Golden State Warriors thread - All Star 5

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
HB is the big one for me. I thought he was going to breakout this year, and like Festus he started the year well then got injured and lost the plot completely. If he can be the player he was early in the year consistently then great, but financially I'm not sure the numbers add up.

Not quite sure which stage of grief I am up to...but in processing this and trying to think where it all went wrong, I haven't even considered Barnes output, such is his anonymity.

The amount of money he will make this off season sickens me.

Anger, I must still be in anger.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Having had a bit more time to digest it I really hope management don't overreact.

We lost in Game 7 of the NBA Finals by 4 points.

To lose the Finals the following happened...

• LeBron played maybe the GOAT Finals series
  • Outside the first two games Irving played out of his skin
  • Barnes had the worst stretch of games in his career (35% from the field, 31% from deep and 60% from the line)
  • Bogut got injured and then the other Warrior big men forgot how to play basketball
  • Green got suspended
  • Curry played horrible outside one game (40% from the field and more turnovers than assists)
  • Curry likely injured.
  • Iggy probably not 100% fit (though looked okay in Game 7)
  • Thompson, after being a top 2 player in the playoffs before the finals series, did not turn up (42% from the field and 35% from deep)
  • Kerr made some poor decisions as a coach for maybe the first time in his (short) career
All that and we lost by 4 points in Game 7.

The Warriors were so much better than every other team all that happened and we did everything but win it all.

No dramatic changes needed.

Everyone is pretty young.

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
y5bQ6EZ.gif

footy75

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
wtf was that pass Curry, I mean that is way to casual considering the gravity of the situation.

I've watched that last quarter a few times and u just think GSW have it...not if but when...

Right up till Kyrie scored that 3 with a 1.10 left it looks like GSW have it. Unfortunately I think the problem is they did too.

Talk about a massive opportunity blown. Still cant believe it they coudn't win 1 out of last 3.

One of the biggest choke efforts is sport ever.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Am I the only one that accepts the missed pass?

That's Curry.

Should he have done it.

Nope.

But he also shouldn't shoot from 10 foot behind the 3 point line either.

Gotta take the good with the bad, as frustrating and sick to the stomach that I still feel about it.

Nov 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool | Golden State Warriors
The look on Klay's face is priceless.

I've done some extensive post mortem reading, with consensus as follows:

1. Most are happy to let Barnes and Ezeli go, and for us to re-tool with their cap space saved
2. Some also happy to let Bogut go if we need cap space to manufacture a 'mega-deal', but a significant number would like him to stay and think he is absolutely integral to both defence and offence.
3. The acquisition wish list is: A) Kevin Durant; B) Al Horford; C) Nic Batum; D) A bunch of other PFs who can shoot the 3 to help out Dray
4. Varejao can GTFO.
5. Most are really keen for Iggy, Livingston, Barbosa, Speights and Clark to hang around.
6. Lot of enthusiasm about Rush and Looney (if he can get his body right).

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think anyone cares too much about Rush. If he's there, good, if not, doesn't really matter.

He'll get offered more elsewhere probably.

I just can't see Bogut going anywhere. No one else will want him for that price.

If Barnes returns for 10-12M a year. Great. He is still a really good player.

mitchzz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
I hope we keep Bogut. He really is the perfect centre for this team - great passer (can run plays through him), great screen setter, protects the paint, doesn't take shots away from Steph/Klay, doesn't play heavy minutes (allows for small death lineup).

I let my emotions get to me in the Finals and was very harsh on HB :p Wouldn't mind us keeping him like fidstar said, but if he demanding a lot then i'm sure we could find a nice 3 and D guess elsewhere

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Sooo...Durant, Dirk, Pau, Horford, Noah, Dwight, Whiteside, Batum...bit of a circus.

Plan A looks to be Durant. Bit harder to read what plan B is when he likely re-signs with the Thunder.

So many permutations to consider.

I think Barnes stays unless we land Durant. A combination of the market cooling on the back of his post season, and the reality that his ability to defend multiple positions is important to the Warriors, particularly the death squad. Batum would give us better all round play, and slot in perfectly in terms of being a ball mover, but he can't defend the 4. Marvin Williams another option, though he likely doesn't take a lot less than Barnes. Of course we have a pretty handy SF on the bench too.

I think Dirk is a pipe dream. If Mavs can land Conley which looks likely, and Dwight or Whiteside, they have enough to keep Dirk's mind from wandering north.

Pau has potential especially with the Bulls front office trading Rose and listening to offers on Butler. Not the look of a FO planning a deep playoffs run anytime soon. Though if we secure Pau, and Festus leaving is a given, we still lack a big with the ability to defend out to mid range and beyond.

Al Horford has that range as a defender. Can play 4/5, can hit the tree (attempted more threes than Barnes last season!). We re-instate Iggy to the starting 5, Bogut checks in off the bench. Could run a lot of different front court line-ups between Al, Dray and Bogut. Could we get Al for Klay/Dray kind of money? Miami would have interest with Bosh's waning health and Whiteside potentially on the move.

Can't see Whiteside as any sort of fit. Noah looks like he is getting paid big time. Dwight will land in Dallas or New York. Perhaps Biyombo get's a look in if the FO are down on Bogut.

Looney and Jones are non factors for the off season. Going to be hard to flesh out a bench if we are carrying those two guys into the season.

Last edited:
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think Dirk is a good fit for us. He can obviously still score, but he can't defend. Also Warriors are young, so they don't really want a guy that only has a season or two left.

I don't really want any changes, though understand why they are chasing more talent. We already have an awesome team. We won 73 games and are still pretty young. I don't think we were "found out" during the finals. We just had a form slump (every team has them) at the wrong time of year.

May 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
So, have you guys moved on? I still can't believe we didn't win it all after the season we had. Still feel like s**t!

I've only ever felt like this once after a sporting event - the Eagles loss in 2005.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
Same. I have seen highlights of the rest of the season though. Steph looked like two different guys. Still really surprised nothing has come out about an injury.

Steph didn't steph. He looked pretty average all playoffs after the knee. A few bursts here and there but nothing like the regular season.

Back