Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Been looking around at iron sets recently and shocked at how many retailers go 5-PW for sets. Then you take a closer look and realise the PW is like 42* leaving a massive gap to the typical wedge setup of most people with the next club often coming in at around that 52* mark.

Then of course you can buy that gap wedge separately for $200 on top of the $1000+ they're already asking you to spend.

Been looking around at iron sets recently and shocked at how many retailers go 5-PW for sets. Then you take a closer look and realise the PW is like 42* leaving a massive gap to the typical wedge setup of most people with the next club often coming in at around that 52* mark.

Then of course you can buy that gap wedge separately for $200 on top of the $1000+ they're already asking you to spend.
Think of the level of golfer buying retail off the rack though. Probably don't need a full bag with perfect gapping as a casual/social golfer.

Better or more serious players I'd expect a custom fitted setup.

I'm due for new clubs and setup will likely be:

Driver - 10.5*
3WHL - 16.5*
7W - 20.5*
Utility Iron (4) - 23*
5-P w/ 45* PW
GW - 50*
SW - 54*
LW - 58*/60*

I love the idea of a utility in place of a set 4 iron. Higher launch and easier to hit.

I'm due for new clubs and setup will likely be:

Driver - 10.5*
3WHL - 16.5*
7W - 20.5*
Utility Iron (4) - 23*
5-P w/ 45* PW
GW - 50*
SW - 54*
LW - 58*/60*

I love the idea of a utility in place of a set 4 iron. Higher launch and easier to hit.

I use a titleist driving iron as my 4i - super easy to pure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tax return was bigger than what I thought it was going to be so treated myself to just about a full new bag:

Driver - Titleist TSi3 w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ
4 Wood - Titleist TSi2 w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI
7 Wood - Titleist TSi2 w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI
4 Utility Iron - Srixon ZX w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 95
Irons (5-P) - Miura CB-301 w/ Oban CT 115
Putter - Cutsom Lajosi PROTO

Kept my wedges :tearsofjoy:

Tax return was bigger than what I thought it was going to be so treated myself to just about a full new bag:

Nice...I know Kari Lajosi....My kid plays footy with his son and I have been involved with coaching that group for quite a few years as an assistant.

Nice...I know Kari Lajosi....My kid plays footy with his son and I have been involved with coaching that group for quite a few years as an assistant.
A good man to know. His putters are exquisite and a quarter of the price of custom ordering through a company in the US. I can't wait for mine to arrive. Order placed a bit over a month ago so hopefully it's here for Christmas. I was expecting a 8-12 week wait.

A good man to know. His putters are exquisite and a quarter of the price of custom ordering through a company in the US. I can't wait for mine to arrive. Order placed a bit over a month ago so hopefully it's here for Christmas. I was expecting a 8-12 week wait.
Have you used one before from him? Just interested to know how to select a putter without having a roll with one to see how it feels, that would be the hardest thing in getting one I guess....I'll shoot him a message and tell him to get a move on with Wally Walpamur's putter. :laughing: The Damascus electric blue look sweet.

Last edited:
Have you used one before from him? Just interested to know how to select a putter without having a roll with one to see how it feels, that would be the hardest thing in getting one I guess....I'll shoot him a message and tell him to get a move on with Wally Walpamur's putter. :laughing:
:tearsofjoy: Thanks!

I have not rolled one of his but I've pretty much based it off a Scotty Cameron T22 Teryllium Fastback 1.5 with afew more personal touches. I love the feel of a Teryllium insert but wanted a mid-mallet and my strokefits that head perfectly. To buy that Scotty Cameron off eBay/secondary market would've been $500+ more than what I paid for the Lajosi.

I have only heard great things from people that have ordered a Lajosi (GolfWRX Forum).

Please post pics of your custom Lajosi when it arrives! Love looking at all the customs on the wrx forums

I had a couple of lessons last year and my instructor suggested my irons are probably too short. I'm not in a position to buy new fitted clubs, but I'd be keen on getting some second hand ones that are a better fit.

Any suggestions on getting a basic fitting somewhere with no obligation to buy? Do places do this? How much they charge? Is this the way I should go about it? I'm in Melbourne. Cheers!

On SM-A528B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I had a couple of lessons last year and my instructor suggested my irons are probably too short. I'm not in a position to buy new fitted clubs, but I'd be keen on getting some second hand ones that are a better fit.

Any suggestions on getting a basic fitting somewhere with no obligation to buy? Do places do this? How much they charge? Is this the way I should go about it? I'm in Melbourne. Cheers!

On SM-A528B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Personally I would just go into Drummond and explain you are looking to buy second hand...don't want a fitting but just need to know what length club they would suggest. i.e. standard length, half inch or inch over. Then buy second hand and be honest with yourself about the level you are at and buy clubs accordingly i.e if you shoot 20 over get an oversized easy to hit club at your length. If you go to Drummond at a quiet time....who knows they might even tell you what your lie angles should be (second hand forged irons may be able to be bent to your lie angle) and shaft flex....if you have fast club head speed or not. Who knows they might have something out the back that suits.

Most fitters cost about $150 but that is normally deducted when you buy a set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back