Rumour Goldsack to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

nah, there was something in the paper from his manager saying there was a bit of a stalemate over the contract. plus he's a free agent this year that hasn't signed, so it's a bit more than random scuttlebutt.

Cheers.

As others have said, his worth is more than just his numbers but in the end he's never going to get a huge payday. Hopefully they can get it sorted soon.

I should disclose that I detest the way many managers "negotiate". Can't say Pickering's recent troubles have had me shedding many tears.

Well then I look at Hawthorn this season. They lost their best forward, best mid and two best defenders and coach and sitting on top of the ladder and could go on and win the flag. That's not bad for injures. They get injuries and keep winning no drop off for them.
(Plus they lost their best crumber probably the best crumber in the league )

That sounds pretty much like how we finished 2011....the proof won't come for the hawks until the GF....if they make it.

Goldsack isn't going anywhere... just wants to get his worth up.

He deserves more coin IMO... and loves the Football club.

He will be a Pie for life.
From your post to his manager's ears. Hope you are right as I think many underestimate his value to the team.

Goldsack isn't going anywhere... just wants to get his worth up.

He deserves more coin IMO... and loves the Football club.

He will be a Pie for life.

Everyone should love the club....It is a fricken lovable club, what's not to love. I am sick of Goldsack's inability to rise to more than an average of 11 touches of the ball a game, and I am not fooled by the 2 manic hard tackles a game to make him more worthy than a lot of other players that could play the role.

I am dirty on four players Blair, White, Goldsack and Young. They are of the age where they stand up and go to another level for us, in the position we find ourselves in, with our average age low, and our poor run with injuries. The reason why Geelong and Hawthorn can redevelop their young players and have their older players succumb to injuries, and still be competitive, is because their equivalent players to these four, step up and up and up. These four seem to have this belief that they are AFL players, but they will only be 15-20 best in the side. They don't dare to dream, and anyone like that, I don't want at the club.

I was wrapped when we got Young and White, as I am with most players that come to the club, because I am optimistic with improvement, but this year, I feel I have seen why Hawks and Swans let them go.

So while our young guys try their hardest to fast track their development to have us win the games, and our stars try their hardest to not be struck down with the injuries and fall off of ability to keep up, these middle rung senior experienced players are annoying me to tears.

THAT is what I think of Tyson Fricken Goldsack. Blue jumper will look great on him.

Everyone should love the club....It is a fricken lovable club, what's not to love. I am sick of Goldsack's inability to rise to more than an average of 11 touches of the ball a game, and I am not fooled by the 2 manic hard tackles a game to make him more worthy than a lot of other players that could play the role.

I am dirty on four players Blair, White, Goldsack and Young. They are of the age where they stand up and go to another level for us, in the position we find ourselves in, with our average age low, and our poor run with injuries. The reason why Geelong and Hawthorn can redevelop their young players and have their older players succumb to injuries, and still be competitive, is because their equivalent players to these four, step up and up and up. These four seem to have this belief that they are AFL players, but they will only be 15-20 best in the side. They don't dare to dream, and anyone like that, I don't want at the club.

I was wrapped when we got Young and White, as I am with most players that come to the club, because I am optimistic with improvement, but this year, I feel I have seen why Hawks and Swans let them go.

So while our young guys try their hardest to fast track their development to have us win the games, and our stars try their hardest to not be struck down with the injuries and fall off of ability to keep up, these middle rung senior experienced players are annoying me to tears.

THAT is what I think of Tyson Fricken Goldsack. Blue jumper will look great on him.
Are you going to make another sooky thread over it like the Martin non promotion?

Love the Sack.

The difference between output is a lot closer week to week. Quite noteable that no one has questioned his performance in the back half after he had not played there all year.

Love the Sack.

I hope not because that would not be warranted. The Martin thread was warranted imo.

Oh, did someone mention Martin, I probably didn't read that, because my ignore list has a lot of people that love to get personal and ego wanky (New word I just made up then).

Martin has not been given too much of a go. Was a bit nervous first week, and rightly so, being made think he needs to be Gary Ablett junior like to get any reward for effort.

But he kicked a goal, and was warming into it. Week two, Green vest, despite someone like Armstrong, who Martin made look second rate in the VFL in comparison, coming in and playing more game time than Martin did in week one. Dwyer too deserved to step in slowly with the green vest before I would Green vest Martin, and someone like Blair, who has been in pretty average form, should of really got a rocket by being given the green vest, because he knows he is on auto select and Buckley will pick him regardless of what he does. Ditto Goldsack.

So very disappointed to see Martin sit three quarters on the bench, and come out and play forward in the last, when Port was pushing hard to win it, and keeping the ball in their forward line most of the quarter. When the Pies went forward though, and you can check this if it is in dispute, that when Cloke took his two marks in the last to kick goals, watch the Smart replay, and see who is front and centre both times. But that all doesn't matter, drop the kid anyway, because he didn't get a chance to get his hand onto it.

If he walks from the club at years end, I won't be surprised, would be better off at a club that will give him a decent shot at it, and not take the bloke for granted.

Goldsack is a keeper. Have loved his season so far. Considering we are in the 8 by % only he has been responsible for helping us across the line a couple of times with his versatility. The West Coast game is one that comes to mind where he had to go back and play on a tall after our injuries during the game.

The people bagging him are the ones that will come back when he plays a 10 possession game elsewhere, bleating 'why did we let him go..sack the coach'!!

But that all doesn't matter, drop the kid anyway, because he didn't get a chance to get his hand onto it.

It's hard to keep him in when BenKen absolutely dominated in the VFL, we didn't really have any terrible players against P.A that deserved to be dropped but if I had to pick one to make way, it would be the guy with zero possessions...

It's hard to keep him in when BenKen absolutely dominated in the VFL, we didn't really have any terrible players against P.A that deserved to be dropped but if I had to pick one to make way, it would be the guy with zero possessions...

Sort of agree with that. Just a shame though, because this particular bloke will be tossing up whether Collingwood is the team for him. I would of preferred to give Blair a message that he is NOT on auto select, as we did with Young and Ball last week. Which was GREAT to see by the way, because I have renewed my belief they can give us something. 90% of it is in between the ears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone should love the club....It is a fricken lovable club, what's not to love.

There's plenty not to love... just like every other club.
I don't buy into any of this stuff that says a Collingwood player must resign with us, or is considered a traitor.

An AFL player generally has a career-span of 5-10 years (if they're lucky) - and the first few of which are undertaken on a rookie contract. That leaves them only a very short window at their peak earnings (usually only 1 or 2 contracts).
It's all very easy to say that he should love the club and should sacrifice to stay here (and I'm sure Goldy does really enjoy playing here, and puts his body on the line constantly for this club) - but at the end of the day he needs to make the right decision for him and his family. (And on the same note- the club has to make the right decision for them)... when push comes to shove, you try to take those emotions out of it (and that's why we have player Agents).

But all clubs have players like this - guys who are limited in their ability but who play their role.

Every club has players they get frustrated by - guys who a lot of fans don't want to see as a regular part of their team- but guys who play their role really well (usually something that we don't see easily) and can be a big part of team success. LRT is the epitome of "that guy"- he was never going to be any more than a role player, and his role kept changing - but he repeatedly did what was asked of him, and played a reasonable part in 2 flag winning teams.

I also disagree with an idea that players should "dare to dream". I don't want 22 guys out there trying to be the next Dane Swan, or the next Trav Cloke - you don't win like that... the guys with that sort of talent/potential - sure go ahead and try to become that type of player (after getting the fundamentals down pat)... for everyone else - look clearly (with the club) at what your strengths and weaknesses are, and find out how best you can play your part on the team - because having 22 guys playing their specific roles is how you play succesfully as a team.

Oh, did someone mention Martin, I probably didn't read that, because my ignore list has a lot of people that love to get personal and ego wanky (New word I just made up then).

Martin has not been given too much of a go. Was a bit nervous first week, and rightly so, being made think he needs to be Gary Ablett junior like to get any reward for effort.

But he kicked a goal, and was warming into it. Week two, Green vest, despite someone like Armstrong, who Martin made look second rate in the VFL in comparison, coming in and playing more game time than Martin did in week one. Dwyer too deserved to step in slowly with the green vest before I would Green vest Martin, and someone like Blair, who has been in pretty average form, should of really got a rocket by being given the green vest, because he knows he is on auto select and Buckley will pick him regardless of what he does. Ditto Goldsack.

So very disappointed to see Martin sit three quarters on the bench, and come out and play forward in the last, when Port was pushing hard to win it, and keeping the ball in their forward line most of the quarter. When the Pies went forward though, and you can check this if it is in dispute, that when Cloke took his two marks in the last to kick goals, watch the Smart replay, and see who is front and centre both times. But that all doesn't matter, drop the kid anyway, because he didn't get a chance to get his hand onto it.

If he walks from the club at years end, I won't be surprised, would be better off at a club that will give him a decent shot at it, and not take the bloke for granted.

What absolute crap. Not every player can become elite. Most don't. Goldsack I believe has improved every year since 2010 when he was not best 22 but he will never be top 10 on the list. But that does not mean he is satisfied or that he just assumes he is an automatic selection. To me Goldsack is one of our most important players and that is not an opinion I held at the start of the year.

There's plenty not to love... just like every other club.
I don't buy into any of this stuff that says a Collingwood player must resign with us, or is considered a traitor.

An AFL player generally has a career-span of 5-10 years (if they're lucky) - and the first few of which are undertaken on a rookie contract. That leaves them only a very short window at their peak earnings (usually only 1 or 2 contracts).
It's all very easy to say that he should love the club and should sacrifice to stay here (and I'm sure Goldy does really enjoy playing here, and puts his body on the line constantly for this club) - but at the end of the day he needs to make the right decision for him and his family. (And on the same note- the club has to make the right decision for them)... when push comes to shove, you try to take those emotions out of it (and that's why we have player Agents).

But all clubs have players like this - guys who are limited in their ability but who play their role.

Every club has players they get frustrated by - guys who a lot of fans don't want to see as a regular part of their team- but guys who play their role really well (usually something that we don't see easily) and can be a big part of team success. LRT is the epitome of "that guy"- he was never going to be any more than a role player, and his role kept changing - but he repeatedly did what was asked of him, and played a reasonable part in 2 flag winning teams.

I also disagree with an idea that players should "dare to dream". I don't want 22 guys out there trying to be the next Dane Swan, or the next Trav Cloke - you don't win like that... the guys with that sort of talent/potential - sure go ahead and try to become that type of player (after getting the fundamentals down pat)... for everyone else - look clearly (with the club) at what your strengths and weaknesses are, and find out how best you can play your part on the team - because having 22 guys playing their specific roles is how you play succesfully as a team.

I'd nearly have to disagree with everything you said. To play AFL footy is to put your body on the line. It just so happens that you get smashed who ever you play for. A player that gets 11 disposals a game does not deserve big money, end of story. If someone like Carlton want to pay the dollars for him, good luck to him.

Hawks don't, their bottom six players are better than ours. Because instead of demanding more of our senior players, sometimes we are happy with this slightly better than average. Hawks aren't happy with that. LRT play some pretty bloody good football at the right time. If LRT was playing like Goldsack, he would of been dropped.

OF COURSE you dare to dream. Ridiculous I am taking the time with you really after reading your thoughts there. My god, if you don't get dream you can be better, than get out seriously. Look at a young kid named Anthony Miles, who was nothing 10 weeks ago, now tonight he has picked up 14 possessions with 80% accuracy for the first quarter v Bombers. Tell Maxwell you shouldn't dare to dream, or Lumumba.

What absolute crap. Not every player can become elite. Most don't. Goldsack I believe has improved every year since 2010 when he was not best 22 but he will never be top 10 on the list. But that does not mean he is satisfied or that he just assumes he is an automatic selection. To me Goldsack is one of our most important players and that is not an opinion I held at the start of the year.

He has played the same pretty much his whole career, he is in a permanent plateau. Only reason he has made a regular spot now, is that we no longer have a top four side.

I'd nearly have to disagree with everything you said. To play AFL footy is to put your body on the line. It just so happens that you get smashed who ever you play for. A player that gets 11 disposals a game does not deserve big money, end of story. If someone like Carlton want to pay the dollars for him, good luck to him.

Who said anything about "big money"? Collingwood will offer him a figure they think he's worth. Goldy (/agent) will have an idea of how much he wants (likely will depend on what another club offers) - if those two figures are close enough, he will stay, if they are far enough away - then he will go.

Hawks don't, their bottom six players are better than ours. Because instead of demanding more of our senior players, sometimes we are happy with this slightly better than average. Hawks aren't happy with that. LRT play some pretty bloody good football at the right time. If LRT was playing like Goldsack, he would of been dropped.

Of course their bottom 6 players are better than our bottom 6 - that's why they are above us on the ladder. But their bottom 6 would'nt be in our top 10.

You quoted "11 disposals" above as a suggestion that Goldy is no good - yet LRT averages 10 for his career (season high was 15 - but averaged 7, and 10 in both flag winning seasons - playing 20+ games both times). You can't use a stat like disposals to value a player like Goldy. His worth is a lot more than that - if you don't see his worth to our team when you watch the game - fine thats your opinion - but many here see his worth - and clearly so does Bucks and our selectors.

OF COURSE you dare to dream. Ridiculous I am taking the time with you really after reading your thoughts there. My god, if you don't get dream you can be better, than get out seriously. Look at a young kid named Anthony Miles, who was nothing 10 weeks ago, now tonight he has picked up 14 possessions with 80% accuracy for the first quarter v Bombers. Tell Maxwell you shouldn't dare to dream, or Lumumba.
Good job not even reading my paragraph. Maxy is exactly the type of player that Goldy should (and largely does) mold himself on - a guy who had clear limitations but played his role (and stuck to his role) - Maxy never tried to collect 20 disposals a game, or tried to become a star - he did exactly what was needed from him.

On a totally unrelated note: Malthouse just seems to have players who get involved in an incident, lie to the club then try to protect their mate by not admitting to an incident, all sounds familiar doesn't it..

Jog your memory, both players aren't at Collingwood any more.

On a totally unrelated note: Malthouse just seems to have players who get involved in an incident, lie to the club then try to protect their mate by not admitting to an incident, all sounds familiar doesn't it..

Jog your memory, both players aren't at Collingwood any more.
You are joking aren't you. Every Collingwood supporter would have laughed their asses off when the news came through.

Especially after Daisy's comment earlier in the year.

I don't know if others think Jason Dunstall has a clue about footy having helped to shape the current Hawks list in the early naughties, but he is under no illusion as to the value of Goldy. In fact he sees him as under-rated.

I mean it's just an impossibility that you get a team chock full of stars given the constraints of a national draft pool and the salary cap. You get role players to complement a squad and no one is a better role player than Goldy imv.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back