Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brown was sacked after 3 years.
Brennan retired after his first contract was finished.
Hunt was basically sacked after 4 years when it was discovered he was on the gear.
Dixon was basically let go after being seen as unprofessional, a destabilising influence and then asking for too much money.
Krakouer left for mental health reasons after just one season.

So they were all moved on pretty quickly.
Freo made quite a few misses in the early years in regards to recruiting players. It took us till 2002 until we won 3 in a row FFS.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Yes, WHAT THE HELL! Now rumors of David Swallow wanting out and returning to WA. Can it get any worse for the Suns? Tom Lynch probably gone, Steven May and David Swallow maybe, their 3 best players.

They haven't bottomed out yet, where do they go if they lose these 3?

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes, WHAT THE HELL! Now rumors of David Swallow wanting out and returning to WA. Can it get any worse for the Suns? Tom Lynch probably gone, Steven May and David Swallow maybe, their 3 best players.

Brisbane is my favourite QLD side and it appears the greater world agrees

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Brisbane is my favourite QLD side and it appears the greater world agrees
I had a look at their list and if these 3 leave they are in terrible shape with their list, if all the players left were on the market the only ones I'd be interested in would be Touk Miller, Ben Ainsworth and Jack Martin.

#crisis

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Reset with Touk Miller as captain driving the culture the club desperately needs. If I was GCS i would be bringing good people to the club.. Jarrod McVeigh & Bachar Houli are obvious targets, if Jarrod Roughead is in fact a chance to get pushed out of Hawthorn i would be offering him a 3 year deal, if Burgoyne wants to play next year offer him a contract. Stewie Dew would already have relationships with these hawks players and they would help change the culture within the whole club whilst adding top draft picks to the list.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
They're pretty much ****ed.

Will lose Lynch.

Will lose May next year.

Swallow looks like leaving now, with kids like Brodie and Scrimshaw rumored to be wanting out.

Who will be left? They don't have the draft concessions anymore and a couple of picks a year isn't going to rebuild them any time soon.

Hard to build a football team if nobody wants to live there.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They're pretty much ******.

Will lose Lynch.

Will lose May next year.

Swallow looks like leaving now, with kids like Brodie and Scrimshaw rumored to be wanting out.

Who will be left? They don't have the draft concessions anymore and a couple of picks a year isn't going to rebuild them any time soon.

One of our moderators described living in the Gold Coast like being in a game of Grand Theft Auto

He he

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

You forget (or didn't even know) the Lions up the road were in this position just 2 years ago.

I come back to my comment in previous post, they need the right people in charge. Worked wonders with us, will for the SUNS as well.

This has nothing to do with my comment

Why quote me?

I am assuming that your comment was a flow on from the David Swallow comment which appears to have been pulled out of thin air by Jon Ralph who wrote the article stating that Dave Swallow is out of contract next year so must be wanting to go home. this has all of a sudden become - OMG Dave Swallow wants to go home, The SUNS are going to fold, they can't hold their players. This kind of bullshit journalism needs to stop

Will lose Lynch.

Will lose May next year.

See this post as an example.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
May & Swallow are contracted until next year, would be better for Gold Coast to keep them on the list for another 12 months and get top compensation (AFL will make sure that happens).. Gold Coast every chance for spoon next year so could end up with picks 1,2 & 3.. If they look for a trade this year, they will get a 2nd round picks.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
I am assuming that your comment was a flow on from the David Swallow comment which appears to have been pulled out of thin air by Jon Ralph who wrote the article stating that Dave Swallow is out of contract next year so must be wanting to go home. this has all of a sudden become - OMG Dave Swallow wants to go home, The SUNS are going to fold, they can't hold their players. This kind of bullshit journalism needs to stop

See this post as an example.

I get you

I was making a general statement

Player retention is one piece of the puzzle

mianfei

Club Legend
May 10, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
St Kilda
As a long time Richmond supporter it is hard to ignore that leadership in setting up culture is as important high end draft picks when building a decent/competitive side. Many ex players have stated the culture at GC is shagged.
There’s no doubt about that. Middle-class culture – incorporating an attendant powerful hostility towards anything bar rigidly amateur sport – was a major reason why Hawthorn and St. Kilda were so bad for so long up to the middle 1950s, and that it is absent on the Gold Coast I am not convinced. If teams on the Gold Coast have problems with the local culture, it is by no means tough to imagine that a competitive Suns team is a long time in the future.

Hawthorn did not have a peacetime season better than 7—11 until 1954, and won four games or fewer in nineteen of their first twenty-nine senior seasons, 20 of their first 28 Reserves seasons, and nine of their first fifteen Under-19 seasons (the “amateur ideal” culture was so strong that the Hawks’ Under-19s won five or fewer games in fifteen seasons from 1946 to as late as 1968).

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
You forget (or didn't even know) the Lions up the road were in this position just 2 years ago.

I come back to my comment in previous post, they need the right people in charge. Worked wonders with us, will for the SUNS as well.

No you weren't and don't act as like you are some sort of exemplary example either, after your first decent month of football in 5 years.

If you had of lost all those kids & Beams, Zorko, Martin etc, you might come close to the equivalent of losing Ablett, Dixon, Lynch, May, Swallow in consecutive years

Back