Golf Golf Course rankings, and general golf course chat thread

Wormkilla

Senior List
Oct 17, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
My cat amongst the pigeon comment is that Barnbougle/Lost Farm are massively over rated. Can honestly say have no idea what the who-har is over them. Both are short with the most ridiculously penal rough from which you're forced to take a drop. Golf is hard enough without the course forcing you take a penalty every errant shot.
Have to agree here. I was expecting to be blown away by Lost Farm, and travelled a long way to play it, but I was underwhelmed. I watched the Barstool Sports video where they talked it up, like the ‘reveal’ over the ocean on the first par 3 but I was like ‘is that it?’. I rate The Cut in Perth higher personally. And Joondalup above them both.

It was dead still for the front nine and even borrowing a set of clubs Id have to say it was the least challenging front 9 I’ve played second to maybe Whaleback in Perth.

Looking for a membership in Melbourne. Anyone played at Woodlands?
I have played it. Tight and small greens that are table tops. Not long hence its protection is the green and tightness.

What are you lookin at membership wise? How many days or which would you look to play on? Budget for joining fee?

Retzlaff

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have played it. Tight and small greens that are table tops. Not long hence its protection is the green and tightness.

What are you lookin at membership wise? How many days or which would you look to play on? Budget for joining fee?
Thanks for your comments. Could stomach 7-10k joining fee and up to 4-5k annual fees. Probably just looking to play 1-2 days per week on saturdays and sundays. Would play a lot more during the week if on work holidays etc. Just looking for a course which is a real pleasure to play on but without a snooty membership base

Thanks for your comments. Could stomach 7-10k joining fee and up to 4-5k annual fees. Probably just looking to play 1-2 days per week on saturdays and sundays. Would play a lot more during the week if on work holidays etc. Just looking for a course which is a real pleasure to play on but without a snooty membership base

I think woodlands subs are around that mark. best give them a call and ask how much it is to join.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Have to agree here. I was expecting to be blown away by Lost Farm, and travelled a long way to play it, but I was underwhelmed. I watched the Barstool Sports video where they talked it up, like the ‘reveal’ over the ocean on the first par 3 but I was like ‘is that it?’. I rate The Cut in Perth higher personally. And Joondalup above them both.

It was dead still for the front nine and even borrowing a set of clubs Id have to say it was the least challenging front 9 I’ve played second to maybe Whaleback in Perth.
Admittedly I haven't played the Cut but I have played Joondalup.

Not sure I saw any holes on Joondalup to rival any of 8, 14, 18 at Lost Farm which could all feature in an All Australian top 18 hole list. All world class.

I'd then add in 4, 9, 11, 14, 15. None of which are far behind.

Wormkilla

Senior List
Oct 17, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Admittedly I haven't played the Cut but I have played Joondalup.

Not sure I saw any holes on Joondalup to rival any of 8, 14, 18 at Lost Farm which could all feature in an All Australian top 18 hole list. All world class.

I'd then add in 4, 9, 11, 14, 15. None of which are far behind.

Disagree. Have you played the Quarry 9 at Joondalup? The 2nd, 3rd and 6th are more interesting than anything at L/F.

The Par 3 16th at Araluen might be the best Par3 hole in the country but gets overlooked. The 9th is almost equally spectacular.

What's special about 8 and 14 at L/F? 18 is probably the only decently challenging hole on the course.

The 4th is the most over rated hole in the world. Most of the ocean view is impeded by a fence for the walk to the tee. You cant even see the ocean at the tee from memory.

The 9th's only feature is a two tiered fairway. Otherwise its short and simple.

The 11th is simple and boring.

The 14th simple for a short par 4. The fairway is 70 yards wide and runs downhill. A tap with a wood and you can get within a simple wedge or even reach the green with a bit of wind.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Disagree. Have you played the Quarry 9 at Joondalup? The 2nd, 3rd and 6th are more interesting than anything at L/F.

The Par 3 16th at Araluen might be the best Par3 hole in the country but gets overlooked. The 9th is almost equally spectacular.

What's special about 8 and 14 at L/F? 18 is probably the only decently challenging hole on the course.

The 4th is the most over rated hole in the world. Most of the ocean view is impeded by a fence for the walk to the tee. You cant even see the ocean at the tee from memory.

The 9th's only feature is a two tiered fairway. Otherwise its short and simple.

The 11th is simple and boring.

The 14th simple for a short par 4. The fairway is 70 yards wide and runs downhill. A tap with a wood and you can get within a simple wedge or even reach the green with a bit of wind.
Fair to say you and I see golf course architecture significantly differently Wormkilla so not sure we are going to agree on too much.

I think a lot of people tend to think harder = better as it pertains to design.

Wormkilla

Senior List
Oct 17, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Was bored so did a bit of a rating thing yesterday for all the courses I've played, out of 10. Most are in Perth. Influenced more on my experiences there I guess more than the state of the course and architecture. If anyone has any questions about the courses ask away!
Joondalup 10
The Cut 10
Barnbougle 10
Wanneroo 7
Araluen 8 (spectacular holes but the greens were terrible when I played there last)
Marangaroo 6
Whaleback 6
Embleton 8
Maylands Peninsula 6
El Cabello 5
Kwinana 8
Barham 8
Ratho Farm 10
Secret Harbour 6
Meadow Springs 9
Fremantle Public 4
Esperence Public 8
Collie 9
Lancelin 7
Seaview 8
Carramar 6
Hartfield 7
Hillview 7
Sun City 7
Pinjarra 5
Altone 6
The Vines 7
Mount Lawley 9
Rottnest 7
Point Walter 7
Mosman Park 8
Wembley 5
Collier Park 8
Marri Park 7
Hammersley 3
Lake Claremont Par 3 Course 9
Lakelands Country Club 9

Last edited:
Was bored so did a bit of a rating thing yesterday for all the courses I've played, out of 10. Most are in Perth. Influenced more on my experiences there I guess more than the state of the course and architecture. If anyone has any questions about the courses ask away!
Joondalup 10
The Cut 10
Barnbougle 10
Wanneroo 7
Araluen 8 (spectacular holes but the greens were terrible when I played there last)
Marangaroo 6
Whaleback 6
Embleton 8
Maylands Peninsula 6
El Cabello 5
Kwinana 8
Barham 8
Ratho Farm 10
Secret Harbour 6
Meadow Springs 9
Fremantle Public 4
Esperence Public 8
Collie 9
Lancelin 7
Seaview 8
Carramar 6
Hartfield 7
Hillview 7
Sun City 7
Pinjarra 5
Altone 6
The Vines 7
Mount Lawley 9
Rottnest 7
Point Walter 7
Mosman Park 8
Wembley 5
Collier Park 8
Marri Park 7
Hammersley 3
Lake Claremont Par 3 Course 9
When you say experience, is that in terms of how well you played?

Wormkilla

Senior List
Oct 17, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
When you say experience, is that in terms of how well you played?
Not necessarily. Hammersley is a beautiful course, but they chronically overbook it. Last time there it took nearly 5 hours to get to the 16th which was packed up 4 groups deep so we walked off. Fremantle public, Wembley and Maylands are also let down by how overbooked they are. Maylands is maybe my favourite spot in Perth by the river - its a shame its always so busy.

Pinjarra is a nice course but the buggy conked out on us half way round and they couldnt even give is a push cart yet alone a buggy to replace it. Then to top it off the bar was closed after the round. Couldnt even get a sandwich. The only guy there was collecting balls on the range even though there was no one on it.

Rotto is definitely nothing special but great fun to play. We do a Quokka Cup every year and its an awesome day. Have yet to actually see another group on the course.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
I don't really get how tattoos are part of a dress code. If a club visitor is following all of the dress standards, I don't agree with physical restrictions. It reeks a bit of 'cut that hair hippie'.

If a clubs rule says no visible tatts, then that's that. i guess.

i personally have no issue with tatts. the clubs i play at are ok with them too. but hey, if i go somewhere and they say here are the dress codes/rules, ill abide by them.

times will change.

Sep 16, 2010
Coastal cruiser
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone played Portsea recently?

Booked in for Friday week..

Haven't played there for about 9 years (damm joint always sh1ts on my golf game)
Yep.
Play there prob 6 times a year. You’ll notice a few changes.
Good course, but could be a lot better.
Walk back up to the clubhouse from 18 always shits me…..especially if you’ve had a bad day.

Back