Tertiary and Continuing Golden Key Society

Have any folks had experience with this organization?

It's a big load of wank IMO. I got a few offers to join them when I was at university, but never saw the point. I knew the bloke who ran the Tasmanian chapter of it (or something similar), and there were always big things "in the works" but I never saw them do anything.

Have any folks had experience with this organization?
Yeah, I was signed up once. When they reach out to you, they make you feel like a 160 IQ super genius but the entry level isn't much more than doing good on a few semesters of course work.

They they invite you to a heap of supposedly exclusive events with supposedly like-minded people, which you have to pay to attend, for the purpose of bullshit like networking and other crap.

Basically their entire purpose is to transfer money from your pocket to their pocket. Don't waste your time with them.

It's a sham. Most the people that sign up to it these days are the exact people you'd expect to too.
The saddest is thing is when I see people list membership with them on their resume or LinkedIn profile.
Especially when if you really wanted to include it you could just save $150 and say you received an invitation to join/letter of eligibility etc. If employers even care, let alone know what it is, it essentially means the same thing, but you don't waste time or money.

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Basically their entire purpose is to transfer money from your pocket to their pocket. Don't waste your time with them.

Sounds just like the multi level marketing scams. I thought uni students would be too smart to fall for this s**t.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It's a sham. Most the people that sign up to it these days are the exact people you'd expect to too.

Especially when if you really wanted to include it you could just save $150 and say you received an invitation to join/letter of eligibility etc. If employers even care, let alone know what it is, it essentially means the same thing, but you don't waste time or money.
I suppose so. I received an invitation at a point when I didn't think my uni marks were anything better than just okay, so found it hard to take it seriously or attribute any sort of prestige to it. To me, then, it wouldn't say much about academic achievement other than that you didn't just scrape by to get the degree, and if I cared about academic performance to the extent that I cared about a GK Society offer, I'd probably be better off just asking for transcripts.

I suppose so. I received an invitation at a point when I didn't think my uni marks were anything better than just okay, so found it hard to take it seriously or attribute any sort of prestige to it. To me, then, it wouldn't say much about academic achievement other than that you didn't just scrape by to get the degree, and if I cared about academic performance to the extent that I cared about a GK Society offer, I'd probably be better off just asking for transcripts.
Oh don't get me wrong, I agree. I received an offer to join twice. Certainly won't be going out of my way to tell employers about it though. My point was more so for people that do attach some level of prestige to it.

I wonder if it's always been top 15%. Also wonder if we'll see it become top 20% or 25% as people become more conscious of it being a sham.

Don't think stuff like this needs to be on your resume anyway, even as a graduate. Same as putting on things like "captained the Woop Woop 2s - 2014" or "dux of year 9"
What a stupid comparison.

There was only 1 captain in the 2014 Woop Woop 2s, not the top 15% of the team. Much more prestigious.

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Queensland State of Origin
Might as well say you went to the Fyre Festival.

If you’re even considering this it shows you’re a middle of the road plonker with similar insecurities as a fyre festival attendee

Back