Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most importantly for me is speed.
Must finish inside 12 inches past the hole.
Must must must.
No short putt ever went in
And no-one wants a 4ft putt coming back.

Hear me talking to the boy have ya? ;)

Why is 5-putt-toxic giving people advice on putting? ;);)

07-17-14-ernie-three-putt.gif

tenor.gif

I'm after a bit of advice guys on buying some clubs.

I haven't played golf in about ten years until around 3 weeks ago. I purchased a $80 set off gumtree 3 weeks ago and upgraded to some Calloway x20 irons during the week. I am only playing par 3 at the moment but want to start playing some par 5's in a few weeks.

The crap set of clubs included 2 drivers, ideally I'd like to upgrade these but wanting to know should I upgrade these now or will my swing change and then I have to be fitted again if that makes sense?

I'm after a bit of advice guys on buying some clubs.

I haven't played golf in about ten years until around 3 weeks ago. I purchased a $80 set off gumtree 3 weeks ago and upgraded to some Calloway x20 irons during the week. I am only playing par 3 at the moment but want to start playing some par 5's in a few weeks.

The crap set of clubs included 2 drivers, ideally I'd like to upgrade these but wanting to know should I upgrade these now or will my swing change and then I have to be fitted again if that makes sense?

A few things come into play

1) You mentioned you're playing par 3s at the moment but want to play par 5s. How about Par 4s?
2) How often do you want to play?
3) How serious will golf be in your future?

I always think going to a golf shop, talking to the staff and see what they say. A club fitting is a great idea, but if you're only playing for giggles and shits then may not be required.

Good luck mate!

A few things come into play

1) You mentioned you're playing par 3s at the moment but want to play par 5s. How about Par 4s?
2) How often do you want to play?
3) How serious will golf be in your future?

I always think going to a golf shop, talking to the staff and see what they say. A club fitting is a great idea, but if you're only playing for giggles and shits then may not be required.

Good luck mate!

1- yep I want to try as many golf courses as I can around the Adelaide area to get a feel for them before I join a club, took out a one month membership at the local par 3 so I can sharpen the short game before I make a fool of myself on a larger course lol. My best result so far out of around 5 visits has been +12 so nothing special.
2- looking at playing maybe twice a week - maybe more just depending on work permitting.
3- Golf just a hobby more so that I might look to enter a few comps but nothing to serious - I think the main thing is I want to be able to keep improving to make sure I stay interested.

I did go into two pro shops and each gave me conflicting advice - one told me its better to wait as my swing will change over the next few months and one thinks its best to get fitted so I am starting right from the start that's why I am a little confused.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1- yep I want to try as many golf courses as I can around the Adelaide area to get a feel for them before I join a club, took out a one month membership at the local par 3 so I can sharpen the short game before I make a fool of myself on a larger course lol. My best result so far out of around 5 visits has been +12 so nothing special.
2- looking at playing maybe twice a week - maybe more just depending on work permitting.
3- Golf just a hobby more so that I might look to enter a few comps but nothing to serious - I think the main thing is I want to be able to keep improving to make sure I stay interested.

I did go into two pro shops and each gave me conflicting advice - one told me its better to wait as my swing will change over the next few months and one thinks its best to get fitted so I am starting right from the start that's why I am a little confused.

Hmmm. How much do you want new sticks? If you really want, get get em! As far as swings go, yes swings change. Hell mine changes during a round lol. But the pro will know what to do. Pick one of them, and go with it.

Excited for u

Hmmm. How much do you want new sticks? If you really want, get get em! As far as swings go, yes swings change. Hell mine changes during a round lol. But the pro will know what to do. Pick one of them, and go with it.

Excited for u
Thanks Mate, I am really impulsive so I was more just looking for someone to give me the ok to spend more on new sticks hahaha.

I know what you mean about the changing mid round, I was +3 on the front 9 and ended up + 22 after the 18 holes it was like a different player playing the first nine to the back nine lol.

If you're just starting out the worst thing you could go would be to head to a golf shop and get fitted. All you'll end up with is a set of lightweight, upright set of irons designed around your flawed swing (usually to stop you slicing). And they'll cause you all sorts of problems down the track as you try to improve your swing.

Unless you are a really strange height or shape the only time you should consider fitting is if you're having lessons with a teaching pro.

So, putting the boy's clubs in the travel case ahead of our flight Thurday and decided to look at his shoes since he complained over the weekend. He certainly grows but I had just purchased him new shoes for the fall season and I couldn't imagine he had outgrown them already.

It would seem his idiot father never bothered to check the shoes when I purchased them. His left shoe was the correct size and his right shoe was 1 size to small. I believe he played 8 tournaments in 3 1/2 months that way. Which may (in part) explain his 0-3 in playoffs during that span since his right foot was likely killing him.

I am a moron.

:)

I hit a mates driver at the range a few weeks back. Loved it. Smoked it. So bought one.
Exactly the same head, shaft, length, loft, setting, grip, everything. Both bought from the same golf store.
However, strange thing is mine doesn't hit it anywhere near as long as his. I thought at first it was a just because of different elements of a different day eg weather, my swing etc.
So to test this out, i used his and mine on the same day at the range, and his went further by about 40m, higher too. Even had him switch them behind my back, to make sure it wasn't a psychological response. Nope.
Any ideas what's going on here?

I hit a mates driver at the range a few weeks back. Loved it. Smoked it. So bought one.
Exactly the same head, shaft, length, loft, setting, grip, everything. Both bought from the same golf store.
However, strange thing is mine doesn't hit it anywhere near as long as his. I thought at first it was a just because of different elements of a different day eg weather, my swing etc.
So to test this out, i used his and mine on the same day at the range, and his went further by about 40m, higher too. Even had him switch them behind my back, to make sure it wasn't a psychological response. Nope.

Sounds fishy.
Take them both to a golfshop and hit in a simulator in front of the pro who sold it to you

Sa
me golf ball.?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back