Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s everyone’s thoughts on getting fitted for clubs? If a higher handicapper around the 20 mark?

I’ve been hesitating pulling the trigger on new clubs mainly because still working on the swing but can’t help but feel my clubs just aren’t right for me .. which doesn’t give a lot of confidence when standing over a ball. In particular my driver I know isn’t right , can’t hit a fairway with it . Tried my dads old driver and instant improvement .

Thought about maybe trying driver fitting first , then after a while try irons.

Can anyone share their fitting experience and the results ?

100% get fit

doesn't matter if you are a scratch or 36 handicapper.

it is worth the money and usually if you buy a set of clubs the fitting is free.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on getting fitted for clubs? If a higher handicapper around the 20 mark?

I’ve been hesitating pulling the trigger on new clubs mainly because still working on the swing but can’t help but feel my clubs just aren’t right for me .. which doesn’t give a lot of confidence when standing over a ball. In particular my driver I know isn’t right , can’t hit a fairway with it . Tried my dads old driver and instant improvement .

Agree with Pres on this one as technique is everything I believe...but

If you are going to buy clubs...it is better for them to be fitted than just buying a nice looking set off the rack.

100% get fit

it is worth the money and usually if you buy a set of clubs the fitting is free.
Agree with Pres on this one as technique is everything I believe...but

If you are going to buy clubs...it is better for them to be fitted than just buying a nice looking set off the rack.

I was fitted for the Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals. When I went to pay for them, they rang Mizuno Australia who said there was no more stock in the JPX 919’s. The replacement isn’t due out until February 2021. However, Mizuno is trying to push this forward to September or October this year.
So I went for the same fittings in the Cleveland Launcher UHX irons 4 to GW straight off the rack from Golfbox.

When are you expecting them to arrive? Must be excited!

As most of you know I got Callaway irons fitted last year. I recently had a chipping lesson and the pro wanted me to use 8 or 7 iron a lot when I could to basically putt with them. It is so hard as the ball comes off hot on the face...like a bloody trampoline! I have sweet FA feel with it (I am getting better and have made a few up and downs).

If this is a shot that I play from here on in...I would have mentioned in fitting I need something that gives me better feel.

Fitting pro was taking into account I am in my fifties and not amazing shape....and things will get harder as time goes on. Wanted to give me a club that gave me distance as my body movement becomes a bit limited.

Scrappy and Lebbo - at a summary level what were the specs spat out via your fitting sessions? Particularly lie and length of clubs.
s**t, I struggle to remember that stuff. I struggle for distance but I know with the 7 iron I was getting 150m carry and 5m of run. The spin rate was 6500 to 7000rpm. I've always got good launch and spin so I went for distance irons.

I struggle for distance but I know with the 7 iron I was getting 150m carry and 5m of run.
That's near PGA Tour level distance

Scrappy and Lebbo - at a summary level what were the specs spat out via your fitting sessions? Particularly lie and length of clubs.
My irons are shorter than standard in length. I am 5 foot 6 in height. I have been fitted twice in the last 12 years (2008 and 2019)....and both times the lie angle was 3 degree upright. I have always been on the slower end for club head speed...first fitted clubs were Titleist 755...Dynamic Gold R300. This time....Callaway Apex19 cf19 with ProjectX LZ 5.5/115g shafts.

The Driver fitting (and I also got a 4 wood) surprised me a bit...Titleist TS2 but with a Tensia Blue Stiff flex shaft. Stiff shafts have never felt good for me..especially early days. Maybe the technology has changed to a point where I am suited. If I put a good swing on it I get a very good result....If I don't, well we all know what happens then..technique is everything.

Last edited:
15 years ago I used to hit my 7 irons 150m without even trying. Now I struggle as the body looses its flex.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My irons are shorter than standard in length. I am 5 foot 6 in height. I have been fitted twice in the last 12 years (2008 and 2019)....and both times the lie angle was 3 degree upright. I have always been on the slower end for club head speed...first fitted clubs were Titleist 755...Dynamic Gold R300. This time....Callaway Apex19 cf19 with ProjectX LZ 5.5/115g shafts.

The Driver fitting (and I also got a 4 wood) surprised me a bit...Titleist TS2 but with a Tensia Blue Stiff flex shaft. Stiff shafts have never felt good for me..especially early days. Maybe the technology has changed to a point where I am suited.
My swing speed with the 7 iron was 83mph.

My swing speed with the 7 iron was 83mph.
Mine would be late 70s. Having said that there are days where I am confident to hit my new 7 irons 150 plus...they come off the club face hot as I said. If you look at the lofts of some of these new clubs...7 would be more like a six from years back though.

My irons are shorter than standard in length. I am 5 foot 6 in height. I have been fitted twice in the last 12 years (2008 and 2019)....and both times the lie angle was 3 degree upright.
I have no idea why clubfitters do this. And it's the main reason I never go through this shambolic process anymore.

Mine would be late 70s. Having said that there are days where I am confident to hit my new 7 irons 150 plus...they come off the club face hot as I said. If you look at the lofts of some of these new clubs...7 would be more like a six from years back though.
Yeah, my Callaway Big Bertha 7 iron I bought back in late 2004 probably had 34 degrees of loft. These game improvement irons today have the 7 iron at 30 degrees.

Last edited:
7 Iron is 160 metres 150ish with a fade, 165+ with a big draw (possibly no control tho)

I have no idea why clubfitters do this. And it's the main reason I never go through this shambolic process anymore.
I guess they would say that if your club is not level to the ground at impact it will have an effect where your ball finishes...so..as a golfer you make incorrect adjustments to make it go straight (I suspect you already know this).

Are you coming from the angle...make correct swing adjustments to get the club flat at impact? Makes sense too if you can achieve it.

If you video my swing looking at the target, my hands start on shaft plane but at impact are closer to shoulder plane. It was like this in 1990, 2000 and still to this day are like this. I find it very hard to change some things.

I am also very wary of club fitting...the fitter has to recommend something. You could be having a bad day, just like it happens on course, you might be anxious....he might give you a trial combination and it feels bad and you find it hard to get rhythm again. You might be having a really good day, and that might not be a true reflection of where you are at. Also when you get the results...are they recommending clubs they have higher profit margins on? or they get along really well with the rep from that company....who knows.

Maybe in a perfect world fitting should be done by your teaching pro that knows your capabilities over a period. But I am not sure the teaching pro is all over the equipment like a fitter as it is all pretty advanced and constantly changing.

Anyway really value your thoughts and love your input.

I understand the comments around swing being more important , certainly no one expects to go from a high hc to low just because if clubs . But mine were picked off the rack 7 years ago, likely the wrong shaft, shaft length, lie angles lofts etc etc for my swing why should I not have the right equipment that’s suited to my game?

I’d suggest it’s nearly more beneficial for a high handicapper to have the right fit for them . Of course a pro could pick mine up and shoot 60s that’s why they’re the pro .

I’ve been hitting my driver for 7 years could never control it. Tried my old mans old driver recently, shorter shaft, more weight in the head helping me square it quicker. I’ve gained considerably more accuracy with it to the point I’m becoming confident I’ll find the fairway most drives . Tells me the right equipment for your game does make a difference .

100% get fit

Any suggestions on how to pick a fitter ? I’ve seen places offer it but for a high price and for that you’d want to make sure the fitting experience is a good one !

I guess they would say that if your club is not level to the ground at impact it will have an effect where your ball finishes...so..as a golfer you make incorrect adjustments to make it go straight (I suspect you already know this).

Are you coming from the angle...make correct swing adjustments to get the club flat at impact? Makes sense too if you can achieve it.

If you video my swing looking at the target, my hands start on shaft plane but at impact are closer to shoulder plane. It was like this in 1990, 2000 and still to this day are like this. I find it very hard to change some things.

I am also very wary of club fitting...the fitter has to recommend something. You could be having a bad day, just like it happens on course, you might be anxious....he might give you a trial combination and it feels bad and you find it hard to get rhythm again. You might be having a really good day, and that might not be a true reflection of where you are at. Also when you get the results...are they recommending clubs they have higher profit margins on? or they get along really well with the rep from that company....who knows.

Maybe in a perfect world fitting should be done by your teaching pro that knows your capabilities over a period. But I am not sure the teaching pro is all over the equipment like a fitter as it is all pretty advanced and constantly changing.

Anyway really value your thoughts and love your input.
My local Pro only wants me to buy the left handed gear he actually has in stock. 🤬

Remove this Banner Ad

Back