Golden Point - worst way to decide a GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree golden goal rule ....play the extra ten minutes ...5 each way

Then next goal wins ...the wind isn’t a factor at mcg so which way teams go isn’t factor ...but maybe after the extra ten minutes you toss the coin To decide which end you kick too

But in theory ....hmmm a team could kick could kick 7 points ...then other team kicks one goal they win ....is everyone comfortable with the team losing yet kicking a higher score ...unlikely but could happen

Agree golden goal rule ....play the extra ten minutes ...5 each way

Then next goal wins ...the wind isn’t a factor at mcg so which way teams go isn’t factor ...but maybe after the extra ten minutes you toss the coin To decide which end you kick too

But in theory ....hmmm a team could kick could kick 7 points ...then other team kicks one goal they win ....is everyone comfortable with the team losing yet kicking a higher score ...unlikely but could happen

Golden 6... first to score 6 or more pts wins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They would have had an extra 10 minutes before golden point mattered

The goal by Sheed was clutch but I'd rather keep going for the result than come back next week
Doesn’t need to have a replay, keep going 5 mins each end until there’s a winner.
Not hard really. Can’t have a grand final decided by a rushed behind.

I agree Golden point is stupid. You just add another extra time period if the first one is a draw. People are kidding themselves if they think it's just going to continue in perpetuity - this isn't soccer or tennis.

Judging by some of the replies I don't think everyone understands what the current rule is

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-19/no-more-grand-final-replays

If at the end of the fourth quarter socres are tied there is a short break.
Then two 5 minute halves are played. The first 5 with teams kicking to the same end as the fourth quarter, the ends swap for the second 5 minutes.

Teams get 15 interchanges to use over the 10 extra minutes of footy and there is no break between halves other than the time to swap ends and bounce the ball.

If at the end of the 10 minutes the two teams are tied then it goes to next score wins.

I'd have thought extra time until people start keeling over and dying. Have longer breaks between 'quarters' if you have to.

No, any 'shootout' format is worse and does not fit our game at all. A golden goal format that invalidates behinds would also be worse. :thumbsdown:

If someone rushes a point with 2 seconds left in the fourth quarter to decide a game that's a win. Why does that rule have to change if it's after the fourth quarter?

Indeed. How is it happening in extended extra time any different (or worse) than this near miss from Burton last year:

People going out of their minds over rushed behinds, even though to score one you need to move the ball to within 15m of your goal (and successfully knock it through) it's far more likely for a shot from 25m+ to break the deadlock, and it's not like such a thing hasn't decided many games over the course of football history.

The only 'golden point' result we have played out in this way:

Should be "Golden 6".

The first to 6 (or more points) wins.

This would heavily favor a "golden goal" over a "golden point" (last of 6 behinds) to win the game, even though the latter is possible too.

I don't hate golden point as it exists currently, but would not mind this idea as an alternative. :thumbsu:

Could do it for the home and away season to eliminate draws (no extra time, just straight to "Golden 6"). Scores during "Golden 6" don't count towards a side's percentage, only to determine who gets the win.

There's no need to eliminate draws, they're a perfectly legitimate result in the H&A season.

The Pies v Saints replay was a fizzer, not to mention the fans that missed out on seeing the result live because they couldn't afford or get tickets next week.

Imagine if it was a draw and West Coast fans had to fly over and pay for accommodation again. **** that, finish it on the day.

If someone rushes a point with 2 seconds left in the fourth quarter to decide a game that's a win. Why does that rule have to change if it's after the fourth quarter?

What if there is a 6 goal breeze? Who gets to kick with the breeze during the period that they're playing for the golden point? Two 5 minute halves is the fairest way to break the deadlock. And if the score is still tied, you go again, maybe make it 2 x 2 minute halves.

What if there is a 6 goal breeze? Who gets to kick with the breeze during the period that they're playing for the golden point? Two 5 minute halves is the fairest way to break the deadlock. And if the score is still tied, you go again, maybe make it 2 x 2 minute halves.
If there is a breeze then too bad, if you couldn't win it during the first four quarters and extra time that's your bad luck

If there is a breeze then too bad, if you couldn't win it during the first four quarters and extra time that's your bad luck

So you think it is ok that a team is eliminated simply due to bad luck? Right, got it. There was also another team that could not win after the first 4 qtrs and extra time, and yet they get the 6 goal breeze all to itself during the period of the golden point. Hardly seems fair.

Yeah i didn't really explain my view.

For me, the difference between extra time and a replay is marginal .. i would be happy with either.

I favor the replay because i think 4 quarters is 4 quarters... that is the game... that is your chance to win. If you can't win, replay it.

Extra time is also good... as long as it is at least 10 minutes and the scoreboard decides the result. No golden goal or point.

Re the replay... i think one benefit is the fans end up filling the stands the next week. Not the corporates. The negative is the injury toll... Hawks wouldn't have won a 1989 replay... but we also would not have won 5 minutes of extra time either.

I see why people don't like the replay... but i am stuck thinking that when the siren sounds it is a draw = a draw.

Anything but a golden point.
It wouldnt be fair on the travelling side. Especially if the interstate side finished higher

So you think it is ok that a team is eliminated simply due to bad luck? Right, got it. There was also another team that could not win after the first 4 qtrs and extra time, and yet they get the 6 goal breeze all to itself during the period of the golden point. Hardly seems fair.
Life isn't fair, it's a competitive sport, luck is part of life

Remove this Banner Ad

Back