Gold Coast - What are they building?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stuart Dew joined there 12 months ago, Mark Evans in February as their CEO. They've got a feel for the place and the playing group, and now we're seeing a new "personality" coming from the club. Not Cochrane playing hard ball through the media, but instead, six players in and five out with minimal fuss, and a pick-only trade or two as well which foster good relations with other clubs.

In:
Collins - special assistance
Burgess - special assistance
Corbett - special assistance
Horlin-Smith - Geelong
Ellis - Richmond
Miles - Richmond

Out:
Lynch - Richmond
Scrimshaw - Hawthorn
Hall - North Melbourne
(pending) Kolodjashnij - Melbourne?
(pending) May - Melbourne/Collingwood/Victorian club?

So I'm curious; how much influence are the new coach and CEO having at this stage? Is this them putting their mark on things? Is it an overhaul of the "culture" everyone keeps banging on about? Even the image of the club appears more professional than it did previously, and that seems to match with this idea of Dew bringing Sydney's professional standards to the Gold Coast.

Lots of media talk about "restarting".

They seem to be actively clearing out anyone who doesn't want to be there, or doesn't seem to have the right attitude/commitment. They then seem to be following the GWS route of recruiting experienced players who are solid citizens and good role-models for the kids. Players who struggled to make the best 22 at another club, or who have been given a second chance, are going to be busting their guts for the Suns.

It will be a painful road, but they've been open and honest about where they're at. As long as the young guys see that things are changing/improving, the hope is that they will be more willing to stick around.

Building? They're just doing what they can to stop the freefall.

giphy.gif

They seem to be actively clearing out anyone who doesn't want to be there, or doesn't seem to have the right attitude/commitment. They then seem to be following the GWS route of recruiting experienced players who are solid citizens and good role-models for the kids. Players who struggled to make the best 22 at another club, or who have been given a second chance, are going to be busting their guts for the Suns.

It will be a painful road, but they've been open and honest about where they're at. As long as the young guys see that things are changing/improving, the hope is that they will be more willing to stick around.
So starting fresh altogether? I wonder if it's just a list rebuild or if it goes further than that. Like if they've actually aired everything, had meetings with individuals or groups about the direction of the club etc.

You have to do it the first time before you can learn from your mistakes and do it the second time, I guess. GWS had the benefit of watching Gold Coast go first, and probably had better zones than what Gold Coast did. Now I guess Gold Coast get to learn from what GWS did, and rebuild themselves in that mould? Though without the initial build concessions I suppose.

Building? They're just doing what they can to stop the freefall.
Pretty effectively stopping the freefall I think, better than I would've expected three weeks ago. In terms of rebuilding the club itself, its culture, the way it works on the inside, and the way it's perceived from the outside. It looks like new management are putting their stamp on things.

By adding a bunch of fringies? How effective is that?
Getting rid of people that don't want to be there and adding people with motivation, work ethic and the right attitude? I'd say that's pretty effectively going in the right direction, as opposed to just going to the draft and picking up 8 kids that don't want to be there.

Getting rid of people that don't want to be there and adding people with motivation, work ethic and the right attitude? I'd say that's pretty effectively going in the right direction, as opposed to just going to the draft and picking up 8 kids that don't want to be there.
It remains to be seen how effective it is. Right now, they're in freefall and will be s**t again next year. But by all means give them a round of applause.

Stuart Dew joined there 12 months ago, Mark Evans in February as their CEO. They've got a feel for the place and the playing group, and now we're seeing a new "personality" coming from the club.

i'm not sure if we are seeing too much more. This looks like the same old GC. We know Evans is a good CEO, i'm not sure Dew is a good coach. His record so far indicates he isn't that great.

A strong draft this year and hopefully the pick a bunch of talented kids who hang around for a few years. Will probably win the spoon next year so should get another crack at the best young talent and build from there

From an business point of view the Gold Coast may make a lot of sense. I have heard that grass roots footy in Queensland is booming, which can only be a good thing for the future strength of the AFL.

But the problem is, in order to implement this "business decision" the AFL is expecting 18 year old kids to do the work on the ground. Expecting them to spend the best years of their very short careers on the Gold Coast. Then when they leave, the Gold Coast goes back to square one.

Also, GWS and Gold Coast aren't in the same situation. Living in Sydney >>>>>>>>> having to live on the Gold Coast.

Would be nice to think they have a strategy in place but the reality is they are losing a stack of talented players for very little return. Has a huge Mick Malthouse 2014 vibe about it: technically the right idea, but shocking execution. Things are going to get a heap worse before they get better.

Miles, Ellis and GHS will all be certain starters, but they’d hope they won’t be near their best 22 in a few years time.

Taking the two King brothers might be beneficial, but I could equally see them requesting trades back to VIC in a few years too.

There’s also no Ablett factor to attract players to the club. It was clear his performances were papering over the lack of depth of the team overall, but now with Lynch heading home too they’ve got no genuine marketable stars to drag supporters into the gates.

Would be nice to see them turn it around, but can’t see how they are going to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are building a fence.

To keep out the southern poachers and predators......
Remove any feral animals from within the fence...
Transplant some mature trees to provide shelter and structure...
Add a sprinkling of young healthy natives from other environments....
Apply liberal amounts of sun, water, and fertiliser to allow the young natives to develop fully....
Wait for cross-pollination with the abundant local population....
Put a sign on the fence reading "No Port, not even if there is a storm"....
Keep maintaining the fence, preferably with extra funds allocated for that purpose by the powers that be....
Once the local population reaches sufficient numbers to withstand mild predation, take down the sign....
Keep maintaining the fence, the siren call of the predators never stops, it never sleeps....

Lets hope it is a magnificent fence.

From an business point of view the Gold Coast may make a lot of sense. I have heard that grass roots footy in Queensland is booming, which can only be a good thing for the future strength of the AFL.

But the problem is, in order to implement this "business decision" the AFL is expecting 18 year old kids to do the work on the ground. Expecting them to spend the best years of their very short careers on the Gold Coast. Then when they leave, the Gold Coast goes back to square one.

Also, GWS and Gold Coast aren't in the same situation. Living in Sydney >>>>>>>>> having to live on the Gold Coast.

Mind you, the GWS could be in the same boat in a few years if they keep losing a lot of top end talent. The Salary Cap isn't really working with both new clubs as they clearly have to pay overs to retain players whilst in particular the bigger destination clubs can get away with playing unders. They also are a bit compromised in the draft as well. See the Weller trade, brisbanes strategy of picking non metro Vic players and GWS accepting unders on a regular basis

Not much else they can do.

I think their main tactic will be on draft night. I think the reason they are so happy to trade May is to get pick 5 and take 3 S.A. kids in the hope the can keep them all together.

I don't mind that tactic. It's obviously bloody tough to get anyone to go there right now so they are building from the bottom up. Brisbane were able to build from a really bad spot, albeit not as bad as GC's.

Not much else they can do.

I think their main tactic will be on draft night. I think the reason they are so happy to trade May is to get pick 5 and take 3 S.A. kids in the hope the can keep them all together.

I don't mind that tactic. It's obviously bloody tough to get anyone to go there right now so they are building from the bottom up. Brisbane were able to build from a really bad spot, albeit not as bad as GC's.
To be fair how long does it take for St Kilda after 2011 to make finals .

To be fair how long does it take for St Kilda after 2011 to make finals .
I'm not having a crack at your club. I said I didn't mind the tactic.

It's taking my club a hell of a lot longer to make to make finals then we'd hoped. Not sure you can compare the two clubs though, both completely different circumstances.

Sounds like the Mark Neeld strategy. Lets hope for their sake they do better than we did in those few years.

Mind you, the GWS could be in the same boat in a few years if they keep losing a lot of top end talent. The Salary Cap isn't really working with both new clubs as they clearly have to pay overs to retain players whilst in particular the bigger destination clubs can get away with playing unders. They also are a bit compromised in the draft as well. See the Weller trade, brisbanes strategy of picking non metro Vic players and GWS accepting unders on a regular basis

I am not convinced that GWS is in the same boat as GCS. It could end up being the case. I also don't agree that it has been shown yet that it costs more to keep players at the GWS compared to the Swans. At the moment, the salary cap problem GWS are having is that they drafted well and developed their players well, so they are having to dump salary to keep the next generation of players. GWS have managed to lose players and get reasonably well compensated. The initial concessions by the AFL were massive and they got lucky by being able to pass some early mistakes onto Carlton to an extent . But given that, they deserve some credit for having drafted/developed the players on their list that any club would struggle to fit into a salary cap.

We are building a fence.

Apply liberal amounts of sun, water, and fertiliser to allow the young natives to develop fully....
Keep maintaining the fence, preferably with extra funds allocated for that purpose by the powers that be....
Once the local population reaches sufficient numbers to withstand mild predation, take down the sign....
Keep maintaining the fence, the siren call of the predators never stops, it never sleeps....

I like the players GC has bought in. Especially Miles - great character. I see GC as probably doing a better job second time around. The kids come into an established team. GC gets mature players that have high standards and can compete week in week out - not A graders though. Good drafting and development and GC could get fairly good fairly quickly. Just don't take the short cuts. Build via trading in quality people that are worth an AFL spot (fairly cheap thing to do too), and drafting for good character.

I like the idea of a fence as an analogy. But you have to make the inside of the fence worth staying around for. That's where GC have fallen over so far. Make it attractive to stay and GC will be fine. Easier said than done though - I'd know, it took my team about 30 years to get it right.

We are building a fence.

Hi Donald, are you getting the Vics to pay for the fence aswell :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back