing in every game so far in her first season is probably exceeding her and the Club's early expectations. Maybe I am incorrect, but if I recall correctly Reid was taken for her scope for development. It is probably fair to say she has has two ordinary games in the four so far - but the development is there. That she is not as advanced as the girls LOTR mentions is still OK with the season 4 games old. If Stella gets to play all the games this year - I'm all for that. Still think she has a high IQ footy brain. Let LOTR shout anything from the rooftops - careers are not judged on four games or even a first season.

Still think Yassir is gold, Kiely a great pick, truly great, like Tessa Lavey was. Time is on the side of the others.

That said, unless Molan is carrying an injury through games at the moment, I might be ready to jump on his bandwagon (but without the personal abuse). She looks sore, but what would I know from 2000kms away. She has had some good games - we want those games to become the base line when fit and healthy. It's time.

Agree with all of that Ace.

Stella isn't going to get better just training. Different story if VFLW was up and about but its not so happy to invest in her.

Who is she keeping out anyway? Cupboard is almost bare

um, sure, O.K.

pick 2: Prespakis (cats) 13.8 disp/4 games

pick 3: Friend (saints) not played yet

pick 4: Reid (Tigers) 4.5 disp/4 games

pick 7: Friswell (cats) 8.3 disp/4 games

pick 9: Featherston (cats) 4.3 disp/3 games

pick 10: Lee (blues) 5.7 disp/3 games

pick 11: Sherar (blues) 12 disp/2 games

Pick 12: Richards (saints) 3 disp/1 game

pick 13: Craven (North) not played yet

Pick 15: Johnson (cats) 6.7 disp/3 games

pick 16: Yassir (Tigers) 5 disp/3 games

Pick 19: Slender (North) not played yet

Pick 22: Ling (dogs) 5.5 disp/2 games

pick 23: Vickers (blues) 8.5 disp/ 2 games

Pick 25: Smith (dogs) not played yet

pick 26: Milford (blues) not played yet

pick 27: Snell (dogs) not played yet

Pick 29: James (pies) 8 disp/4 games

yeah Reid compared to the top 18 Vic picks, is by far the worst performed 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️
like any top notch recruiter will tell you it's not about today, but about the future, ie larger upside player as opposed to none/limited upside
mate it took Dusty Martin years to get to where he is now, the best player in the AFL

Last edited:
Agree with all of that Ace.

Stella isn't going to get better just training. Different story if VFLW was up and about but its not so happy to invest in her.

Who is she keeping out anyway? Cupboard is almost bare
Reid 173
Mclelland is 174
Shevlin 174
Molan 175
McKenzie 176

The average height now is 170, we need to keep bigger bodies on the field it’s only going to become more the norm over 170.

Rowbottom 180

um, sure, O.K.

pick 2: Prespakis (cats) 13.8 disp/4 games

pick 3: Friend (saints) not played yet

pick 4: Reid (Tigers) 4.5 disp/4 games

pick 7: Friswell (cats) 8.3 disp/4 games

pick 9: Featherston (cats) 4.3 disp/3 games

pick 10: Lee (blues) 5.7 disp/3 games

pick 11: Sherar (blues) 12 disp/2 games

Pick 12: Richards (saints) 3 disp/1 game

pick 13: Craven (North) not played yet

Pick 15: Johnson (cats) 6.7 disp/3 games

pick 16: Yassir (Tigers) 5 disp/3 games

Pick 19: Slender (North) not played yet

Pick 22: Ling (dogs) 5.5 disp/2 games

pick 23: Vickers (blues) 8.5 disp/ 2 games

Pick 25: Smith (dogs) not played yet

pick 26: Milford (blues) not played yet

pick 27: Snell (dogs) not played yet

Pick 29: James (pies) 8 disp/4 games

yeah Reid compared to the top 18 Vic picks, is by far the worst performed 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️
like any top notch recruiter will tell you it's not about today, but about the future, ie larger upside player as opposed to none/limited upside
mate it took Dusty Martin years to get to where he is now, the best player in the AFL
Craven has played 1 game
If you actually watch the games Stan - Reid is way out of her depth at the level whilst the others I mentioned all look comfortable.

For example Reid got the ball against GC was under no pressure and handballed it straight to the opposition because she was worried about contact.............not a good look or sign.

Overall agree with most of the comments here. Early list management left plenty to be desired and it is showing. Nevertheless, our team are going fine, playing with spirit and enough skill. Terrible run with key players injured, it is just bad luck.

I enjoyed Lynch’s game this week, that was the best I have seen her play. We were soundly beaten in the ruck tap outs , and their midfield got on top, with a couple of our girls in there a bit disappointing on the day. From there they had two good forward targets and we only had one decent opponent for them, so our struggles became predictable.

Nothing to panic about. We are not a contender this season, and looking at the age profile of our list it certainly won’t hurt if we secure some more high draft picks. I am satisfied most of our issues were structural caused by absences, and not something the coach could do much about. I think we remain on a decent track. We have troubled every opponent this season for decent periods, and given two of them are very strong teams, that represents good enough progress for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need pace not size
The ball moves three times as fast as a player running if you can mark it in a chain.
Or
You can stop it moving by marking it.

You are right though too many under 170 who don’t have elite speed at the moment.

Craven has played 1 game
If you actually watch the games Stan - Reid is way out of her depth at the level whilst the others I mentioned all look comfortable.

For example Reid got the ball against GC was under no pressure and handballed it straight to the opposition because she was worried about contact.............not a good look or sign.

Or, against Melbourne moves to a great position at a stoppage, sharks to opposition tap and goals on her left.

The reality is we can go tit for tat on an 18 year old who has played 4 games after being rated highly by every Club in Australia and acknowledging that she is a great development prospect. Seriously what would be the point. I get your alarm over Molan, don't agree with how you enunciate it - but hey we are all different. I'll always engage even if we don't agree - that is how a Forum is meant to be.

We need pace not size

Lol, we need both. Don't need size?, please......... Size, pace and skill just beat us on the weekend and yet we were still in it in the 4th.

Last edited:
Craven has played 1 game

Looking at stats alone which is only part of the picture tells me only 1 of top 10 is at the level , hard to argue otherwise ,,,my comment 3-5y away was referring to the teams in this comp having way better depth than 4-6 good players then quickly going down from there ,,,Reid has looked like a star struck kid from the get go and millzy is running up and down on one spot ,,,still not perturbed as they should be playing vfl, and the performance of most peers from last years draft further underlines my point that the std has gone up a few notches so no surprise draftees arent quickly at the level

Molan has looked terrible this season, a battler at best , missing pre season has not helped ,,,at all , a delisting beckons

Looking at stats alone which is only part of the picture tells me only 1 of top 10 is at the level , hard to argue otherwise ,,,my comment 3-5y away was referring to the teams in this comp having way better depth than 4-6 good players then quickly going down from there ,,,Reid has looked like a star struck kid from the get go and millzy is running up and down on one spot ,,,still not perturbed as they should be playing vfl, and the performance of most peers from last years draft further underlines my point that the std has gone up a few notches so no surprise draftees arent quickly at the level
Rowbottom and Prespakis both performing at the same level as McKenzie was in her 1st year. Both will be stars of the comp.

I have gone early on Reid and hence that is somewhat unfair but I've seen traits that are too similar to Molan not to be really worried. We can't afford to get another top 10 pick so wrong.

Molan has looked terrible this season, a battler at best , missing pre season has not helped ,,,at all , a delisting beckons
Not only is she slow and timid but when she actually gets the ball she can't kick over a jam tin. It makes no sense to me that she can be a top 10 pick yet the key forward that dominated for GC on Sunday was overlooked 3 drafts in a row.

Not only is she slow and timid but when she actually gets the ball she can't kick over a jam tin. It makes no sense to me that she can be a top 10 pick yet the key forward that dominated for GC on Sunday was overlooked 3 drafts in a row.
I suspect they call that the benefit of hindsight.......

this is crazy talk, you two are crazy

did you not see the 50 metre bomb she let go and it went thru the big sticks against Freo?

the hip & shoulder that made the Freo player sick & sorry, had to be helped by 2 trainers off the field

what about when Molan ran thru 2 GC players & sat them on their arse, that wasn't timid, was it?

& her 20 metre hand pass that set up Brennan's 2nd goal, it was Polly Farmer like!

the crunching tackles, the 40 metre pin point passes, are you not seeing this?

you two are too harsh of one of our classiest & toughest players & i wont stand by while you besmirch her name!!!

i wont, do you hear???

did you not see the 50 metre bomb she let go and it went thru the big sticks against Freo?

the hip & shoulder that made the Freo player sick & sorry, had to be helped by 2 trainers off the field

what about when Molan ran thru 2 GC players & sat them on their arse, that wasn't timid, was it?

& her 20 metre hand pass that set up Brennan's 2nd goal, it was Polly Farmer like!

you two are too harsh of one of our classiest & toughest players & i wont stand by while you besmirch her name!!!

i wont, do you hear???
Missed all those Stan but happy to take your word on them all :)

Missed all those Stan but happy to take your word on them all :)

ha ha it was written in light hearted jest, none of it happened ;)
but i wished it did

key forward that dominated for GC on Sunday was overlooked 3 drafts in a row.
she nominated for the draft six times and missed out six times

i wont, do you hear???
At my age Stanley, that is a very mean thing to do, I started to second guess my already failing memory, mean, mean, mean!;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back