Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

While you do need to wonder if any football team in any code will ever be successful in the Bermuda Triangle that is the Gold Coast, they really have not been helped by poor recruitment and retention.

Only Harbrow, Rischitelli, Swallow, May, Day, Lynch, Nicholls and Thompson remain on the list from the 2011 team: 8 players from an initial list of 53, including rookies. Of the additions in 2012, only Hall and Sexton are still on the list. From the additions in 2013, only Lonergan.

Meanwhile Ablett, Bennell, Dixon, Matera, McKenzie, Prestia, Smith, Hickey, Caddy and O'Meara are all still playing, but at other clubs.

They had a big chance to get things right with all their concessions but they pretty much blew it.

Dew deserve a chance to turn the place around. With his experience at Port, Hawthorn and Sydney he knows what a successful club looks like.

Did I hear there was 17k there? That's promising, but then they serve up that rubbish.
First game back at Metricon for the year. In reality it was a big night for the club, but they've ended up bombing badly. Assume less then 10k show up to the next home game tbh.

The AFL should stop chasing their sunk costs. The Suns are never going to work. Move them to Tassie or start a new time entirely with Dew as coach.

I’m all for a Tassie team; but I’m absolutely certain of the reason it won’t happen...

Players won’t live in Tassie.

The Suns were mismanaged so much. Their recruitment was terrible and their attempts to create a good culture even worse. This is not a reflection on the Gold Coast as a city and their ability to sustain an AFL club, this is entirely a reflection on the people the AFL employed to start the club.
The AFL didn't actually have much control over the Suns. The licence went to a private consortium. There are two clubs effectively under AFL administration, yours and ours. Even then the boards act independently but can be sacked at will.

The AFL didn't actually have much control over the Suns. The licence went to a private consortium. There are two clubs effectively under AFL administration, yours and ours. Even then the boards act independently but can be sacked at will.

Well whoever did the hiring stuffed up majorly as Scott Clayton was useless as all he did was recruit light players who were too easily bullied off the ball.

Then there was their coach and "captain" who let a terrible culture foster. McKenna seemed to just let everything slide and Ablett created his own religious clique within the Suns and isolated himself from everyone else. Not to mention Ablett fostered the idea that if you are not 100% fit then you are free to not give a s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well whoever did the hiring stuffed up majorly as Scott Clayton was useless as all he did was recruit light players who were too easily bullied off the ball.

Then there was their coach and "captain" who let a terrible culture foster. McKenna seemed to just let everything slide and Ablett created his own religious clique within the Suns and isolated himself from everyone else. Not to mention Ablett fostered the idea that if you are not 100% fit then you are free to not give a s**t.
Well I dont think that's right. I do think youngsters get bullied off the ball, ours did in the first couple of years.

I do think Ablett was a mistake, but not the reasons I think you're inventing. I just dont think he's a leader, and never has been. A marquee player at a new club who isn't is problematic. He is going to have a lot of influence.

In general I think new clubs need stability but I dont know enough about the details of the coaching to know if getting rid of McCenna was a good idea. Clearly Eade didn't do well.

It's hard to set up a new club from scratch and some missteps are probably inevitable. It's certainly hugely more risky than say any 5 year period at an established club, which is likely to have issues in that period, but wont face the myriad of decisions a new club will. The recruitment key personel, trusting them to form productive relationships, cascadibg slowly down as senior people recruit junior staff. Setting up infrastructure like training facilities etc etc

Far to early to give up on them. 17,000 is quite encouraging and it will be interesting to see how much their crowds improve when they become a good side, which like any side they will at some point.

Way more than Freo the Swans were a serious basket case in the early years in Sydney. Similar impatience would have seen the Swans disappear long ago. In truth they very nearly did, and probably should have.

I'm surprised you're keen to pass judgement so quickly, presumably you dont know much about the history of your own club.

Swans won 12 games in their first year in Sydney and by the mid 80s made the finals a few years in a row... coinciding with Capper at his peak.

Yes the swans in the early 90s were terrible but up until the late 80s Sydney were a decent side.

Swans won 12 games in their first year in Sydney and by the mid 80s made the finals a few years in a row... coinciding with Capper at his peak.

Yes the swans in the early 90s were terrible but up until the late 80s Sydney were a decent side.
Swans were South Melbourne playing their home games interstate initially. However it looked on the field it was a recipe for failure, which inevitably came.

I don't see how Adelaide is much more amazing than Hobart tbh.

It’s a hell of a lot warmer, for a start.

Have you been here since the Oval redevelopment?

We have player retention issues; both QLD sides have massive player retention issues (and living on the GC wouldn’t be a bad thing!), and GWS have player retention issues.

Honestly, I love Tassie, but can you see gun players happily living there, playing in front of relatively small crowds, without the massive external opportunities that a lot of AFL players get (which is, again, an issue for a lot of non Vic sides)?

We have player retention issues; both QLD sides have massive player retention issues (and living on the GC wouldn’t be a bad thing!), and GWS have player retention issues.

Honestly, I love Tassie, but can you see gun players happily living there, playing in front of relatively small crowds, without the massive external opportunities that a lot of AFL players get (which is, again, an issue for a lot of non Vic sides)?
Having lived in Adelaide, GC and northern NSW no way in hell I’d want to live in Tassie.

Geelong is the best comparison. They obviously have easy access to Melbourne but there's lots of similarities. The right kind of big name players will get national cut through no matter where they are playing and the middle tier of players will get plastered all over the local paper and smaller business stuff. Middle tier players at the smaller Vic clubs really struggle for any kind of exposure, Tassie players would do much better there. They'd lose some guys but a good team with country kid types will stick around. The bigger issue might not be the players but the wives and girlfriends.

The Titans are apparently sounding out Redcliffe currently, 30km North of Brisbane.
I live in Redcliffe, not far away from that stadium, and that's honestly the first I've heard of it. Never seen a Titans jumper around here either. Thanks for the info.

Would be fairly damning if a Gold Coast side relocated their ground to Redcliffe (which is part of Brisbane), reminds of the Bears playing at Carrara early on. Talk about desperate to escape.

A lot certainly rides on Dew coming through.

Even the Dockers and Cowboys started to come good after 9 and 10 seasons respectively. The Suns are currently in season 8, and reside in different circumstances. If Dew walks away after 4 years with the Suns still trapped in 11th-18th, then I fear for the club's future.

I know we suck as a team there’s no escaping that BUT our crowds are better than the on field successful GWS and what the On field successful North Melbourne and Hawthorn pull in Tasmania.

Junior Numbers are through the roof, it’s extraordinary. I’ve seen Rugby League schools become AFL schools or 50/50 both sports schools. The GC is going to become a significant provider of AFL players in just one generation.

So I know it’s easy to after a loss or two go into the whole Bermuda Triangle thing but the numbers are coming along ok.

By the way the Titans/Redcliffe thing was to show the QLD Govt they were serious about not putting up with their crap deal and I can report to you that it’s worked, the Titans have secured a better deal and the Suns need to do the same, the ticket costs are woeful.

Now I never veer off the GC Board as im told the Main Board is a horrific place but I’m doing it this once in the hope it enlightens one or two people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back