Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

In social golf or just having a hit, pretty much play whatever I pull out of my bag. As a way of comparing balls if nothing else. Play it until you lose it. For competitive rounds, a sleeve of whatever ball I've decided to by a box of most recently. Currently Tour Speed. I'm pretty sure in competitive golf you need to replace a lost/damaged ball with the same ball make/model. I could be wrong but that's why I have a sleeve of new balls to play with.

can use any ball during a comp round. doesnt matter. swap it to a different ball or brand after each hole. ok.

Speaking of balls, what are your thoughts of color ones? Yay or Nay?

All balls are coloured. White is a colour. All coloured balls matter

I’m not sure if you’re taking the piss - it isn’t rocket science. Maybe I should have been more specific - club face angle in relation to club path.

You could have a big in to out swing for example. What happens to the ball is dictated by the relative face angle. If path matches face angle you’re going to get a might big straight push. If the face is closed in relation to the path the ball (ie: a square club face) the ball will have side spin that curves it right to left.

It’s not too dissimilar to how a soccer player curls a free kick.

View attachment 1173596

thats a good pic!

can use any ball during a comp round. doesnt matter. swap it to a different ball or brand after each hole. ok.

All balls are coloured. White is a colour. All coloured balls matter
Maybe on a hole you have to replace with the same? Preventing maybe a distance ball off of the tee then a spinning ball for approach.

Maybe on a hole you have to replace with the same? Preventing maybe a distance ball off of the tee then a spinning ball for approach.
Swapping a ball mid hole incurs a penalty.
Your effectively declaring it gone and the penalty means you can play any ball you like

no. even in club comps and board events where i play its permitted. i mean you lose a ball off the tee (say a prov1), you only have AVXs in the bag. take that out and play it.

Last edited:
I moved closer to the ball on every shot today. This resulted in better flexibility and club head speed in my swing. I also had better balance and hit a draw for most of my social round. Impact through the ball was a lot better with no fat shots. There was some miss hits and hooks as I got used to the adjustment. Practice needed to imbed it obviously.

Tend to get between 18-36 holes per ball.

Avoiding bunkers is key. Absolutely ruins them.
Maybe it makes more difference to the good player than the high capper like me. I will literally play a ball until I lose it.
Mind you, that is rarely more than about 10-15 holes.

I've never had to replace a ball due to noticing a drop in performance though, even on some that have sat in the bag for weeks across different rounds.

On a good day of 9, I won't need more than a ball. On a bad day through 18, particularly if the course has heaps of trees/bushes/long grass/water I could easily lose 3-4 balls a round.

The worst part is losing it on consecutive tee shots. Slice one into the forest, play a provisional, end up slicing that deeper into the forest, etc. It's happened to me a number of times....

A couple of times I've pulled out a new ball from a sleeve and stone cold topped it into the lake near the tee lol

Last edited:
Maybe it makes more difference to the good player than the high capper like me. I will literally play a ball until I lose it.
Mind you, that is rarely more than about 10-15 holes.

I've never had to replace a ball due to noticing a drop in performance though, even on some that have sat in the bag for weeks across different rounds.

On a good day of 9, I won't need more than a ball. On a bad day through 18, particularly if the course has heaps of trees/bushes/long grass/water I could easily lose 3-4 balls a round.

The worst part is losing it on consecutive tee shots. Slice one into the forest, play a provisional, end up slicing that deeper into the forest, etc. It's happened to me a number of times....

A couple of times I've pulled out a new ball from a sleeve and stone cold topped it into the lake near the tee lol
life of a golfer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really having a tough time to work out what I want to do with top end of my bag. Currently go Driver, 5w, 4-gw.

Ideally want to get 3w and hybrid in exchange or 5w and 4i in there but not hitting the one 3w i own well enough at the moment. I own like 3-4 hybrids but either don't hit them well enough or they're a bad distance for the gaps i want to fill.

Lockdown sucks when something like this is constantly in the back of your mind but you can't head to the course/range and work things out. Instead I'm just browsing the internet for bargain clubs haha.

Really having a tough time to work out what I want to do with top end of my bag. Currently go Driver, 5w, 4-gw.

Ideally want to get 3w and hybrid in exchange or 5w and 4i in there but not hitting the one 3w i own well enough at the moment. I own like 3-4 hybrids but either don't hit them well enough or they're a bad distance for the gaps i want to fill.

Lockdown sucks when something like this is constantly in the back of your mind but you can't head to the course/range and work things out. Instead I'm just browsing the internet for bargain clubs haha.
My personal theory. I carry a strong 3wood, 2 iron and the 4 iron down with 4 wedges. 3w is for max distance off the deck for par 5's. 2 iron is my 200m club and my magic wand for under trees, getting out of rough etc. 4i is about 180m. I don't get too hung up on the distance gaps because my reality is even if I carried a 3i for 190m the chances of me a) actually having a 190m shot in any round of golf b) hitting it perfectly straight and c) hitting exactly the distance, are rare. If Ive 190m in, I hit a 2i flush and I'm 10-20m from the pin, that's a pretty good outcome from that distance. The 3i really isn't going to make my score that much better. So maybe think it's 3w and driving Iron? I love a 5w but the backfoot low punch of my 2i I love even more.
I focus on the wedges. I carry PW-110m, 52-100m, 56-85m and 60-70m. I have a 3/4 swing for these clubs for the inbetween distance shots. I'm much more likely to hit these the distance I think I will than the long clubs.A PW might (rarely) go 115m, maybe 105m but then I've only missed by 5m.
I find I have these shots much more often than the 180-210m range. Unless you're playing the Peninsula courses off of the Blacks. I'm sure the guys playing The National off of the Black's and in the wind would need the longer club's because you are playing several 400m+ par 4s which will be leaving you 170m+ 2nd shots. But I'd still be hitting what I've got and hoping my short game holds up.
I've tried all sorts of clubs to replace my 2i but have never found anything 'better'. Not for the $300+ they're charging anyhow.
That's my thinking. Hope it helps!

I currently hit driver, 3 wood, 3-4 hybrid and then irons.
Hardly use the 3 wood, 3 hybrid is great for 180-200m out and even chipping sometimes if it's a s**t lie.
A 5w might get more height than a hybrid for a softer landing but I've never tried one.
I used to carry a lot of wedges but have culled some so now it's PW (48 deg), 52 (inside 100m) and 60 (bunkers only usually). They're precision clubs and I don't worry about power or distance as such

7W and hybrid

Lofts?
Distances used?

I have a mate with a similar set up

No 4W but 2iron
I've got an old TaylorMade Rescue Mid hybrid that's 25deg so it plays how i imagine a 7wood would play.

It only adds to my problems because i absolutely love the club, great out of the rough and a true fairway finder for those times when you can't afford to miss. I just wish it went a little further. At the moment I probably hit my 6i further than it so it's hard to justify putting it in the bag.

Driver Titleist TS2 9.5 Tensai Blue
4 wood Titleist TS2 16.5 Tensai Blue
4 iron to PW Callaway Apex19s (4 iron 21 degree loft...PW 43 degree)
AW Callaway Apex19s (48 degree)
52 Titleist sm6 8 degree bounce f grind (least liked club I own)
56 Titleist sm56 10 degree bounce. (favourite club in bag)
60 Titleist sm6 8 degree bounce m grind
Putter odyssey 2 ball putter or old Ping Anser 5ks (very unusual design....rare)

Driver Titleist TS2 9.5 Tensai Blue
4 wood Titleist TS2 16.5 Tensai Blue
4 iron to PW Callaway Apex19s (4 iron 21 degree loft...PW 43 degree)
AW Callaway Apex19s (48 degree)
52 Titleist sm6 8 degree bounce f grind (least liked club I own)
56 Titleist sm56 10 degree bounce. (favourite club in bag)
60 Titleist sm6 8 degree bounce m grind
Putter odyssey 2 ball putter or old Ping Anser 5ks (very unusual design....rare)
5 wedges..

I wish I could use my wedges that accurately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back