Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is nowhere a place?🤔
latest

Speaking of equipment, let's talk balls.

If you ask most people they'll give you the default Titleist Pro V1 answer, and no doubt it's a great ball. I've been reading through some different reviews and studies though and there are cheaper balls with comparable performance.

For me for example, I've started playing Srixon Q Star Tour and bought some Z stars on sale, $40 a box. I still lose a few balls so don't want to be spending top dollar on Pro V1s when I can spend 50-70% of the cost but not lose 30% of the performance.

There's one ball that if you google is considered one of the best value cost/performance balls and it's the Snell MTB balls.
Will cost about $48 a dozen, but apparantly the performance far exceeds that cost.

There's even some opinions out there that something like a "ball fitting" is a lot more important than people think. It's the only piece of equipment that matters on every single stroke of every single round.

Which launch monitor did you go with?
Rapsodo MLM. It is still in the box. Won't be using it for a while as I am doing the protocols on the TourStriker Planemate...using wedge to start with...so I am to close the net for it to register. Also my phone is not Apple so I have to use my kids one...and he doesn't seem to want to cooperate just yet. See if he changes his tune after he eats one bowl of rice per day for a week. If not..I will donate his good clothes that I bought, to charity. Should work!

If you ask most people they'll give you the default Titleist Pro V1 answer, and no doubt it's a great ball. I've been reading through some different reviews and studies though and there are cheaper balls with comparable performance.

For me for example, I've started playing Srixon Q Star Tour and bought some Z stars on sale, $40 a box. I still lose a few balls so don't want to be spending top dollar on Pro V1s when I can spend 50-70% of the cost but not lose 30% of the performance.

There's one ball that if you google is considered one of the best value cost/performance balls and it's the Snell MTB balls.
Will cost about $48 a dozen, but apparantly the performance far exceeds that cost.

There's even some opinions out there that something like a "ball fitting" is a lot more important than people think. It's the only piece of equipment that matters on every single stroke of every single round.
Bridgestone balls for me

Here’s a lesson for any of you golfing junkies.

My mate wanted me to bring back some Snell golf balls when I was in the US nearly 2 years ago. I couldn’t find any in Denver though.

Dean Snell played a big part in developing both the ProV1 & Taylormade TP balls.

IMO ProV1X just provides me so much consistency and predictability that it's my preferred ball. It's probably not the best at everything you look for in a ball but for my game, on average, it does everything very well. They are expensive but they also have the best quality control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also my phone is not Apple so I have to use my kids one...and he doesn't seem to want to cooperate just yet. See if he changes his tune after he eats one bowl of rice per day for a week.
This is the greatest sentence I have read on Bigfooty, ever.

I have been using prov1s for ages and love them. What I would like to know...is the premium balls from other makers. Because I have no clue.

Find plenty especially with my travels into the trees from time to time but hesitant to use any of them because I have NFI.
Off the top of my head from the major ball brands
Srixon: Z Star / Z Star XV
Callaway: Chromesoft
Taylormade: TP5

These are just some well known ones on reviews, etc, I know Bridgestone also have their tour level premium ball offering too.

Dean Snell played a big part in developing both the ProV1 & Taylormade TP balls.

IMO ProV1X just provides me so much consistency and predictability that it's my preferred ball. It's probably not the best at everything you look for in a ball but for my game, on average, it does everything very well. They are expensive but they also have the best quality control.
Here’s a lesson for any of you golfing junkies.

My mate wanted me to bring back some Snell golf balls when I was in the US nearly 2 years ago. I couldn’t find any in Denver though.
I want to give the Snell MTBs a go, they are seriously highly rated online for their cost. They are fairly cheap already compared to other brands, but I might still wait for when a sale pops up. I've got about 50 balls, 3 dozen of them still brand new in the sleeve so I'm not in any rush.

These are just some well known ones on reviews, etc, I know Bridgestone also have their tour level premium ball offering too.

I want to give the Snell MTBs a go, they are seriously highly rated online for their cost. They are fairly cheap already compared to other brands, but I might still wait for when a sale pops up. I've got about 50 balls, 3 dozen of them still brand new in the sleeve so I'm not in any rush.
I’m the same with the Taylormade TP5X golf balls. I was told I should hit something else because I’m not a big hitter and the 5 piece ball is costing me distance.

'B'grade balls l used to love were the Srixon AD333 and Titleist Velocity. In my mind the 333's seemed to be great in wind and the Velocities were really straight. I harder ball that didn't sound so much so wouldn't slice or hook off into oblivion. I hit straighter now and so feel confident gaming ProV1's but I would highly recommend Velocities to anyone looking for distance and accuracy. Mid handicappers up. You lose a bit of touch and spin around the green but nothing a bit of practice can't fix. A really great ball.

Have you tried a "Forte" golf ball?

The whole new Taylormade P series irons coming out look phenomenal.

Watch for the new P-770 to be the hottest iron for the next 12-24 months.

I’m hoping it’s P790 with a smaller head, weaker lofts and less offset.

The P-MC look very nice, the new P-750. I hope the price isn’t the same as the P-750’s though. They were eye wateringly expensive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back