• Yep, GTFO

Votes: 129 63.9%
  • Nah, gun. Keep him in.

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Send him to the SANFL to find form

Votes: 61 30.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

"Totally his failing" lol. We don't know how much he rated or didn't rate them, and whether admin would have gone along with any proposed changes if they were made. We do know there were assistant coaches he wanted that they didn't stump up the cash for (Longmuir, Sumich) and it was pretty obvious they were running a bargain-bin footy department.

I'm willing to accept that Pyke has to wear some of the blame but there were failures at multiple levels. We had a dysfunctional admin, a footy department run by a moron and a weak line of assistant coaches. That's not all on Pyke.

He's the senior coach, he's independently wealthy, he doesn't need the money, he's hard nosed and driven to success. If he wasn't getting what he wanted, he should have walked. It was his judgement that what was in place could still get the job done. If he didn't think that, why would he remain?

He's the senior coach, he's independently wealthy, he doesn't need the money, he's hard nosed and driven to success. If he wasn't getting what he wanted, he should have walked. It was his judgement that what was in place could still get the job done. If he didn't think that, why would he remain?
When does this ever happen? Coaches are generally professionals who meet their obligations, not children who throw tantrums (exception being Chris Scott). I'm sure every coach in the league has people on their wish-list but they make the best with what they have.

You that low level that you think the only way that goes down is a tantrum followed by a walkout. Just keep flipping those burgers.
Back on ignore you go. Nothing of value lost.

Last edited:

Not true, poor this year and last.

He’s like Brent Reilly and Michael Doughty - his best football is at the end of his career.

I reckon he’s earnt spot in the 22 this season and last.

However, with a rebuild, I reckon his ideal position is as the medical sub. He’s professional enough to come on and impact when needed.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Further more Scorpus how do you compare Ross Lyon/Buckley to Chris Scott?

Chris Scott -
1 Flag
2 grand final seasons.
Finals - 9 wins - 13 losses 40.9%record.
Regular Season - 161 wins 62 losses 71.6%

Ross Lyon -
0 Flags
3 Grand Finals
Finals 9 wins - 10 losses 45%
Regular Season - 163 wins 118 losses 57.2%

Nathan Buckley -
0 flags
1 grand final
Finals - 5 wins 7 losses 41.7%
Regular Season - 110 wins 92 losses 53.9%

I would say that Lyon is a better coach despite Scott having a flag.
Have John Longmire in the same boat.

Are you a child? Yeah lets hang the guy for fulfilling his obligations like a professional instead of throwing a tantrum.

Actually if you don't think you can fulfil your obligations because of the conditions around your employment the professional thing to do is to walk away.

Actually if you don't think you can fulfil your obligations because of the conditions around your employment the professional thing to do is to walk away.
So administration serves him up a s**t sandwich and he's supposed to reward them by quitting and ensuring he doesn't get paid his dues? Wtf kind of fantasy world are you living in?

What's professional about cutting and running anyway? If a person makes a comittment they should stand by their word. Contracts not being worth the paper they are printed on is something that irks me about footy in general.

So administration serves him up a sh*t sandwich and he's supposed to reward them by quitting and ensuring he doesn't get paid his dues? Wtf kind of fantasy world are you living in?

What's professional about cutting and running anyway? If a person makes a comittment they should stand by their word. Contracts not being worth the paper they are printed on is something that irks me about footy in general.

So is it about him getting his due? or is it about standing by his commitment?

Because those are two differentmotivations and different arguments.

Both flawed, just in different ways. So I'm giving you the chance to get your story straight before I tell you why you're wrong.

No Don Pyke absolutely deserves that tag. Look at the state he (and others) left us in. Ending up so toxic that we needed to hard reset.

Good coach, but ultimately his tenure is a failure.

Nah,I reckon it was time for the hard reset prior to Walsh. Wasnt that part of the appeal with Walsh, and why we targeted him?
The culture was toxic before then and continued right through to at the very least the review.

In my opinion, Pyke did exceptionally well all things considered. I don't think you can lay much blame on Pyke in regard to our toxic culture, especially given the hand he had to work with.

Nicks is doing himself a disservice. Next season we should be aiming for finals. If not why aim at a rebuild. Playing MacKay and similar is denying getting games into the kids. I can see Nick getting the flick and its his own fault.

So is it about him getting his due? or is it about standing by his commitment?

Because those are two differentmotivations and different arguments.

Both flawed, just in different ways. So I'm giving you the chance to get your story straight before I tell you why you're wrong.
I think a coach should stand behind their commitment no matter what. Administration have the right to pull the plug early if they want but they'll still have to meet their financial obligations. That seems fair to me. Contracts exist to protect both parties.

Your argument seems to be that Pyke should have done admins work for them and quit because he knew he couldn't fulfill his role in that environment. Putting aside the fact this is an assumption and we don't actually know what Pyke was thinking, when do coaches ever walk in this industry? Doing so is potentially harmful to a coaches reputation and it's financially punitive. Most of the time they stay in their roles until they're sacked and once in a blue moon you might get a Ross Lyon who gets a massive offer and bails for that reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost forget. That was right up there. Career lowlight.

Somehow we butchered sufficiently overall so that it just sunk into the mire.

might as well paste it over here.. thanks to whoever it was that created it..

View attachment 1147592
watching it.. its actually incredible he managed to keep that ball in.. he’s a genius that young david..

I’ve always wondered if his wife is embarrassed when she watches him play..

might as well paste it over here.. thanks to whoever it was that created it..

View attachment 1147592
As I posted on the other thread, this sums up his career.

Enough already selection committee as this has become beyond a joke.

We are in a rebuild & we are selecting a fringe experienced player who offers little more than a newish player.

I think we need to understand the hold Mackay has over the club.
Bickley has been talking him up every time he is on radio. Today they had a special on his 'experience' on the Crows show.
We then moved Sholl to the half forward flank to accomodate him. We moved Sholl, one of our most promising young players to the 'dead man walking' role, to accomodate Mackay and his crucial 10 disposals.

It is absolutely bizarre.

I think we need to understand the hold Mackay has over the club.
Bickley has been talking him up every time he is on radio. Today they had a special on his 'experience' on the Crows show.
We then moved Sholl to the half forward flank to accomodate him. We moved Sholl, one of our most promising young players to the 'dead man walking' role, to accomodate Mackay and his crucial 10 disposals.

It is absolutely bizarre.

It's hilarious that we'd push a wingman who averaged 20+ disposals this year to half forward so we can accommoapdate a 15 touch wingman. Totally absurd, but that's Matthew Nicks for you.

Back