Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

So just a question because I'm bored. Anyone got club/s in their bag they won't ever get rid of no matter what? I've got a v steel 3 wood t/s (tour strength) 13°. Stock stiff shaft. The thing is a cannon. If you ever get the chance to buy a v steel, grab one.
They're all replaceable 😀

So just a question because I'm bored. Anyone got club/s in their bag they won't ever get rid of no matter what? I've got a v steel 3 wood t/s (tour strength) 13°. Stock stiff shaft. The thing is a cannon. If you ever get the chance to buy a v steel, grab one.

Absolutely. My putter. If I remove it I haven’t got another.

Had my first club fitting this week.
Been playing set compiled of Gumtree/Marketplace acquisitions
Irons: Mizuno MP64's with NS Pro lightweight shafts. Soft, buttery, mizuno goodness but a bit short in length.
Woods: Ping G400's, Stiff in the Driver and R-flex in the 3wood, 3 hybrid, 4 hybrid.
Had no idea what my swing speed was, lie angle, etc.

Fitting shows a 7-iron swing speed of 89, so medium-to-quick.
I should put the NS Pro's in the bin and get into Project-X Stiff shafts or KBS Pro, 120gm range. Very different to what I've got, 8-10 metres longer.
Played the new Mizuno 923 and really liked the Forged. 923 Tours felt soft and buttery but the consistency of the Forged was truly remarkable. Dispersion was so tight. Highly recommend getting your hands on these and having a test hit.

Nike Vapour Pro 3-Iron.

Bought it to put a graphite shaft in it but have kept the steel shaft.

It’s a cracker.

Had my first club fitting this week.
Been playing set compiled of Gumtree/Marketplace acquisitions
Irons: Mizuno MP64's with NS Pro lightweight shafts. Soft, buttery, mizuno goodness but a bit short in length.
Woods: Ping G400's, Stiff in the Driver and R-flex in the 3wood, 3 hybrid, 4 hybrid.
Had no idea what my swing speed was, lie angle, etc.

Fitting shows a 7-iron swing speed of 89, so medium-to-quick.
I should put the NS Pro's in the bin and get into Project-X Stiff shafts or KBS Pro, 120gm range. Very different to what I've got, 8-10 metres longer.
Played the new Mizuno 923 and really liked the Forged. 923 Tours felt soft and buttery but the consistency of the Forged was truly remarkable. Dispersion was so tight. Highly recommend getting your hands on these and having a test hit.
I never understood why anyone wants to hit their irons further.

Provided you have an even gap between your irons what's the point?

I've got the exact same club Bicco and 110% agree. Blue Graphite Design shaft?

I never understood why anyone wants to hit their irons further.

Provided you have an even gap between your irons what's the point?

Gives you more options. If you can carry a 4 iron 175m, you've probably got more options than a player who can only cover that with a Driver. Once you're off the tee if you're not a long hitter you're kind of stuck. You're probably more reliable with a long iron than a Driver too in terms of dispersion and consistency so yeh having more options at length with irons helps.

IMO short game is where you can make more adjustments/shorter swings/etc.

Gives you more options. If you can carry a 4 iron 175m, you've probably got more options than a player who can only cover that with a Driver. Once you're off the tee if you're not a long hitter you're kind of stuck. You're probably more reliable with a long iron than a Driver too in terms of dispersion and consistency so yeh having more options at length with irons helps.

IMO short game is where you can make more adjustments/shorter swings/etc.
I think the point may be more around the idea that irons are really for approaches to the green. So what that means is you need to be able to hit your irons a certain distance rather than just ‘long’. To that end it doesn’t matter if you hit a 7i 130m or 180m, what matters is that you can hit it the distance you want to hit it. Knowing your 7i is between 140-145m is far more valuable than hitting it 160-180m. To your example, yes I have 3 clubs that could cover 175m (3w,2i and 4i) but this is where golf fool’s people. Accuracy far outweighs distance in importance with regards to scoring (not distance control though). If you have 175m for a 2nd shot and you have no club to do that, then don’t try to. Hit x2 90m shots. You might be lucky and sink the par putt, or two putt for bogey. Most high handicappers will try to launch a 3w or driver off of the deck, stuff it up, mess up their 3rd shot, get on the green with their 4th and then 3 putt for a 7. Low handicappers miss well. If Ive got 175m in (4i) into a breeze and the pin is at the back, I’ll always play safe and hit the 4i knowing it will be short. Much better to have a 10-15m putt than a short sided chip from the back of the green if I hit my 2i too far. Finally, if you have a hole that has 175m in for a 2nd shot (let’s say total 380m hole) it will almost definitely be rated one of the harder holes so most people won’t be expected to par it. If the course gives you an extra shot, use it.

I think the point may be more around the idea that irons are really for approaches to the green. So what that means is you need to be able to hit your irons a certain distance rather than just ‘long’. To that end it doesn’t matter if you hit a 7i 130m or 180m, what matters is that you can hit it the distance you want to hit it. Knowing your 7i is between 140-145m is far more valuable than hitting it 160-180m. To your example, yes I have 3 clubs that could cover 175m (3w,2i and 4i) but this is where golf fool’s people. Accuracy far outweighs distance in importance with regards to scoring (not distance control though). If you have 175m for a 2nd shot and you have no club to do that, then don’t try to. Hit x2 90m shots. You might be lucky and sink the par putt, or two putt for bogey. Most high handicappers will try to launch a 3w or driver off of the deck, stuff it up, mess up their 3rd shot, get on the green with their 4th and then 3 putt for a 7. Low handicappers miss well. If Ive got 175m in (4i) into a breeze and the pin is at the back, I’ll always play safe and hit the 4i knowing it will be short. Much better to have a 10-15m putt than a short sided chip from the back of the green if I hit my 2i too far. Finally, if you have a hole that has 175m in for a 2nd shot (let’s say total 380m hole) it will almost definitely be rated one of the harder holes so most people won’t be expected to par it. If the course gives you an extra shot, use it.
Fair point. We're conditioned that distance = better scores though, which is true to a large degree, so that's where I think the longer obsession comes from. It probably carries through the bag.

Fair point. We're conditioned that distance = better scores though, which is true to a large degree, so that's where I think the longer obsession comes from. It probably carries through the bag.
Distance matters off the tee unless you have hazards/doglegs/par 3’s.Then distance control matters. Distance control, not distance (length) matters with your irons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone thought abbout the Nike shirt some of the folk are wearing these days? Including koepka? The swoosh is on the back, around where the scapula resides.

I assumed that was just for coverage

I assumed that was just for coverage
appears widely available

dri-fit-tour-solid-golf-polo-3n3bxz.png

I think I’m about to upgrade my Taylormade M2 driver to a Mizuno JPX EZ.

Just cannot hit the M2 to save my life.
For reference*

*could hit my Ping driver pretty well, haven’t been able to hit the M2 very well no matter what I try since changing clubs, just feels off.

For reference*

*could hit my Ping driver pretty well, haven’t been able to hit the M2 very well no matter what I try since changing clubs, just feels off.

Just get fitted for something. Its likely the shaft if you can't hit it.

But also why did you change from the Ping if you hit it well? Perhaps go back to it.

This is a hail mary but there isn't anyone here that owns and wishes to sell a Miura KM-005 1957 Series Putter? Or any of the 1957 series putters for that matter.

Just get fitted for something. Its likely the shaft if you can't hit it.

But also why did you change from the Ping if you hit it well? Perhaps go back to it.
Yeah I think I’ll get fitted for a woods set, my irons have actually been going pretty good!

I was buying and selling up from a $50 set (I.e - buy a $50 set, sell for $100, buy a $100 set, sell for $250 and so on) and I worked my way up to a set of Taylormade M2 woods and CB irons. The pings were the last set I had, I’ve had this set for a little while now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back