Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey question for those with travel bags/covers.

Looking at heading to QLD for a week a little later in the winter, and wanting to get in a few rounds of golf.

I've looked at travel bags/covers, and they seem to come into two types.

1. Soft/hard shell cases that go over your existing bag/clubs.

2. Hybrid bags that are like cart bags but with a cover basically.

3. Cheaper, smaller almost like range bags with a shoulder strap and would just house the clubs only with no dividers, and then maybe wrap the irons in bubble wrap?.

Anyone travelled or use a travel bag with any advice?

Looking at heading to QLD for a week a little later in the winter, and wanting to get in a few rounds of golf.

3. Cheaper, smaller almost like range bags with a shoulder strap and would just house the clubs only with no dividers, and then maybe wrap the irons in bubble wrap?.

If budget permits, go hard.

I had a softish one. The back was hardish, side and front soft. Wheels on the bottom.

With your clubs, group them together, tight. Wrap towels, clothes around them to provide cushion. People say take the driver head off, i have never done that and survived.

So after bunching the club, wrapping them up I insert the stiff arm. purpose of this is if something hits the bag from the top/above, the stiff arm takes the brunt of the force.

club-glove-stiff-arm-impact-absorption-device-318.jpg

Then zip the rain hood up so its all enclosed. Your aim is to ensure the clubs cannot move as best as possible.

Put the bag into the travel bag. Now chuck things like shoes in. Good luck

Peternorth has described exactly how my clubs fly

I’m sure this might have been asked previously however I’ll ask it again so apologies, I’m looking at getting some new clubs (driver, hybrid and irons) and was thinking of doing it properly and getting fitted for them, I’m in NE Vic so closest golf shop is a Drummond Golf (50mins away) and was wondering if anyone has used Drummond and what the experience was like or am I better off waiting till I get to Melb at some point and using someone down there?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Club glove are what I use for all domestic and international travel. Hard cover is obviously the safest but can’t easily be stored. So long as you get the pole thing you should be good. As an added level of protection I always unscrew any removable heads.

I remember Golf box were doing a further 10% off for joining as a member (new email after new email) - but have taken this away now

But Drummond Golf are giving a further 10% off can get the adjustable SIM driver for ~$640 at the moment if any interested

I’m sure this might have been asked previously however I’ll ask it again so apologies, I’m looking at getting some new clubs (driver, hybrid and irons) and was thinking of doing it properly and getting fitted for them, I’m in NE Vic so closest golf shop is a Drummond Golf (50mins away) and was wondering if anyone has used Drummond and what the experience was like or am I better off waiting till I get to Melb at some point and using someone down there?
Handicap? Are you having regular lessons?

In my opinion you are best off getting fitted by the pro who is teaching you. You will get fit for clubs based on the action your pro is trying to get you to make.

Drummond Golf will fit you to a set designed to work in with and minimise the effect of your existing swing flaws.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm getting a new set of fitted irons in the Spring, will be my first set after my cheap off the rack full bag beginner set.

I've had a mate who went with Drummond.
Drummond use MiMatch, which is effectively a program that uses data to fit your swing. So they'll look at your height, swing speed, wrist to floor, etc. and then the computer will spit out a few shafts (with length & lie recommendations) and you'll hit them with a few different club heads and it takes around half hour and whichever you like the best you'll buy.

A clubfitter will do all that too, but they'll spend a bit more time, and have the experience that they will know a bit more about your actual swing by watching you and the ball flight data and their experience, etc.

Both would be fine for the average golfer, but the difference is a club fitter's job is to fit clubs and they do that every day. The Drummond fitting is done by a trained sales rep, who's basically a retail store worker. They might have good advice, but their job isn't to fit clubs, it's to sell clubs.

Club glove are what I use for all domestic and international travel. Hard cover is obviously the safest but can’t easily be stored. So long as you get the pole thing you should be good. As an added level of protection I always unscrew any removable heads.
Peternorth has described exactly how my clubs fly
If budget permits, go hard.

I had a softish one. The back was hardish, side and front soft. Wheels on the bottom.

With your clubs, group them together, tight. Wrap towels, clothes around them to provide cushion. People say take the driver head off, i have never done that and survived.

So after bunching the club, wrapping them up I insert the stiff arm. purpose of this is if something hits the bag from the top/above, the stiff arm takes the brunt of the force.

club-glove-stiff-arm-impact-absorption-device-318.jpg

Then zip the rain hood up so its all enclosed. Your aim is to ensure the clubs cannot move as best as possible.

Put the bag into the travel bag. Now chuck things like shoes in. Good luck

Yeh fair enough, I was in 2 minds, because I'll probably only fly with clubs maybe once a year and didn't want to spend a lot. But I guess it's like good luggage, if you spend a bit more initially on something decent, it's potentially the only purchase I'll ever have to make and the $300 bag will last the rest of my life rather than a $100 bag that's not as good.

Yeh fair enough, I was in 2 minds, because I'll probably only fly with clubs maybe once a year and didn't want to spend a lot. But I guess it's like good luggage, if you spend a bit more initially on something decent, it's potentially the only purchase I'll ever have to make and the $300 bag will last the rest of my life rather than a $100 bag that's not as good.
Are you in Melbourne?
Depending on when your going I'll happily lend you my travel bag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you in Melbourne?
Depending on when your going I'll happily lend you my travel bag
I'm in Melbourne yeh, the plan is heading to QLD in July/Aug/Sep (nothing booked yet).

If anything I'd rent it off you for a weekend! People are very generous but I'd want them to get something back in return

Just out of fun I just ran a quick set of eBay numbers on what it would cost to buy a second hand set of clubs mimicking Jordan Spieth's set he used to win the 2015 Masters.

Driver (915 D2) = $250
FW (915 F) = $150
Hybrid (915 HD) = $65
Irons (AP2 914) = $500
Wedges (SM5) = $170

Shopping around you'd get the whole set for under $1000, all fully adjustable and would be an ideal set to get you to a +8 handicap if you were good enough.

Not that anyone does this of course.

I'm in Melbourne yeh, the plan is heading to QLD in July/Aug/Sep (nothing booked yet).

If anything I'd rent it off you for a weekend! People are very generous but I'd want them to get something back in return
Sleeve of balls is rental 🤣🤣

A wristy or if you're feeling adventurous a bj should cover it.

Have a look at your local golf shop, it will help you get an idea as to whats out there and packaging/prtection wise

Just about ready to sell the putter and get a fitting for a new one.

Spent a couple of hours mucking around on a local practice green today, could not get near the hole, and when I did I'd lip out or miss putts less than 3 feet way too often. Caused me to keep changing things up and nothing seems to work.

It's not totally the putter, but the one I use just doesn't feel right for me, never really has and it's been a consistent problem since I got it. Not sure it's the right height or grip for me either. Last time I ever buy a putter off the rack after rolling it a couple of times on the carpet at the store....

Just about ready to sell the putter and get a fitting for a new one.

Spent a couple of hours mucking around on a local practice green today, could not get near the hole, and when I did I'd lip out or miss putts less than 3 feet way too often. Caused me to keep changing things up and nothing seems to work.

It's not totally the putter, but the one I use just doesn't feel right for me, never really has and it's been a consistent problem since I got it. Not sure it's the right height or grip for me either. Last time I ever buy a putter off the rack after rolling it a couple of times on the carpet at the store....
What putter are you getting rid of?

Nice club, what's next?
I'll sell this one, then get a fitting for the next one. I really couldn't care what I end up with (budget permitting) just want to make sure it suits my posture, grip, height, stroke and feels good.

I bought this one off the rack and it hasn't fit me well in the 6 or so months I've used it.

I'll sell this one, then get a fitting for the next one. I really couldn't care what I end up with (budget permitting) just want to make sure it suits my posture, grip, height, stroke and feels good.

I bought this one off the rack and it hasn't fit me well in the 6 or so months I've used it.
fitting is a great idea. do shops do it though?

I got mine fitted and cut down at the club

Most Drummond shops you'll get a lesson indirectly as you try many putters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back