Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

No not at all, I know the blokes there well, have bought many things from there and I'm paying for them to do it.

The grip arrived today and it's not as fat as it appeared, it's a 3.0 size, so while bigger than mine I was hoping for a little chunkier. Might be changing again one day!
My experience with the chunkier grips is that it helps with the short putts but has the opposite effect with the long ones.

20% off 2020 clubs on golfbox this weekend.
Yeh big savings, off the full original price though so might be worth most waiting until after winter. Would hurt too much getting brand new clubs delivered overnight and then have them sit in the garage for 3 months untouched.

Potentially looking at some new irons

Looking at Golf box

My mate recently got the TaylorMade p790s and I've gone from fading all my old clubs to drawing all of my p790s

What would people's advice be. I'm giving my self the advice of just hitting as many clubs at golf box to get a feel and see what hits best. I'm also thinking with limited courses available (WA) and winter (rain) might be worth waiting till afterwards and wait for new range to enter the markets

My old clubs are extremely forgiving but lack a fair bit in distance. They have a huge head and are more beginner type clubs had them for a good 6 years

The 20% off is tempting on 2020 range

Looking at Golf box

My mate recently got the TaylorMade p790s and I've gone from fading all my old clubs to drawing all of my p790s

What would people's advice be. I'm giving my self the advice of just hitting as many clubs at golf box to get a feel and see what hits best. I'm also thinking with limited courses available (WA) and winter (rain) might be worth waiting till afterwards and wait for new range to enter the markets

My old clubs are extremely forgiving but lack a fair bit in distance. They have a huge head and are more beginner type clubs had them for a good 6 years

Do you like bigger headed clubs, or more blades clubs?

Make sure you get fitted properly with correct shafts that align with your swing speed.

Do you like bigger headed clubs, or more blades clubs?

Make sure you get fitted properly with correct shafts that align with your swing speed.

Too add to the above
I hit a range from 81-98 .. don't have a handicap but probably around the 14-16 mark

I've usually preferred bigger cavity club heads but after hitting the p790s they went quite well for me and they have more of a blade style I suppose ... Not much head

Yeh do you recommend golf box as being ok for fittings ect. Happy to buy a set around the 1200 mark

Too add to the above
I hit a range from 81-98 .. don't have a handicap but probably around the 14-16 mark

I've usually preferred bigger cavity club heads but after hitting the p790s they went quite well for me and they have more of a blade style I suppose ... Not much head

Yeh do you recommend golf box as being ok for fittings ect. Happy to buy a set around the 1200 mark

Not sure on GolfBox. I’ve only ever used them for online stuff.

The P790 is filled with a foam/gel to soften the feeling.

I have always preferred blades style clubs. But it’s a personal thing and you gotta find what feels good for you!

The Callaway Apex forged are a good club. Titleist T100 also.

A decent second hand set of AP2 or AP3’s would go well. If you can find them in your spec.

Looking at Golf box

My buy thoughts are this, the combination of winter and potentially further COVID-19 restrictions in the next 3 months might mean the new clubs spend a lot of time in the garage. They are only going to be cheaper in 3-6 months time, as it draws closer to 2021, there are further sales, and RRP drops over time as brands prepare for their next releases.

I plan to wait until Spring, get a fitting, and any price I would have paid now il be able to find again in Spring, if not a hundred or two cheaper.

Too add to the above

Get multiple fittings and compare.

Then wait

Too add to the above

I'd try the Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro, Cobra King Tec, Srixon Z585/Z785 for this price range.

Looking at Golf box

Get as close to a blade as you can bear. Mizuno JPX for example.
No such thing as 'longer irons' apart from the fact that manufacturers decrease the lofts compared to old clubs. "My 7 iron goes as far as my old 5 iron” That's because the new 7 has the same loft as the old 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get as close to a blade as you can bear. Mizuno JPX for example.
No such thing as 'longer irons' apart from the fact that manufacturers decrease the lofts compared to old clubs. "My 7 iron goes as far as my old 5 iron” That's because the new 7 has the same loft as the old 5.
Loft jacking plays a part for sure, but there's no doubt that tech has come a long way, not necessarily distance year on year, but over 5/10/20 years irons are hell of a lot easier to launch and go further and straighter than yesteryear.

Loft jacking plays a part for sure, but there's no doubt that tech has come a long way, not necessarily distance year on year, but over 5/10/20 years irons are hell of a lot easier to launch and go further and straighter than yesteryear.
I respectfully disagree regarding the irons and distance.
The ball however has made a huge difference.
In terms of feel, perhaps the cavity backs don't feel as bad on mishits as blades so they feel better more often than not. I'm not convinced that they actually perform any better though.

I respectfully disagree regarding the irons and distance.
The ball however has made a huge difference.
In terms of feel, perhaps the cavity backs don't feel as bad on mishits as blades so they feel better more often than not. I'm not convinced that they actually perform any better though.
I reckon the data is there. When you say "old" clubs, how old are you talking? If you're talking a few years, then sure I'll buy in to that.*

Put it this way, there's a reason that things happen at the elite level, and players of all levels continue to drive and hit longer and longer due to advances in club tech. If a golf pro took a fitted current set out, their set from 5 years ago, and their set from 15 years ago out, they're gonna be playing the best round with the current set.

The ball is absolutely a factor too, it's tech, and again, millions of dollars of R&D is spent on golf tech to get these incremental gains.

*I'm balancing all this with an agreement that marketing plays a huge impact, and year to year changes might be negligible, but there's no doubting changes over longer periods of time, such as reviewing clubs today to clubs 5,10,15,20,30 years ago. You're gonna see improvements over time.

Th
I reckon the data is there. When you say "old" clubs, how old are you talking? If you're talking a few years, then sure I'll buy in to that.*

Put it this way, there's a reason that things happen at the elite level, and players of all levels continue to drive and hit longer and longer due to advances in club tech. If a golf pro took a fitted current set out, their set from 5 years ago, and their set from 15 years ago out, they're gonna be playing the best round with the current set.

The ball is absolutely a factor too, it's tech, and again, millions of dollars of R&D is spent on golf tech to get these incremental gains.

*I'm balancing all this with an agreement that marketing plays a huge impact, and year to year changes might be negligible, but there's no doubting changes over longer periods of time, such as reviewing clubs today to clubs 5,10,15,20,30 years ago. You're gonna see improvements over time.
There's a few reasons for my opinion.
One is that RH hosted the '71 open and there's an hour long film on YouTube about it. Watching that and knowing the course, plus speaking to some old blokes who watched it live, the shots they were hitting were unbelievably long, even for today. Nicklaus easily hit 300+ yard drives. He still holds the course record!
The other is YouTube comparisons. There's marginal improvement on drivers from 20 years ago.
I would consider 'old' to be from mid 90's and back. Before Ping Eye 2's, everyone played blades. There's nothing you can really do you an iron to make it go further, short of adjusting the loft, it is what it is.

Th
There's a few reasons for my opinion.
One is that RH hosted the '71 open and there's an hour long film on YouTube about it. Watching that and knowing the course, plus speaking to some old blokes who watched it live, the shots they were hitting were unbelievably long, even for today. Nicklaus easily hit 300+ yard drives. He still holds the course record!
The other is YouTube comparisons. There's marginal improvement on drivers from 20 years ago.
I would consider 'old' to be from mid 90's and back. Before Ping Eye 2's, everyone played blades. There's nothing you can really do you an iron to make it go further, short of adjusting the loft, it is what it is.
Yeh valid, but depends on the market too. Pros have always been pros, but the distances are getting longer on average across the tour, of course there have been historic outliers. With Nicklaus, you're arguably talking about the GOAT.

Aside from tour pros, many amateurs and the bulk of the golfing market would be hitting longer with today's clubs than the old man's set from 20 years ago. Forgiveness, launch and other improvements all usually lead to greater distance for a lot of the golf market.

Do balls make a huge difference for a mid handicap player?

Im always trying to play with Titleist PV1 AND PV1x balls or the new Taylormade Apexs
I think at the end of the day, whatvver youre comfortable with in terms of looking at the ball, and $.

Better players than i can identify things like spin etc for each ball

Im always trying to play with Titleist PV1 AND PV1x balls or the new Taylormade Apexs
I reckon having the right ball for you makes a difference, but more importantly just don't have the wrong ball.

I play Callaway Supersoft, I'm not sure if it's the best ball I could be using, but it's much better than what I was previously playing.

Have a look at what the top women play. They have a similar swing speed to amateur men.
For 12+ handicap I loved Titleist Velocity balls. No super great on the green but if you have receptive greens they are great.
I play Pro V1 now but only because my swing speed is better.
If you slice the ball, I wouldn't recommend a pro level ball. Too many $$ and they'll only spin more than cheaper balls.

Yeh valid, but depends on the market too. Pros have always been pros, but the distances are getting longer on average across the tour, of course there have been historic outliers. With Nicklaus, you're arguably talking about the GOAT.

Aside from tour pros, many amateurs and the bulk of the golfing market would be hitting longer with today's clubs than the old man's set from 20 years ago. Forgiveness, launch and other improvements all usually lead to greater distance for a lot of the golf market.
I hit it further 20 years ago than I do today. That isn’t the be all an end all as I was more flexible 20 years ago. However, I’m stronger now than I was 20 years ago thanks to strengthening exercises.
Modern day clubs are easier to hit and more forgiving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back