Golf Golf Course rankings, and general golf course chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have been looking at different golf trips now that I've saved some leave and money because a holiday has been cancelled, probably aiming to go around September - December when domestic travel has hopefully opened up.

Looking at either around Sunshine Coast, Newcastle or Perth, or any other Aussie destinations outside VIC. Looking for public or semi private courses or courses that aren't mega fancy or too elitist for visitors.
Tasmania? Go play Barnbougle/Lost Farm.

Have been looking at different golf trips now that I've saved some leave and money because a holiday has been cancelled, probably aiming to go around September - December when domestic travel has hopefully opened up.

Looking at either around Sunshine Coast, Newcastle or Perth, or any other Aussie destinations outside VIC. Looking for public or semi private courses or courses that aren't mega fancy or too elitist for visitors.
If you're looking at a course per day for a week, Perth, Gold coast or even Adelaide? Although their good courses are mostly private. Noosa has Twin Waters, Coolum (not sure about the condition but I'd have it in my top 5 courses) and Noosa Springs.
Perth and GC would be my recommendation for courses and weather.

If you're looking at a course per day for a week, Perth, Gold coast or even Adelaide? Although their good courses are mostly private. Noosa has Twin Waters, Coolum (not sure about the condition but I'd have it in my top 5 courses) and Noosa Springs.
Perth and GC would be my recommendation for courses and weather.
Have never been to Perth so would be crossing two things off, probably head over for a week and play 3 or 4 courses among other things.

When I say "private" as long as they welcome visitors and I'm not paying $200 per person for a round, I'm happy to play some of the better courses. There's a lot of private semi private courses though that I've found still make it easy enough for visitors to book and play.
Luckily I'm an afternoon golfer and for the life of me it's the quietest time which I can never work out. Ill play at 4pm on a nice spring evening with the course largely to myself over being jam packed at 9am with 4 to a group.

Have never been to Perth so would be crossing two things off, probably head over for a week and play 3 or 4 courses among other things.

When I say "private" as long as they welcome visitors and I'm not paying $200 per person for a round, I'm happy to play some of the better courses. There's a lot of private semi private courses though that I've found still make it easy enough for visitors to book and play.
Luckily I'm an afternoon golfer and for the life of me it's the quietest time which I can never work out. Ill play at 4pm on a nice spring evening with the course largely to myself over being jam packed at 9am with 4 to a group.
private courses welcome visitors from my experience -

1. you know and play with a member
2. you go alone and pay through the nose.
3. 1 & 2

try sanctuary cove. 2 courses, excellent accommodation!

1st thing is watch out as Perth doesn't have D/L savings, neither does Qld.
If you're going somewhere with the Golf Digest top 100 in your pocket to cross of some courses, the top 20 will all be pricey.

1st thing is watch out as Perth doesn't have D/L savings, neither does Qld.
If you're going somewhere with the Golf Digest top 100 in your pocket to cross of some courses, the top 20 will all be pricey.
Have just googled WA golf trip and there are some package sites. Anyone ever used these? Do they give better value or better to just book the courses yourself and own accommodation?

You sound a lot like me. Mid afternoon is a fabulous time to play golf. It's relaxed and you get to experience the golden hour when golf courses look their most glorious.

There's a lot more to this great game than clamoring for that weekly Saturday individual stableford 7.30am tee time with a ranger on your back and then rushing off to whatever's next in your day.

You sound a lot like me. Mid afternoon is a fabulous time to play golf. It's relaxed and you get to experience the golden hour when golf courses look their most glorious.

There's a lot more to this great game than clamoring for that weekly Saturday individual stableford 7.30am tee time with a ranger on your back and then rushing off to whatever's next in your day.

Of course its good for those who dont have afternoon commitments. Just as morning tee times is good for those who have arvo chores. That's the beauty about tee times, something for everyone.

For me myself, I prefer early as it means driving down when fam are sleeping, so as not to miss as much fam time if you know what i mean.

I went early October to Tas and did King Island (Cape Wickham and Ocean Dunes) and then went down to Lost Farm/Barnbougle and the weather was perfect. Played Royal Melbourne West before flying out and enjoyed Cape Wickham and Lost Farm more.

I went early October to Tas and did King Island (Cape Wickham and Ocean Dunes) and then went down to Lost Farm/Barnbougle and the weather was perfect. Played Royal Melbourne West before flying out and enjoyed Cape Wickham and Lost Farm more.

Great to hear mate!!

why was one more enjoyable than the other? Im feeling that a plane ride to another state with friends adds to the excitement. i know im feeling it right now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to hear mate!!

why was one more enjoyable than the other? Im feeling that a plane ride to another state with friends adds to the excitement. i know im feeling it right now
Im from SA so we jumped on the plane and played all 5 in 5 days.

Cape Wickham was just an unreal experience- the location and the scenery, the course condition was amazing compared to the rest, the course was challenging but rewarding at the same time. We were really lucky to have amazing weather as well. Pictures just don't do this place justice.
cw1.jpg cw2.jpg cw3.jpg cw4.jpg cw5.jpg cw6.jpg

Attachments

• cw8.jpg
    cw8.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 23
  • cw9.jpg
    cw9.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 22
Lost Farm was also really amazing condition and the course lay out, just a really enjoyable round of golf and great scenery. The facilities here are just fantastic as well from the cottages to the hotel - 2 different restaurants etc its just really set out great for people to fly in to play and stay at both the courses.

lf1.jpg lf2.jpg lf3.jpg lf4.jpg

Attachments

• lf5.jpg
    lf5.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 14
  • lf6.jpg
    lf6.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 12
  • lf8.jpg
    lf8.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 13
  • lf9.jpg
    lf9.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 14
  • lf10.jpg
    lf10.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 12
  • lf11.jpg
    lf11.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 13
Lost Farm was also really amazing condition and the course lay out, just a really enjoyable round of golf and great scenery. The facilities here are just fantastic as well from the cottages to the hotel - 2 different restaurants etc its just really set out great for people to fly in to play and stay at both the courses.

View attachment 867136View attachment 867137View attachment 867138View attachment 867139

OMG it maybe my sleepy state but scrolling through quickly i thought it was the moonah course at National and or st andrews beach in parts!

OMG it maybe my sleepy state but scrolling through quickly i thought it was the moonah course at National and or st andrews beach in parts!
Can't speak for the King Island courses but Barnbougle doesn't have those rock hard greens found at National Moonah. Much more receptive.

Best courses in Perth anyone? I'm not a member anywhere, but these are my favourite I've played:
Meadow Springs
Mt Lawley
Wanneroo
Point Walter

Best courses in Perth anyone? I'm not a member anywhere, but these are my favourite I've played:
Meadow Springs
Mt Lawley
Wanneroo
Point Walter
Lake Karrinyup
Joondalup (rare Robert Trent Jones Jnr good piece of work)
The Cut

These are the big three. Albany is interesting if you're going down south - rollicking links land right on the ocean.

I
It's been a while for me but are the courses down Mandurah way still good? Port Kennedy?

Meadow Springs is in Mandurah. Best course Ive played in Perth.

I've heard port Kennedy is amazing. If you can look paste the 12 foot python that lives there.

Ballpark cost for the trip?
Around the $3,000 per person mark flying from Adelaide but that whole trip included:
-flights from Adelaide to melb via Virgin.
- A round at Royal Melbourne $350
- A night at the Hyatt at Essendon Airport
- Flight from Essendon Airport to King Island.
- A night at the King island motel.
- 2 day Hire Car on King island.
- A round with cart at Cape Wickham
- A round with cart at Ocean Dunes.
- Flight from King Island to Launceston.
- 3 day car hire Launceston.
- 2 nights in the cottage's at Lost Farm
- A round at Lost Farm
- A round at barnbougle.
- Flight from Launceston to Adelaide via Virgin.

Doing it from Melb would be much cheaper - if you have a group of you as well they will charter a plane to land on the airfield right next to Lost Farm Course rather than the hour drive up from Launceston. Air adventure organized all of ours besides the virgin flights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back