Votes: 129 63.9%
  • Nah, gun. Keep him in.

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Send him to the SANFL to find form

Votes: 61 30.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He was pretty good today.

You take your fun facts way too seriously.

Fun Fact: DMac > Judd
I dont.

He said it was obvious Judd was injured given he didnt vote.

He still played 8 games that year. A player of his elite quality and likely Hall of Famer, should have been among the votes.

First half only

But what does he actually offer the club in a rebuild phase?

Very little is the answer

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mackay genuinely offers a lot to a rebuild, if we play him as a sub for every week for the rest of the season. It's a role made for those players who are one year of a delisting/retirement. There is no development there for kids in the sub, it's not a tactical role because no tactic starts with "boy I hope one of our players get injured", it's literally just a negative for anyone stuck with it.

Beyond that, he doesn't.

I dont.

He said it was obvious Judd was injured given he didnt vote.

He still played 8 games that year. A player of his elite quality and likely Hall of Famer, should have been among the votes.
DMac and Judd got the same number of votes in that year. It's a fun fact and obviously has some caveats that explain that absurdity.

Mackay genuinely offers a lot to a rebuild, if we play him as a sub for every week for the rest of the season. It's a role made for those players who are one year of a delisting/retirement. There is no development there for kids in the sub, it's not a tactical role because no tactic starts with "boy I hope one of our players get injured", it's literally just a negative for anyone stuck with it.

Beyond that, he doesn't.
With limited rotations having a body used to the grind is handy. Leaves the rotations for the younger kids.

Beyond that, he doesn't.
I would still rather play a young player as a sub as long as its not the players debut game

Beyond that, he doesn't.
With limited rotations having a body used to the grind is handy. Leaves the rotations for the younger kids.

Agree
100% endeavor and amazingly durable
Ideal Medical Sub

Agree
100% endeavor and amazingly durable
Ideal Medical Sub
I think the 3-1 start we had made it slightly more confusing on how to approach the season - are we going for a full-tilt Finals contending mindset? Or are we aiming to get more games in the kids and forget about Finals? With differing approaches, I think our use of the Sub might be different also.

Now with the 2 consecutive losses, I think it’s starting to be more clear which approach we should be leaning on more. And FWIW, I think Mackay would serve us well rotating between Med Sub and SANFL games. His AFL experience, preparation and leadership would still be very handy at SANFL matches for the younger blokes to aspire to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the 3-1 start we had made it slightly more confusing on how to approach the season - are we going for a full-tilt Finals contending mindset? Or are we aiming to get more games in the kids and forget about Finals? With differing approaches, I think our use of the Sub might be different also.

Now with the 2 consecutive losses, I think it’s starting to be more clear which approach we should be leaning on more. And FWIW, I think Mackay would serve us well rotating between Med Sub and SANFL games. His AFL experience, preparation and leadership would still be very handy at SANFL matches for the younger blokes to aspire to.

3 losses isn't it? A professional outfit wouldn't have been deluded enough to change course just because we picked up 2 extremely ordinary wins and one very unexpected. But a couple of weeks later the Cats win was looking not that great either. Reality is that we are only ever about selecting for the now, there isn't an ounce of short term pain strategy at the selection table.

3 losses isn't it? A professional outfit wouldn't have been deluded enough to change course just because we picked up 2 extremely ordinary wins and one very unexpected. But a couple of weeks later the Cats win was looking not that great either. Reality is that we are only ever about selecting for the now, there isn't an ounce of short term pain strategy at the selection table.
Yeah, 3 losses. I completely missed yesterday’s game and by all reports, I’m sorta glad!

I said at the time I was worried the club would get deluded into thinking we were a finals chance and take the eye off the ball and it's come true.

I said at the time I was worried the club would get deluded into thinking we were a finals chance and take the eye off the ball and it's come true.
“Deluded” is a bit harsh. There was clear evidence we’ve improved from last season, but we just didn’t know how far it’d take us with that small sample size in our first 4 games. Then there were 2 narrow losses against Freo and Hawks and if we ended with 5-2 start, it’d be even more murky how we should approach the rest of the season!
Then you also have our 2 best midfielders out in the recent weeks, so the results lately aren’t really surprising.

“Deluded” is a bit harsh. There was clear evidence we’ve improved from last season, but we just didn’t know how far it’d take us with that small sample size in our first 4 games. Then there were 2 narrow losses against Freo and Hawks and if we ended with 5-2 start, it’d be even more murky how we should approach the rest of the season!
Then you also have our 2 best midfielders out in the recent weeks, so the results lately aren’t really surprising.

It's not harsh though, the club have a proven track record of refusing to rebuild properly and staying 'competitive'. It's got us nowhere over the last 20 odd years.

Do it right and do it properly.

It's not harsh though, the club have a proven track record of refusing to rebuild properly and staying 'competitive'. It's got us nowhere over the last 20 odd years.

Do it right and do it properly.
I don't disagree. The big question is then "what is rebuilding properly?"

I would still rather play a young player as a sub as long as its not the players debut game

Absolutely not. It is always preferable that a young player plays SANFL over sitting on the bench in the AFL. We need them presenting their case as to why they should be selected, and to do so, you need to actually be playing the game.

We got lucky that no one got injured, which allowed Fog to go back to the SANFL and to restart making a case to be brought back. Gets 10-15% of game time in the 1s, and it's a disaster.

Absolutely not. It is always preferable that a young player plays SANFL over sitting on the bench in the AFL. We need them presenting their case as to why they should be selected, and to do so, you need to actually be playing the game.

We got lucky that no one got injured, which allowed Fog to go back to the SANFL and to restart making a case to be brought back. Gets 10-15% of game time in the 1s, and it's a disaster.
It's only a disaster if it's a continuing trend for Fog to be a Sub. If it's a one-off, I don't see a problem with it. Also it is very much a pot luck scenario. Someone could have been injured early in the first quarter, so a Sub could be activated and basically play out like a starting 22. Injuries occur at random times, not always at the end of matches.

Back