Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got an old TaylorMade Rescue Mid hybrid that's 25deg so it plays how i imagine a 7wood would play.

It only adds to my problems because i absolutely love the club, great out of the rough and a true fairway finder for those times when you can't afford to miss. I just wish it went a little further. At the moment I probably hit my 6i further than it so it's hard to justify putting it in the bag.
Found the same hybrid going cheap on ebay but with less loft, bought it and tried it at the range just before. Very happy with it for a 20 year old club lol, think I'm onto a winner, will replace my 4i.

So I'll go

Driver
5w
4h
5-GW
Putter

I carry a beginner set + some additional stuff I've bought.

Driver
4H
5H
6,7,8,9i
PW
Putter

On any given round I wouldn't use all the clubs in the bag though. Most versatile is the 8i for me, short par 3 tee shots, approach shots, pitches, and fringe of the green low bump and runs.

Mine's a pretty stock standard setup:

Driver
3 Wood
3 Hybrid/2 Iron
4-PW
Putter

The 3 Hybrid/2 Iron is the spot that's in danger; thinking of getting a 5/7 Wood. If I go 7 Wood, depending on gapping, may go 4 Wood to replace 3 Wood. Also thinking about replacing set 4 Iron with a Utility 4 Iron.

Can someone give me advice on "Woods"?

With general clubs it's pretty easy, it's basically 1 (driver) - 9 for distance.

But I see people talking about a 3W, 5W, 7W, etc. How do you get the equivalent to what it would be in an iron or hybrid?

E.g. where would a 5W or 7W generally fit in the bag and what does it replace?

With general clubs it's pretty easy, it's basically 1 (driver) - 9 for distance.

But I see people talking about a 3W, 5W, 7W, etc. How do you get the equivalent to what it would be in an iron or hybrid?

I think 5w is your 2/3 iron,18-20 degrees? So a 7w would be like a 4i.

It comes down to lofts and ball flight/trajectory.

5 Wood, 3 Hybrid and 3 Iron are all about 19 degrees. 3 iron will be a flatter flight, 5 Wood and 3 Hybrid should give you a higher ball flight and more forgiving, iron generally goes straighter, though.

I'm just want to say that hitting 2i or 3i out of the middle is the reason I play golf. There's nothing like the feeling of hitting a long iron off the deck or into a tough par 3. As a teenager I loved my 5w so I know they're good. But a good long iron is one of the most impressive shots to hit and the most fun. They fell, look and sound so good.

It comes down to lofts and ball flight/trajectory.

5 Wood, 3 Hybrid and 3 Iron are all about 19 degrees. 3 iron will be a flatter flight, 5 Wood and 3 Hybrid should give you a higher ball flight and more forgiving, iron generally goes straighter, though.

Pretty much this. 5 wood should give you the highest flight/softest landing, 3 iron lowest flight with more roll.

Some might also prefer the bigger head of a 5W at address

Anyone know anything about or play with MD Golf superstrong str30 irons. They look like they fit the bill for me as a player aiming to get down in to the low 90s. There are very few reviews and all of them are positive. A modern set of clubs for under $500 are hard to come by, these are $299.

Anyone know anything about or play with MD Golf superstrong str30 irons. They look like they fit the bill for me as a player aiming to get down in to the low 90s. There are very few reviews and all of them are positive. A modern set of clubs for under $500 are hard to come by, these are $299.
Haven't heard of them but having bought one of those beginner cheap sets before and having a golf teaching pro knock them around a bit you'll be able to shoot that score for sure if you're good enough.

The only thing you'll be missing is the off the rack vs fitted for you factor.

They're probably fine but maybe consider taking a look on facebook marketplace, ebay, gumtree etc as I'm sure you could find a decent set of used name brand clubs for under $500. They might not be as shiny and new but they'll do the same job and hold their value better if you're even looking to re-sell them.

Callaway edge...from Costco get a surprisingly good review from Rick Shiels.....but they are up on the price you are spending. (the putter is a Odyssey White hot with a SuperStroke grip...worth a few $100 on its own). That's the direction I would be going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Callaway edge...from Costco get a surprisingly good review from Rick Shiels.....but they are up on the price you are spending. (the putter is a Odyssey White hot with a SuperStroke grip...worth a few $100 on its own). That's the direction I would be going.
I have a decent driver and putter. My current irons are 2012 TaylorMade superlaunch game improvement irons but the graphite shaft doesn't suit my swing. I might do a flip and buy for a late model 2018-2019 set of name clubs, but just like cars used clubs are going at a premium. Everything I read about Callaway edge is positive but I can't justify spending that money given I already have a couple of decent clubs.

woods and hybrids are interchangeable IMO. It all comes down to how you hit any of them, irons, hybrids, woods.

for example, i carried a 23 deg hybrid before and it went around 200. it is gone now and replaced with 2 woods, 16 and 23w

in terms of replacement, i fell hybrids dont necessarily replace longer irons as they have differeent flight paths, if you wanna get technical.

In simple terms however for the average golfer like all of us here, think of Hs replacing longer irons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back