Club Focus Gold Coast 2020 - Atkins, Markov, Hollands

AFL Club Focus

Do they still need the pick 19 priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 84.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast club focus thread

Gold Coast received a lot of things for nothing (including Anderson) and they're still not finished with the gifts afforded to them.
Huge win for Geelong because one has to remember that it's not all about the player one may draft with that pick, but for the player they may gain via trade.

Giving away Martin for nothing was one of the all time stupid things I've seen from an AFL club.
Enough hot air to fill the Hindenburg, only for it to come crashing down and blow up in their faces.

Bit rich mate

Bit rich mate

Bit rich maybe. Very true definitely.

If it wasn't for the riches bestowed upon GC form the AFL, a talent like Martin being allowed to walk out the door for nothing would have been much more heavily scrutinised, so take the gifts out of the picture and you'll see why.

Where's the President beating his chest now? Nowhere to be seen.

If it wasn't for the riches bestowed upon GC form the AFL, a talent like Martin being allowed to walk out the door for nothing would have been much more heavily scrutinised, so take the gifts out of the picture and you'll see why.

You mean a lazy underachiever?

GC not bidding on Martin was a *wink wink* deal as part of the Flanders trade

GC not bidding on Martin was a *wink wink* deal as part of the Flanders trade

No. If that was to come about, it would have been done earlier.
It's clear to me that the CFC entered the draft with only the best intentions for the CFC. What happened thereafter had no connection to anything Martin.

So you agree he was worth a first rounder talent wise?

No. I thought that what the CFC offered up was fair in consideration......but no.....Cochrane had to go all 'hero' and that hero didn't pan out.

No. If that was to come about, it would have been done earlier.
It's clear to me that the CFC entered the draft with only the best intentions for the CFC. What happened thereafter had no connection to anything Martin.

No. I thought that what the CFC offered up was fair in consideration......but no.....Cochrane had to go all 'hero' and that hero didn't pan out.
3 million dollar player not worth a late first rounder.

That must be reserved for 4 million + contracts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what that’s got to do with anything, but if that’s all you’ve got then maybe Bay 13 is more your level.
Not sure what the Martin trade has to do with a thread about Gold Coast’s draft picks either but I suppose that’s OK if it’s taking potshots at the Suns and coming from a fellow Carlton poster???

Not sure what the Martin trade has to do with a thread about Gold Coast’s draft picks either but I suppose that’s OK if it’s taking potshots at the Suns and coming from a fellow Carlton poster???

You've clearly misunderstood the purpose of this thread.

As per all other club-specific threads, this one was started mid year and is designed to hold discussion relating to the Suns and their list management. That includes your draft picks, and it certainly includes the Jack Martin fiasco.

As always, if you've got an issue with a topic, post or poster, we're all ears if approached in the appropriate way.

He’s a 600k p/a player. So of similar value to a Greenwood or Ellis. Future 2nd was fine.
Greenwood is getting paid 350-400k for 3 years with a games trigger for the fourth (total 1.2-1.5million)
Martin is getting 600k for 5 years (3 million)

Not the same at all

Ellis was an unrestricted free agent - entirely different.

You've clearly misunderstood the purpose of this thread.

As per all other club-specific threads, this one was started mid year and is designed to hold discussion relating to the Suns and their list management. That includes your draft picks, and it certainly includes the Jack Martin fiasco.

As always, if you've got an issue with a topic, post or poster, we're all ears if approached in the appropriate way.
Perhaps change the title of the thread as it is misleading then. Simply “club focus- list management” should do it. And also scrutinise posts more carefully that seem to attack club presidents for no reason other than to score cheap shots.

The Suns list wasn’t in the best of shape prior to the past couple of drafts but they definitely aren’t short in talent anymore.

Ainsworth, Bowes, Weller, Ballard, Lukosius, Rankine, King, Rowell, Anderson, Flanders and Sharp is a really nice collection of talent complimented by experienced leaders who set a good example on the training track like Swallow, Witts and Ellis. I am confident the Suns will get it right this time and start to show improvement over the next three seasons.

I think they could follow a similar trajectory of the Lions from 2017-2019 over the next three seasons. In 2020 I think they’ll have another tough season and most likely finish 18th again, but their young players will show some really good signs and start to generate some excitement amongst the fan base. Then in 2021 with another pre season into all their young talent plus another number 1 draft pick on the list, I think they’ll show clear improvement in competitiveness/percentage but more than likely still struggle to get many wins, and likely finish bottom 5 again. Then come 2022 if all goes well I could see them start to climb the ladder and potentially play finals. Should be an exciting journey over the next three or so years for Suns fans. Dew and the clubs list management team are in a position to develop and recruit talent to set the club up for sustained success.

Jesus H Christopher this Jack Martin discussion gets tiresome.

Jeremias how many of your lot actually ever paid any attention to Martin before your team was linked to him?

Ya’ll watch all those late Sunday Suns games over the last 3 years hey?

The guy can play. But he’s also temperamental. At least at the Suns, once the season went south, he was.

At times he would run rampant, especially early in the season. Then once the losses mounted, he’d start playing at half pace, and only put in an effort if he saw a chance to shine.

Last year, once he broke his finger he mailed in the rest of the season. I said it then on the Suns board. That he’d unlikely play again, and just protect himself and move on at the end of the season.

To call the whole Jack Martin saga a fiasco is one eyed fandom in the extreme, because your lot was 50% responsible for creating the fiasco.

Sure back your lot, but don’t try and blame the Suns for the trade going south.

Your lot made the approach to Martin. It was on your lot to get a deal done that satisfied the Suns.

Looking purely at the contract offer made by your lot, Martin was worth a late first round pick. Your lot should have made a trade that satisfied the Suns.

Plenty of other clubs just get deals done at the end of the trade period. Your lot should of as well.

The Martin saga might have been a fiasco, but the making of it lays largely at SOS’s, and by extension Carlton’s, feet.

Jeremias how many of your lot actually ever paid any attention to Martin before your team was linked to him?

The guy can play. But he’s also temperamental. At least at the Suns, once the season went south, he was.

At times he would run rampant, especially early in the season. Then once the losses mounted, he’d start playing at half pace, and only put in an effort if he saw a chance to shine.

Last year, once he broke his finger he mailed in the rest of the season. I said it then on the Suns board. That he’d unlikely play again, and just protect himself and move on at the end of the season.

To call the whole Jack Martin saga a fiasco is one eyed fandom in the extreme, because your lot was 50% responsible for creating the fiasco.

Your lot made the approach to Martin. It was on your lot to get a deal done that satisfied the Suns.

Looking purely at the contract offer made by your lot, Martin was worth a late first round pick. Your lot should have made a trade that satisfied the Suns.

Plenty of other clubs just get deals done at the end of the trade period. Your lot should of as well.

The Martin saga might have been a fiasco, but the making of it lays largely at SOS’s, and by extension Carlton’s, feet.

Not once have I suggested the Suns are solely at fault for the Martin fiasco, or whatever you choose to call it. Carlton certainly had their part to play in it too.

I have watched the Suns plenty over the years, as I have every club, and have made my thoughts on Martin very clear. He is an immense talent, though wildly inconsistent.

We hope he finds that consistency at Carlton and realises his full potential, though it is not a fait accompli. Time will tell.

It’s up to Carlton to do a deal that satisfies Carlton and Jack. GC a distant third in our considerations, especially if they want to play nasty like they did.

We completed fair deals with Hawthorn, Essendon and Adelaide, and by all reports had great conversation with Sydney over Papley which all parties were happy with. Live traded with multiple clubs completing mutual beneficial deals. We have no problem trading fair.

The blame in the Martin “fiasco” sits with Cochrane only. Decided to take a “stand” against one of the only VIC clubs who hadn’t burnt him, over an uncontracted average player who had requested a trade twice. As amateur as it gets.

It’s up to Carlton to do a deal that satisfies Carlton and Jack. GC a distant third in our considerations, especially if they want to play nasty like they did.

We completed fair deals with Hawthorn, Essendon and Adelaide, and by all reports had great conversation with Sydney over Papley which all parties were happy with. Live traded with multiple clubs completing mutual beneficial deals. We have no problem trading fair.

The blame in the Martin “fiasco” sits with Cochrane only. Decided to take a “stand” against one of the only VIC clubs who hadn’t burnt him, over an uncontracted average player who had requested a trade twice. As amateur as it gets.
Seriously??!! I mean WTF? You honestly believe the Martin thing sits with Cochrane and Cochrane only? Surely trolling and if mods can’t see this they’re blind. This is what I mean by the earlier post. Martin is past history to us and now part of the Carlton list. Not sure of his relevance any more to a thread about the Suns list management. Might as well throw s**t at the Coch about the JOM and Ablett trades, which are about as relevant to us now as the Martin non-trade was.

Back