Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recently picked up some Cleveland CG7s, and used them on Sunday for the first time. Definitely hitting it further with all clubs...very impressed with these, make it feel very easy. Need to find a good wedge now, am told Cleveland make good ones too. Any other recommendations?

the titleist vokeys are the be all and end all of wedges. if you want the best, look no further. however if you dont want to offlaod $200 on a wedge, the cleveland cg16s and mizuno mp wedges are very nice. i have a wilson staff one atm but its getting to the end of its life, not much bite anymore. this is where ill be heading when i buy though

horses for courses, i dont mind the vokey wedges but in my humble opinion the Cleveland 588 wedges are the best in the business. They have recently launched a remake of the legendary tour action 588 which i have bought a 56 and 60 and they are amazing

Im looking to get into golf seriously and aim to be hitting really good scores in just over a year. Ive hit 39 and 41 off 9 holes before using basically 6 clubs as i have only 5-6 decent ones. If i was to play 9 holes now i would hit 50 odd probably however im looking to practice and hit the ball most days at the oval.

So now i just need some decent clubs and at a good price? Ive been asking some pros and amateurs and they recommended starting with adams clubs? they look good but are fairly expensive wondering if its worth getting clubs that expensive just yet or some cheaper ones? anyone have suggestions to someone getting into gold who wants to take it seriously has played before and scored okay but hasnt hit a ball for ages and needs some clubs? any cheap sites?

Does height matter and i think i prefer GS but will go into a golf store just to work that out

Im looking to get into golf seriously and aim to be hitting really good scores in just over a year. Ive hit 39 and 41 off 9 holes before using basically 6 clubs as i have only 5-6 decent ones. If i was to play 9 holes now i would hit 50 odd probably however im looking to practice and hit the ball most days at the oval.

So now i just need some decent clubs and at a good price? Ive been asking some pros and amateurs and they recommended starting with adams clubs? they look good but are fairly expensive wondering if its worth getting clubs that expensive just yet or some cheaper ones? anyone have suggestions to someone getting into gold who wants to take it seriously has played before and scored okay but hasnt hit a ball for ages and needs some clubs? any cheap sites?

Does height matter and i think i prefer GS but will go into a golf store just to work that out

What's your budget? Difficult to give advice without knowing that.

I also was wondering myself what is a good choice for forgiving/"game improvement" hybrids. Looking at Cleveland Mashie and the Callaway Diablo Edge, any others that people would recommend?

horses for courses, i dont mind the vokey wedges but in my humble opinion the Cleveland 588 wedges are the best in the business. They have recently launched a remake of the legendary tour action 588 which i have bought a 56 and 60 and they are amazing

Ended up going with a 588 in 60 with 8 of bounce. Really, really, really happy with it.

Unreal, really fizzing the ball now (have recently improved my chipping /pitching tech as well) especially with a pro V1.

Will be purchasing this wedge from now on. Got a free dozen srixon z stars as well

argh yes good point. Id be willing to spend something in the range of 5-800 for just the iron set

Taylor made RBZ. About 90 bucks a stick, get 4 to SW. amazing set of sticks and a great game improver club, very forgiving, not to high of a launch and great distance.

I got a set and am absolutely thrilled with them have come down 3 shots in the last 6 weeks with them, had a couple of lessons to

Ended up going with a 588 in 60 with 8 of bounce. Really, really, really happy with it.

Unreal, really fizzing the ball now (have recently improved my chipping /pitching tech as well) especially with a pro V1.

Will be purchasing this wedge from now on. Got a free dozen srixon z stars as well
nice work, what made you go with the 588 over the vokey which you seemed pretty keen on?

nice work, what made you go with the 588 over the vokey which you seemed pretty keen on?

Price in the end and I went into a golf box (not sure if its a national chain) and only Drummond supply vokeys.

They were only 129 compared to 200ish for the vokeys and I got a dozen Z stars. Great deal !

I'm only a mid teens marker, don't think that there is much difference when you get to that level of quality

I need some advice on hybrids from the bigfooty experts...preference is for something reasonably forgiving, I struggled for a while with my current cheap hybrids, but have been getting some consistency lately (have stopped trying to belt the crap out of the ball...). I'm leaning towards the cleveland mashie or the callaway diablo edge at the moment..

I need some advice on hybrids from the bigfooty experts...preference is for something reasonably forgiving, I struggled for a while with my current cheap hybrids, but have been getting some consistency lately (have stopped trying to belt the crap out of the ball...). I'm leaning towards the cleveland mashie or the callaway diablo edge at the moment..

all of those ones are pretty decent, when you get to the premo producers, theres not a whole lot of noticable difference for a high marker.

if you want to go through a store, i would just grab all the ones you want to try and hit them all and figure out which one you like. heard the RBZ and Adams hybrids are worth a hit

Just started playing golf again after about five years out of the game. Was off about 20ish at best before I stopped playing. My clubs are pretty old so I decided to take the plunge and fork out for new ones. Picked up a set of new R11 irons 4-PW and they play like a dream. Beautiful to hit with and very forgiving (I need it). I'm already down to about 21-22

A mate also let me borrow his R11 driver and it hits very well (compared to my Wilson Killer Whale, lol). Hit seven out of nine fairways when I played on Monday. He's looking to sell it and it's in great condition so I'll buy it off him.

I still need new fairway woods as I currently don't have a 3-wood and it's very difficult to play long par 4s using an old 5-wood. All I need then is a couple of wedges and I'll be set as the one thing I find very difficult with the current PW is chipping. It doesn't have the greatest feel the closer you get to the green.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My recently purchased PW is at 46 degrees, so also now have 52 degree and 56 degree wedges in my bag. Love the gap wedge (52), and the 56 out of the rough and sand is great, thinking I need a chipper too (or need to practice these shots with a 7 iron)..

all of those ones are pretty decent, when you get to the premo producers, theres not a whole lot of noticable difference for a high marker.

if you want to go through a store, i would just grab all the ones you want to try and hit them all and figure out which one you like. heard the RBZ and Adams hybrids are worth a hit

I read this post when I got home smashed on sunday morning, forgot I had seen it until I just saw it again! Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

My recently purchased PW is at 46 degrees, so also now have 52 degree and 56 degree wedges in my bag. Love the gap wedge (52), and the 56 out of the rough and sand is great, thinking I need a chipper too (or need to practice these shots with a 7 iron)..

You can chip with any club, but the best chipper in your bag is your putter if your a high marker. Craig parry once said the greatest mistake amateurs make is chipping when they don't have to.

I would stick to the 52 and 46 degs for your chipping, still will get plenty of nip to stop, the 7 iron can be a tad strong.

No worries on the hybrid advice, let me know which one you end up getting, I'm looking at a 2 hybrid soon

You can chip with any club, but the best chipper in your bag is your putter if your a high marker. Craig parry once said the greatest mistake amateurs make is chipping when they don't have to.

I would stick to the 52 and 46 degs for your chipping, still will get plenty of nip to stop, the 7 iron can be a tad strong.

No worries on the hybrid advice, let me know which one you end up getting, I'm looking at a 2 hybrid soon

Ended up getting the callaway diablo edge 3 and 4 hybrids, had a bit of a hit yesterday and was pretty impressed. All I need now to complete the set of new clubs are probably a 3 wood and maybe a 2 hybrid also.

Kept hitting the greens yesterday too so didn't need to chip too much! ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back