Golf Golf Course rankings, and general golf course chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Around the $3,000 per person mark flying from Adelaide but that whole trip included:
-flights from Adelaide to melb via Virgin.
- A round at Royal Melbourne $350
- A night at the Hyatt at Essendon Airport
- Flight from Essendon Airport to King Island.
- A night at the King island motel.
- 2 day Hire Car on King island.
- A round with cart at Cape Wickham
- A round with cart at Ocean Dunes.
- Flight from King Island to Launceston.
- 3 day car hire Launceston.
- 2 nights in the cottage's at Lost Farm
- A round at Lost Farm
- A round at barnbougle.
- Flight from Launceston to Adelaide via Virgin.

Doing it from Melb would be much cheaper - if you have a group of you as well they will charter a plane to land on the airfield right next to Lost Farm Course rather than the hour drive up from Launceston. Air adventure organized all of ours besides the virgin flights.

So 6K after grog

Still cheap

domestic travel is expensive isnt it?!

my trip to pebble, spyglass and poppy hills was gonna cost 5k!
Current trips to Sicily being offered for end of year, half price fares, half price accommodation.
Travel will be soo cheap in 6-9 months

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
I
Current trips to Sicily being offered for end of year, half price fares, half price accommodation.
Travel will be soo cheap in 6-9 months
I reckon domestic flights will go through the roof. Melb-Syd is the 2nd busiest route in the world. If we lose Virgin, it's gonna hurt.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Okay, heading to Noosa in mid July. Will be able to fit in 2 rounds of golf on non consecutive days.

Any recommendations? Looking for a course that welcomes visitor/guest bookings. Will likely only be able to take up one golf bag but will be for 2 players. Fairly novice players (34+ handicap), so possibly somewhere a little more forgiving/ friendly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, heading to Noosa in mid July. Will be able to fit in 2 rounds of golf on non consecutive days.

Any recommendations? Looking for a course that welcomes visitor/guest bookings. Will likely only be able to take up one golf bag but will be for 2 players. Fairly novice players (34+ handicap), so possibly somewhere a little more forgiving/ friendly.
Noosa Springs is a great track

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Noosa Springs is a great track
Some will bag me, but Palmer Coolum is an outstanding track. I have it in my top 5. Not sure what condition it is in now unfortunately.
Twin Waters down the road is great and more forgiving than Coolum. But is Coolum is the best 'Resort' course I've played though.

Some will bag me, but Palmer Coolum is an outstanding track. I have it in my top 5. Not sure what condition it is in now unfortunately.
Twin Waters down the road is great and more forgiving than Coolum. But is Coolum is the best 'Resort' course I've played though.
Coolum is damm good

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I birdied the 18th their 8 months after the final Australian PGA was played at this course.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Twin Waters for sure. Sounds like what you're after.

Noosa Springs prides itself on conditioning but it's very tight and may prove difficult at those handicap levels
I can get on Google maps, but drivable from Noosa? Probably looking to stay within 30 minutes drive of Noosaville.

If Noosa Springs is too tight, might look at the others.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
I can get on Google maps, but drivable from Noosa?
My recollection is that Noosa to Coolum circa 50 min and Noosa to Twin Waters is slightly over an hour. But could be wrong.

The best of them is Pelican Waters but that's near Caloundra so fair bit further again - but do-able.

If you wanted another local option the Noosa GC course at Tewantin is quite decent and very welcoming. I think Rod Pampling plays there sometimes.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
My recollection is that Noosa to Coolum circa 50 min and Noosa to Twin Waters is slightly over an hour. But could be wrong.

The best of them is Pelican Waters but that's near Caloundra so fair bit further again - but do-able.

If you wanted another local option the Noosa GC course at Tewantin is quite decent and very welcoming. I think Rod Pampling plays there sometimes.
I played Palmer Coolum and Pelican Waters nearly 7 years ago. If you can’t hit them straight at these two courses it makes for a long round of torture. 😢

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Around the $3,000 per person mark flying from Adelaide but that whole trip included:
-flights from Adelaide to melb via Virgin.
- A round at Royal Melbourne $350
- A night at the Hyatt at Essendon Airport
- Flight from Essendon Airport to King Island.
- A night at the King island motel.
- 2 day Hire Car on King island.
- A round with cart at Cape Wickham
- A round with cart at Ocean Dunes.
- Flight from King Island to Launceston.
- 3 day car hire Launceston.
- 2 nights in the cottage's at Lost Farm
- A round at Lost Farm
- A round at barnbougle.
- Flight from Launceston to Adelaide via Virgin.

Doing it from Melb would be much cheaper - if you have a group of you as well they will charter a plane to land on the airfield right next to Lost Farm Course rather than the hour drive up from Launceston. Air adventure organized all of ours besides the virgin flights.

Fly Melbourne to King Island from Moorrabin Airport next time, which is 5 mins from Royal Melbourne.

You wont have to drive the 1+ hours in Melbourne traffic just to get to a airport hotel.

You may be able to catch a flight straight after your RMGC round.

Sep 16, 2010
Coastal cruiser
AFL Club
Carlton
8 BD polarises opinions a bit. It's really a par 4.5 but becomes a forced layup to the bottom of the dune for most of moderate length.

My top 20 as follows. Note I have not seen National Gunnamatta, Ellerston, revamped Bonnie Doon yet and I suspect most would make my top 20.

Kingston Heath
Royal Melbourne West
Barnbougle
Victoria
Lost Farm
Cape Wickham
Peninsula North
Royal Melbourne East
New South Wales
St Andrew's Beach
Lake Karrinyup
Royal Adelaide
National Moonah
The Lakes
Metropolitan
Woodlands
Barwon Heads
Peninsula South
13th Beach (Beach)
The Dunes

I don't believe Ellerston should be ranked. It is in reality like Capital - 100% private and not subjectable in any real way to the court of public opinion.

Cathedral Lodge did not let Golf Aus magazine rankers but invited Golf Digest panel on as the Shark has business ties with their magazine :rolleyes:.

Not massively surprised by many of the positions. It's a good list. Peninsula North a touch high given the turf immaturity, practice area just opened etc.

Also Ocean Dunes isn't in my top 30.
Love The Dunes.....magnificent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back