Analysis Goldsack, Blair, Toovey and Macaffer. Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would hope as the year progresses that these players become depth only as the young guns coming through begin to take their spot in the 22, it reminds me very much of the period of 09-10 when the likes of medhurst, Lockyer, obree and Fraser were overtaken by the young fellas that took us to the ultimate in 2010. It is promising times if this begins to happen in 2016.

They would all be on their final contract with the club apart from maybe Blair. Goldsack and Caff should be purely depth next year. Have a feeling that Toovey may start in the best 22 of he has a good preseason, but really he should be depth and they should make the decision to play Scharenberg, Marsh, Ramsay and Maynard along with Williams, Brown and Frost.

Blair of the four is the most likely to keep his spot in the 22. Clearly the match committee like what he brings and while I don't think he will be ever be secure in the 22, I'll be surprised if he doesn't play in multiple games next year. Broomhead and Fasolo should stay ahead of him, but it isn't a lock that that they will.

What's interesting is that I also can't see where Seedsman or Kennedy get a game. Seedsman is apparently looking for a new home somewhere. Should Kennedy be doing the same?

Medhurst, Lockyer, O'Bree and Fraser were far better players than those four.

I think none of Goldsack, Macaffer, Blair or Toovey are best 22 any longer. But you rarely field your best 22 and I think all will feature. Goldsack will get games with his versatility in particular. I also like Caff on a match up basis if we need a dedicated tagger against a better midfield.

Also like your Ramsay selection. I'd query his selection on injury history only. He was defensively our best back pocket this season. Fits our age profile and while doesn't win a lot, uses it well when he wins it. I think our defense balances better with him.

I feel sorry for Caff, he was playing his role so well but since he's been injured we've added Greenwood, Crisp and De Goey to our midfield and will soon be adding Treloar to that list. There's always the possibility he can go back to the forward line but I don't see who comes out to make that happen either.

If offered a new contract after 2016, it will be a small one $$ wise for Toovey. Can't see Goldy going beyond 2017 with us.

I feel sorry for Caff, he was playing his role so well but since he's been injured we've added Greenwood, Crisp and De Goey to our midfield and will soon be adding Treloar to that list. There's always the possibility he can go back to the forward line but I don't see who comes out to make that happen either.
I'd say Caff and Blair will be fighting for the same spot. Both bring different strengths to the side.

If offered a new contract after 2016, it will be a small one $$ wise for Toovey. Can't see Goldy going beyond 2017 with us.
Have to say that re-contracting Goldsack at the end of 2014 was an error on both sides. Reportedly Port offered him 400k a year for three years. Supposedly he took much less to stay with us (300k) for three years, but ended up in the VFL and seemingly likely to struggle for a spot half through the first year of his current deal.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...om-port-adelaide/story-fni5f6hd-1227041355579

To the VFL

I hope...

Only Caff to stay for me...always liked him and he's had a wretched run...premiership player!

The others....thanks and all the best for your service.

Have to say that re-contracting Goldsack at the end of 2014 was an error on both sides. Reportedly Port offered him 400k a year for three years. Supposedly he took much less to stay with us (300k) for three years, but ended up in the VFL and seemingly likely to struggle for a spot half through the first year of his current deal.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...om-port-adelaide/story-fni5f6hd-1227041355579
I was happy to trade him. Was at that stage where we could of got our best return out of him. Opposition teams like his attack on the ball desperation, but they don't see the constant fumble and turnovers

Should have traded a couple of these guys in 2011, when their value was high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got Goldsack ahead of Blair. Purely for tackling effort of Goldsack . They stick and they hurt. How many of our tackles were actually paid ? All good and well all those pressure acts but if they can shrug them off it is a waste of energy.

Whilst on a study break I got to thinking about our list make up and best 22 for 2016 and beyond. Everything going to plan my best 22 ATM is shown below:

B: Ramsay, Brown, Williams
HB: Langdon, Reid, Scharenberg
C: Sidebottom, Treloar, Crisp
HF: Broomhead, Cloke, Swan
F: Elliott, Moore, Fasolo
R: Grundy, Pendlebury, Adams
Into: JDG, Greenwood, White, Varcoe

We'll lose soldiers along the way and some of them are interchangeable (such as White for Maynard if the defender is preferred to a forward), but in putting that team together the only player of the 4 in the thread title I considered was Goldsack for his positional flexibility. Yes he's a jack of all trades master of none, but he's a competitor, with speed and is a solid role player.

Our list is in a good place through the 23-27 bracket with Pendles, Reid, Brown, Greenwood, Sidebottom, Fasolo, Elliott, White and Varcoe in that 22 from that age group so playing them for their maturity isn't a priority.

Therefore my questions are what do they need to do to become best 22 relevant moving forward? Can any of them reinvent their games ala Leon (not necessarily to that extent)?

It appears, to me at least, that they're now a long way back so I'm interested to see how it plays out in 2016. Unfortunately despite all 4 being premiership players the end could come quickly...
Sinkers?

I'd be pretty happy if we were able to get a packet of chicken twisties for Tooves at this stage.

In the 22-30 bracket for mine along with Witts, Kennedy, Maynard, Frost, Oxley, Goldsack and Marsh. Basically in the mix, but not someone I consider automatic best 22.

What happened to Toovey this season? He used to be such a reliable shut down defender. He had some shocking games this year.

Is he struggling with the zone defense?

He lost a yard, IMO. With the zone defence he could previous sag off that extra metre and make up for it with his closing speed. I don't think he adjusted quick enough. The strange thing is that it seemed to happen in-season because up to Queens Birthday he seemed solid, but Garlett getting out the back the way he did that day rammed it home to me personally.

FWIW that's my query on Langdon too. He tends to sag off which can work if the ball movement is slow further afield and that also brings his intercept marking into play, but he gets caught out badly when our midfield gets opened up whereas a guy like Marsh will still hold up in a circumstance like that.

Goldsack is still in our best side.
His kick in work has been very good this year. He has range in his kicks and penetration too.

Blair should be on the cusp but not a regular.

Toovey and Macaffer should be VFL only if we are serious.

In the 22-30 bracket for mine along with Witts, Kennedy, Maynard, Frost, Oxley, Goldsack and Marsh. Basically in the mix, but not someone I consider automatic best 22.

He lost a yard, IMO. With the zone defence he could previous sag off that extra metre and make up for it with his closing speed. I don't think he adjusted quick enough. The strange thing is that it seemed to happen in-season because up to Queens Birthday he seemed solid, but Garlett getting out the back the way he did that day rammed it home to me personally.

FWIW that's my query on Langdon too. He tends to sag off which can work if the ball movement is slow further afield and that also brings his intercept marking into play, but he gets caught out badly when our midfield gets opened up whereas a guy like Marsh will still hold up in a circumstance like that.

Langdon will get away with it because he will rarely be playing on the oppositions best forwards which allows him to utilise the stronger aspects of his game, whereas the only thing Toovey was ever good at was stopping a dangerous forward and now he can't.

would have goldy over blair, toovey earlier in the was good but got a knock to the knee and
his form went down hill from there and by the end of next year been past by others.
caff could do his old job in the forward line if the faz looses form, but in all likely hood
by end of 2016 all will be in the vfl if the younger players come on like we hope

If Blair, Caff, Toovey & Goldsack were in our best 22 by the end of 2016, I'd be pretty disappointed. I like all 4, think they have been great servants of the club, but we have players who really should be overtaking them. All 4 are great to have for depth. I hope they stay beyond next year. They are have deficiencies in their skillset but you can't ever question their effort. I want our young players to learn that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back