Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got a Drummond voucher as a gift, don't wanna waste it on balls or clothes and it's not enough for clubs.

Anyone used any of those SKLZ, Superspeed or Orange Whip trainers?

My tempo is always something I've struggled with, whatever the opposite of smooth is my tempo and speed, and I wonder if any of these aids might be worth a try.

I've got a Drummond voucher as a gift, don't wanna waste it on balls or clothes and it's not enough for clubs.

My tempo is always something I've struggled with, whatever the opposite of smooth is my tempo and speed, and I wonder if any of these aids might be worth a try.
You know I have one that you are welcome to try and see if you think it will help before purchasing

Fujikura recently bought out a training aid shaft which promotes a smooth tempo swing. I can’t recall 100% but I think they get pretty good reviews.

I just want to weigh in on this whole high handicappers getting fittings discussion I’ve seen in here .

I’ve recently gone through the process with our pro . I am 18.1 GA

I hit most of the brands and I can tell you there was clear winners and clear no’s. We then narrowed it down to same brand but 2 different models. Hit one further but one straighter.

Also got my specs for length and lie angle which had to be adjusted

Was then getting a bit too much roll out so pro changed a shaft in order to get me to launch higher and less roll . It worked because I was then launching higher and further and less roll out.

We went with a combo set because 5-6 iron I just had more confidence with the more forgiving club .

Woods was one clear winner, I hit longer and straighter and all the data was favourable.

Wedges, this was 100% worth while because with my new distances we had to get the gapping right.

Driver I tried about 5 drivers. There were 2 clear winners. The other 3 was far too inconsistent but I averaged 3 and 5 meters side of the target with the 2 winners and hit them further.

I haven’t picked one yet trying them both on course a few times .

But my point is I am very very happy with the results and process. Without doing that I would have random clubs that wouldn’t be right for me . And the testing process proved to me a certain set of clubs fit to an individual does make a huge difference .

I just want to weigh in on this whole high handicappers getting fittings discussion I’ve seen in here .

I’ve recently gone through the process with our pro . I am 18.1 GA

I hit most of the brands and I can tell you there was clear winners and clear no’s. We then narrowed it down to same brand but 2 different models. Hit one further but one straighter.

Also got my specs for length and lie angle which had to be adjusted

Was then getting a bit too much roll out so pro changed a shaft in order to get me to launch higher and less roll . It worked because I was then launching higher and further and less roll out.

We went with a combo set because 5-6 iron I just had more confidence with the more forgiving club .

Woods was one clear winner, I hit longer and straighter and all the data was favourable.

Wedges, this was 100% worth while because with my new distances we had to get the gapping right.

Driver I tried about 5 drivers. There were 2 clear winners. The other 3 was far too inconsistent but I averaged 3 and 5 meters side of the target with the 2 winners and hit them further.

I haven’t picked one yet trying them both on course a few times .

But my point is I am very very happy with the results and process. Without doing that I would have random clubs that wouldn’t be right for me . And the testing process proved to me a certain set of clubs fit to an individual does make a huge difference .
Great to hear! Love seeing the improvements. Without having mine yet, completely agree better clubs fitted to me and with improvement in mind will perform much better and more consistently.

I guess the debate is though for high inconsistent handicappers like me, who's swing likely changes week to week while yours might be more repeatable, how does that impact the fitting and results? My swing might be different today than it is tomorrow such is the stage of my golf game.

If you look at objective data and what each tertile would be
0-12 = low
13-24 = mid
25-36 = high

At 18.1, you aren't a "high" handicapper, despite what low handicappers might see you as.

At 32.8 last check, I am a high handicapper anyway you look at it.

Great to hear! Love seeing the improvements. Without having mine yet, completely agree better clubs fitted to me and with improvement in mind will perform much better and more consistently.

I guess the debate is though for high inconsistent handicappers like me, who's swing likely changes week to week while yours might be more repeatable, how does that impact the fitting and results? My swing might be different today than it is tomorrow such is the stage of my golf game.

If you look at objective data and what each tertile would be
0-12 = low
13-24 = mid
25-36 = high

At 18.1, you aren't a "high" handicapper, despite what low handicappers might see you as.

At 32.8 last check, I am a high handicapper anyway you look at it.
You're probably reading a bit too much into it. Fitting (shaft Length) is more to do with height than anything, and you're not growing (or shrinking) from week to week. Shaft is swing speed and unless your working super hard on your game, that won't change much either. Any change will be negligible. Once the clubs are the right size (length) your swing needs to fit with your clubs, not your clubs fitting with your swing.

Here’s an image of the irons I bought
View attachment 911668
I was fitted for the Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals. When I went to pay for them, they rang Mizuno Australia who said there was no more stock in the JPX 919’s. The replacement isn’t due out until February 2021. However, Mizuno is trying to push this forward to September or October this year.
So I went for the same fittings in the Cleveland Launcher UHX irons 4 to GW straight off the rack from Golfbox.

When are you expecting them to arrive? Must be excited!

As most of you know I got Callaway irons fitted last year. I recently had a chipping lesson and the pro wanted me to use 8 or 7 iron a lot when I could to basically putt with them. It is so hard as the ball comes off hot on the face...like a bloody trampoline! I have sweet FA feel with it (I am getting better and have made a few up and downs).

If this is a shot that I play from here on in...I would have mentioned in fitting I need something that gives me better feel.

Fitting pro was taking into account I am in my fifties and not amazing shape....and things will get harder as time goes on. Wanted to give me a club that gave me distance as my body movement becomes a bit limited.
I’ve sold the above irons on eBay for $750 to someone in Adelaide. I’m now waiting on Mizuno JPX 921 irons 4-PW, GW to come from Golf World in Adelaide to the Toowoomba, Qld store. I paid $1711 for them. What can I say? I’m a Mizuno person when it comes to irons. Love my Mizzy’s!

Currently using my old 2004 Callaway Big Bertha irons that I gave to my younger brother. He doesn’t play anymore and I had to clean the rust off them with CLR. 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally all my clubs are nearly here after about 6 weeks ... driver wedges and woods are here irons meant to be tomorrow.

Went with
Driver : Callaway maverik
Woods: 3 & 5 wood titleist tsi2
Irons : 5&6 titleist t300
Irons : 7 - 48 degree t200
Wedges : 54& 60 degree vokeys

All made a huge difference to my game so far not reflective in the scoring yet due to just silly mistakes but the striking feels so much better and more consistent confident the scores will come down

Finally all my clubs are nearly here after about 6 weeks ... driver wedges and woods are here irons meant to be tomorrow.

Went with
Driver : Callaway maverik
Woods: 3 & 5 wood titleist tsi2
Irons : 5&6 titleist t300
Irons : 7 - 48 degree t200
Wedges : 54& 60 degree vokeys

All made a huge difference to my game so far not reflective in the scoring yet due to just silly mistakes but the striking feels so much better and more consistent confident the scores will come down

Mizuno JPX 921 hot metal 4 to GW irons arrived this morning. I’m playing tomorrow and I can tell you for forgiving irons they aren’t chunky. Very sexy indeed.
View attachment 1095511

I had a fitting also and jpx 921 hot metal was generally accepted. Good when i actually hit it properly.

Anyone looking for a new set of irons? :tearsofjoy:

Haha what?!

If they perform no differently, why bother selling them?

$500 for dodgy counterfit irons seems steep to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back