Golf Golf Course rankings, and general golf course chat thread

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
I have heard so many stories like this.

Add on the $160 green fee and the mandatory cart due to the un-walkability and I'll happily pass.

I was fortunate to not have to pay a cent to play. Thanks family.

The balls were also supplied by a local who was a friend of the family.

Otherwise, it’s a costly exercise.

Worth every cent though, had I have to have paid.

Oct 6, 2017
All over the place
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool Boston Celtics Victory

What an insightful (as always) piece by Clayton. He really nails it here.
"Pine Valley in New Jersey is thought the finest layout in the world and it’s the one course I’ve played where every hole is a truly great hole. It is though, hardly the ideal because it was unashamedly built for excellent players. Royal Melbourne’s composite, by contrast, is manageable by all with a modicum of competence."
Also.
"And who wants difficult golf when the average handicap is 18?"

He truly understands that a golf course is meant to be played by golfers of varying skill levels.

What an insightful (as always) piece by Clayton. He really nails it here.
"Pine Valley in New Jersey is thought the finest layout in the world and it’s the one course I’ve played where every hole is a truly great hole. It is though, hardly the ideal because it was unashamedly built for excellent players. Royal Melbourne’s composite, by contrast, is manageable by all with a modicum of competence."
Also.
"And who wants difficult golf when the average handicap is 18?"

He truly understands that a golf course is meant to be played by golfers of varying skill levels.

I have spoken with clayts many times. He’s a polarising person but I find him very nice.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Also as a magazine rater how on earth are you realistically meant to factor in condition into your assessment?

Eg I see RM West in the middle of winter and the Legend couch is soft and the join line with the fescue surrounds stands out like dogs balls. Then I see it for the Presidents Cup when they've had 50-70 people priming the course for 4 weeks and it looks like something out of a fairytale and there is no better conditioned course on earth. What score am I meant to put down for conditioning?

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
I have spoken with clayts many times. He’s a polarising person but I find him very nice.
Here's someone who clearly has problems with Clatys!

As an aside that post did not age well. Royal Canberra improved 50 spots between the 2014 and 2018 lists post the renovation!

Oct 6, 2017
All over the place
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool Boston Celtics Victory
Also as a magazine rater how on earth are you realistically meant to factor in condition into your assessment?

Eg I see RM West in the middle of winter and the Legend couch is soft and the join line with the fescue surrounds stands out like dogs balls. Then I see it for the Presidents Cup when they've had 50-70 people priming the course for 4 weeks and it looks like something out of a fairytale and there is no better conditioned course on earth. What score am I meant to put down for conditioning?
Hah! I seem to recall that 10-11 years ago RMW got knocked off its perch by KH due to its poor conditioning as a result of the drought.
Don't know which magazine did that but there it was. I may be wrong, but the other magazine saw through the conditioning and assessed RMW on its architectural merits.

Great question. I mean, what if youre there and a storm has come through, or its been stinking hot. oh well.

and during the pres (not you haha) cup they prob painted the course green to suit the pga tv people

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Hah! I seem to recall that 10-11 years ago RMW got knocked off its perch by KH due to its poor conditioning as a result of the drought.
Don't know which magazine did that but there it was. I may be wrong, but the other magazine saw through the conditioning and assessed RMW on its architectural merits.
That was probably a one off given the drought of the late 2000's (around the period that led to Black Saturday). Basically RM ran out of water and had to pay to ship it in and the course really got dry and beaten up.

That period led to most of the sandbelts panicking and building mega-dams. Often with poor architectural results for the golf course (eg Victoria, Commonwealth).

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I rate Metropolitan above both RME and Huntingdale

Huntingdale - yes.

RME - No way.

Just got back from a trip to Barnbougle.

Actually liked Lost Farm more than The Dunes.

Lost Farm reminded me a lot of Ballybunion in Ireland, which is ranked about 25th in the world and the course Whistling Straights design was based on.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Other than the sublime conditioning I've never really been able to get the Metropolitan love.

I'm a bit the same, I've probably played it 15 odd times.

I have it on the same level as Woodlands, both excellent courses, but a rung down from the very top.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Have been looking at different golf trips now that I've saved some leave and money because a holiday has been cancelled, probably aiming to go around September - December when domestic travel has hopefully opened up.

Looking at either around Sunshine Coast, Newcastle or Perth, or any other Aussie destinations outside VIC. Looking for public or semi private courses or courses that aren't mega fancy or too elitist for visitors.

Back