Analysis Goldsack, Blair, Toovey and Macaffer. Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Blair was dropped for poor form which was good to see but I can see Macaffer (not because I like him, I have supported both) as one who will be challenging based on his last few games in the VFL.

I also liked what I saw of Caff late season, but I am wary on how it translates for 2016 because 20-25ppg is more the minimum at that level when running through the midfield. For Caff it is almost completely dependent on the role he's given.

I'd personally use him as medium defender cover for Scharenberg or as an inside-out mid if he can add that outside element to his game. I can't see him getting back into the forward half because I think he'll struggle to get separation on his opponent plus Swan appears to be earmarked for those forward minutes.

One thing though his return from injury does offset the list cull we may or may not currently be in the midst of because he's effectively a new recruit in 2016 regardless of his best 22 or depth status.

This is half the issue with selections, Hawthorn were dropping Sewell and Mitchell last year and other players when needed creating a lot of competition for spots. However week in week our repeat poor performances are never punished.
Your point may be correct but choice of Mitchell I think a bad example given he was out for 2 months with a serious hamstring injury and only other matches he missed were rounds 2 &19. Round 2 may have been form related given he only got 21 disposals against the Lions but given Rockliff got a week for rough conduct against Mitchell I suspect it was more a niggle or concussion? Round 19 I'd think was probably resting rather than dropped given his 32 disposal, 1 brownlow vote the week before. For the year he averaged 28 disposals in spite of only getting 4 in the game he was injured - not the sort of stats likely to see him dropped, especially when he also provides leadership & experience.

These guys will be handy depth, but none of them should get regular games ahead of Broomhead, De Goey, Marsh, Scharenberg, Maynard, Ramsay. If they do, they'll just be stopping their development and the development of the team.

Goldsack, Blair, Toovey and Maccaffer will always be bottom six players. Play players who'll have the potential to be best 10 on our list and improve us moving forward whilst we keep these 4 as handy depth.

Blair guaranteed his spot going by the man love the great man is showing him at Pendles wedding.. looks like they attended as a couple :eek:

2cg2ele.jpg

And what's the action going on downstairs Bucks?

Goldsack, Blair, Toovey and Maccaffer will always be bottom six players. Play players who'll have the potential to be best 10 on our list and improve us moving forward whilst we keep these 4 as handy depth.

2010: Fraser O'Bree Lockyer Medhurst

2010: Fraser O'Bree Lockyer Medhurst
Fraser, Lockyer and Medhirst all were best ten (and I'd actually suggest five for Tarks and Fraser) players in their time at the Pies and were ousted because they physically weren't up to it, so not sure that's exactly the same.

Fraser, Lockyer and Medhirst all were best ten (and I'd actually suggest five for Tarks and Fraser) players in their time at the Pies and were ousted because they physically weren't up to it, so not sure that's exactly the same.
I would have thought exactly the same, players that had been regular senior players right up until halfway through that season in some cases and overtaken by younger players to become depth if we had needed it during those finals

If they are playing well, can't afford to throw experience out the window to give youth a run.
Out of the three, Blair's position is the most fragile, followed by Goldsack then Macaffer I would think.

I suppose it will depend on the set up, opposition and assuming the game plan changes as to the make up of the team.

We look like building for speed, flexibility and hopefully skills.

I also liked what I saw of Caff late season, but I am wary on how it translates for 2016 because 20-25ppg is more the minimum at that level when running through the midfield. For Caff it is almost completely dependent on the role he's given.

I'd personally use him as medium defender cover for Scharenberg or as an inside-out mid if he can add that outside element to his game. I can't see him getting back into the forward half because I think he'll struggle to get separation on his opponent plus Swan appears to be earmarked for those forward minutes.

One thing though his return from injury does offset the list cull we may or may not currently be in the midst of because he's effectively a new recruit in 2016 regardless of his best 22 or depth status.

I didnt understand any of the technical stuff. I did get a little squeamish when I pictured Caff inside-out.

If this quartet are not playing seniors (assuming all are fully fit) then that will mean the next group have moved past them, that will be a great sign i suggest.

I think most would agree one maybe two will get games here and there, maybe continuously, but if all four are regulars then it would likely mean we have many many injuries; we have stagnated; booking holidays in late September should not be fraught with danger.

Blair because of size looks most vulnerable, the life of a short afl player

Last edited:
I would imagine Blair isn’t retiring given we haven’t heard anything - which means he’ll probably (almost certainly) be delisted instead.

Bizarre that of the quartet it’s Goldsack that seems to be the only one placed to continue a fourth year beyond this thread’s creation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would imagine Blair isn’t retiring given we haven’t heard anything - which means he’ll probably (almost certainly) be delisted instead.

Bizarre that of the quartet it’s Goldsack that seems to be the only one placed to continue a fourth year beyond this thread’s creation.
Actually it’s a credit to him.
Heart and soul player.

Truthfully he should be surpassed by now but his incredible endeavour has kept on keeping for him.

My guess is that he'd like to play on somewhere and is hoping that he can get a trade to a club at the end of the trade period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back