Golf Golf Course rankings, and general golf course chat thread

That's a shame about the bunkers because when I played it 6-9 months it was really one of the most enjoyable tracks I have played. I get one free reciprocal round a year there so I'll be making the trip again soon.
Agreed, I think the layout could / should make for a superb course

Jun 29, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Sep 16, 2010
Coastal cruiser
AFL Club
Carlton
I've only played 6 lol. Playing 4 more next month though
I’ve played 18, and had an opportunity to play #2 yesterday but had already committed to spending the day with the bride.
Lucky enough to play #24 a couple of times a week, although not as lucky as peternorth who moves in higher echelons!
#37 is a personal favourite.

Jun 29, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I’ve played 18, and had an opportunity to play #2 yesterday but had already committed to spending the day with the bride.
Lucky enough to play #24 a couple of times a week, although not as lucky as peternorth who moves in higher echelons!
#37 is a personal favourite.
#55 is my favourite. It's my happy place.

The Dunes is one of the courses i mentioned in my earlier post that I'm playing next month. I moved to SE Melb during covid so need to make more of an effort to play some of the amazing courses available down here.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Anyone done a Masters Tour?
Is it best to book with a reputable tour group or try to organise yourself?
Around 8 of us keen to go.
I went to the tournament in 2012 and did it myself as a single. I went Thu/Sat/Sun and paid about AUD$3000 in total for all tickets through StubHub. Stayed at a hotel room in downtown Augusta (Quality Inn) for ~AUD$300/night so $1200 total there. So my fixed costs were about $4500 for three days at the tournament.

I just went and had a look at some 2024 tour packages like this one. These guys are quoting ~AUD$12,500 for 3 nights hotel accom and Sat/Sun only at the tournament. Costs have skyrocketed since I was there and the AUD/USD poor exchange rate won't be helping.

I saved an absolute bomb by doing it myself but it was easier being a single. Not sure I'd want to be the organiser for a group of 8. Quite a few of the 8 will almost certainly pull out too.

I went to the tournament in 2012 and did it myself as a single. I went Thu/Sat/Sun and paid about AUD$3000 in total for all tickets through StubHub. Stayed at a hotel room in downtown Augusta (Quality Inn) for ~AUD$300/night so $1200 total there. So my fixed costs were about $4500 for three days at the tournament.

I just went and had a look at some 2024 tour packages like this one. These guys are quoting ~AUD$12,500 for 3 nights hotel accom and Sat/Sun only at the tournament. Costs have skyrocketed since I was there and the AUD/USD poor exchange rate won't be helping.

I saved an absolute bomb by doing it myself but it was easier being a single. Not sure I'd want to be the organiser for a group of 8. Quite a few of the 8 will almost certainly pull out too.
great advice Pres!

Did you at any stage feel lonely?

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
peternorth will the National members be upset that the Gunnamatta is ranked so highly? And even worse outranked the Old?

peternorth will the National members be upset that the Gunnamatta is ranked so highly? And even worse outranked the Old?

As a whole (3000+ members) there will be varying opinions Gunna vs Old, or Gunna vs Moonah. You can see certainly Gunna being popular with certain members due to its "ease" where you can bunt it around, spray it and not get as penalised. They'd put it over the others.

Then there's a cohort who detest the course, a resort course if you like.

Old has always from memory been ranked lower than Moonah. Its certainly a hard walk for the first 4 holes, but after its fairly good. I think it plays a part in the rankings for sure.

Back