Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

I hit it further 20 years ago than I do today. That isn’t the be all an end all as I was more flexible 20 years ago. However, I’m stronger now than I was 20 years ago thanks to strengthening exercises.
Modern day clubs are easier to hit and more forgiving.
Im turning 30 this year, only took up the game over the last 12 months or so, think I played my first round in about October. Im still hoping I've got many years in my body to play good golf if I can get good enough, but will absolutely use the distance clubs to advantage.

Im turning 30 this year, only took up the game over the last 12 months or so, think I played my first round in about October. Im still hoping I've got many years in my body to play good golf if I can get good enough, but will absolutely use the distance clubs to advantage.

I think I hit a decent ball.
But golf course management is my key to low scores.
Quite often on a 330metre par 4 I'll hit a 4iron off the tee, leaving hopefully a full 8 or 9 iron into the green.
Previous look at me style was belt driver as hard/ far as I could

Fairways and greens is so much better

I think I hit a decent ball.
But golf course management is my key to low scores.
Quite often on a 330metre par 4 I'll hit a 4iron off the tee, leaving hopefully a full 8 or 9 iron into the green.
Previous look at me style was belt driver as hard/ far as I could

Fairways and greens is so much better
I got the Golf Now app which tracks my shots. I'm surprised to learn that that under 100m I hit the green 59% of the time, but 100-125m it's 75%. So I'm far better off with a PW or 9i than SW. I've definitely changed my game to suit.

I got the Golf Now app which tracks my shots. I'm surprised to learn that that under 100m I hit the green 59% of the time, but 100-125m it's 75%. So I'm far better off with a PW or 9i than SW. I've definitely changed my game to suit.

Thats interseting. So youre saying you're better off having a 100-125m shot in right? Great work. I once spoke to rachel hetherington whom advised to work back from the hole. Hit your best or fave club in.

Also, if i tracked my shots (used to when first started but found it took too much time from my enjoyment) and especially % into the green id be butting or bump and runnin when i can just so to get ball on green

Thats interseting. So youre saying you're better off having a 100-125m shot in right? Great work. I once spoke to rachel hetherington whom advised to work back from the hole. Hit your best or fave club in.

Also, if i tracked my shots (used to when first started but found it took too much time from my enjoyment) and especially % into the green id be butting or bump and runnin when i can just so to get ball on green
Screenshot_2020-04-10-18-55-23.jpg Screenshot_2020-04-10-18-55-34.jpg
Exactly that. See attached screenshots from the app.
It also means if I have say 250m+ on a par 5 or short par 4, I play the hole to have those clubs in. If 250 is the number, it's interesting. I'll hit 2x 9irons, the 1st is almost a free practice shot for the 2nd. I use a rangefinder so I'm pretty aware of the distances I have infront of me.

View attachment 855684View attachment 855685
It also means if I have say 250m+ on a par 5 or short par 4, I play the hole to have those clubs in. If 250 is the number, it's interesting. I'll hit 2x 9irons, the 1st is almost a free practice shot for the 2nd. I use a rangefinder so I'm pretty aware of the distances I have infront of me.
spot on darce.
zap the flag, divide by two or three or whatever.

View attachment 855684View attachment 855685
Is that a free app? do you have to log every shot and the GPS collects the data?

What's the best app for distances into the green crew? I live in Perth

For those that would prefer to put $200 into a new putter or wedge instead of a range finder

What's the best app for distances into the green crew? I live in Perth

For those that would prefer to put $200 into a new putter or wedge instead of a range finder
I recommend range finder, unless you already gave one.

how is your comfort level with your putter, sand, gap, lob and pitching wedges?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t even need an app to tell me that I’m the same. My stats under about 80m would be worse. Work to be done.

If I’m playing a Par 5 and I can’t reach the green in two, I’ll hit an iron that leaves my third shot at least 90m out. I usually aim for about the PW-9 iron distance though.

If I’m playing a Par 5 and I can’t reach the green in two, I’ll hit an iron that leaves my third shot at least 90m out. I usually aim for about the PW-9 iron distance though.
I wouldn't be against hitting three 6/7 irons in a row on a par 5

Smart, sensible golf. We all know we should do that. Obvisouly in some cases into the wind, or over a ravine, or 160m from the tee is a steep uphill meaning you conceivably could end up landing 150 then resulting at 100m from the tee. They are things to consider.

But yes overall, what you've both said is cerebral golf

Smart, sensible golf. We all know we should do that. Obvisouly in some cases into the wind, or over a ravine, or 160m from the tee is a steep uphill meaning you conceivably could end up landing 150 then resulting at 100m from the tee. They are things to consider.

But yes overall, what you've both said is cerebral golf

Correct, they're important factors.

My mindset on golf has changed a lot recently. Par/bogey are good scores for amateurs like myself, and playing three 7 irons could be the best and most consistent way of getting it on the green as soon as possible. I could launch a driver 250 with another 200m shot in, but the odds of pulling that off consistently aren't as high as going the safe iron route.

We play to have fun, this isn't our job. Pars and bogeys are fine. It would be nice to be like DJ and rip a driver, wedge it close and tap in a putt but there's a reason why the pros play like that.

My mindset on golf has changed a lot recently. Par/bogey are good scores for amateurs like myself, and playing three 7 irons could be the best and most consistent way of getting it on the green as soon as possible. I could launch a driver 250 with another 200m shot in, but the odds of pulling that off consistently aren't as high as going the safe iron route.

We play to have fun, this isn't our job. Pars and bogeys are fine. It would be nice to be like DJ and rip a driver, wedge it close and tap in a putt but there's a reason why the pros play like that.
id also take a double.

Another important thing is always give yourself a par putt. If your par 4 tee shot finds the rough, take the highest% shot out, hit the 3rd to the middle of the green and hope you make par, settle for bogey. Trying to hit that magic 2nd shot rarely gives you a birdie putt and will often lead to double bogey.

Does anyone use the Volvik Vivid balls?

I’m an amateur in the true sense of the word but I seem to be able to hit them straighter, although have lost a couple of yards of distance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As my little one was growing up I used to take him to pitch and putt a fair bit...tiny greens and all holes were 40 to 60m in length. Those shots are now burnt in my muscle memory. 56 degree wedge and play them back in my stance a bit with weight more on my left foot (right hander). Cannot recommend it highly enough. Get yourself a handicap..takes about an hr and a bit....oh and my only ace I got happened there but it doesn't really count lol.

Another important thing is always give yourself a par putt. If your par 4 tee shot finds the rough, take the highest% shot out, hit the 3rd to the middle of the green and hope you make par, settle for bogey. Trying to hit that magic 2nd shot rarely gives you a birdie putt and will often lead to double bogey.

Also there's a well known thing that happens in golf. From birdie to bogey. bird the hole, bogey the next....OR go for the bird, end up with a boge.

Does anyone use the Volvik Vivid balls?

I’m an amateur in the true sense of the word but I seem to be able to hit them straighter, although have lost a couple of yards of distance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, only if i find them in the trees and use it as a provy. I have some marvel ones i keep.

if they work for you, keep on using them!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back