Golf Golf Course rankings, and general golf course chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dones the Sth Mornington Peninsula have the best collection of golf courses in Australia? If not, the World.
Portsea
Sorrento
The Dunes x 1.5
St Andrews Beach
Moonah x 2
Eagle Ridge
Rosebud CC x 2
National x 3
Cape Schank
Flinders

Thats 14.5 courses all within a 20 min drive of where I live, I think 10 in the top 100.
I feel blessed.

Dones the Sth Mornington Peninsula have the best collection of golf courses in Australia? If not, the World.
Portsea
Sorrento
The Dunes x 1.5
St Andrews Beach
Moonah x 2
Eagle Ridge
Rosebud CC x 2
National x 3
Cape Schank
Flinders

Thats 14.5 courses all within a 20 min drive of where I live, I think 10 in the top 100.
I feel blessed.
Within that proximity to each other the Mornington Peninsula would have to be right up there.
When you google best golf destinations in the world, MP is usually always mentioned. Greater Melbourne/VIC in general is generally always mentioned.

Only thing is a lot of those aren't cheap. So it's not a cheap golf trip.

Portsea
Sorrento
The Dunes x 1.5
St Andrews Beach
Moonah x 2
Eagle Ridge
Rosebud CC x 2
National x 3
Cape Schank
Flinders

I feel blessed.

The one place I could think of is the Monterey Peninsula.

An absolute smorgasbord of world class golf courses.

Portsea
Sorrento
The Dunes x 1.5
St Andrews Beach
Moonah x 2
Eagle Ridge
Rosebud CC x 2
National x 3
Cape Schank
Flinders

I feel blessed.

Within that proximity to each other the Mornington Peninsula would have to be right up there.
When you google best golf destinations in the world, MP is usually always mentioned. Greater Melbourne/VIC in general is generally always mentioned.

Only thing is a lot of those aren't cheap. So it's not a cheap golf trip.

How much would you pay for a round?

You could add Peninsula Kingswood as its on the pen. Though 40 mins away.

How much would you pay for a round?
Depends, for example I am planning to head to the Hunter Valley this year, and as a special occassion I will pay the $100 green fee at somewhere like Cyprus Lakes course, because it's a specific trip to the region as a treat and a once off for that course.

I wouldn't however on a regular basis living in Melbourne, pay $125 a round to play Moonah Links regularly. That's not viable for most. There's a lot of good value, frequently playable courses in Melbourne. I'd say that between $20-$60 a round (twilight rates included) is the sweet spot between frequency and quality of course balance.

Membership is not the same either, because then you are restricted to just one course (maybe some reciprocal rights at times), but there's no way to play a mix of all those courses regularly (e.g. once or twice a week) without forking out decent coin.

Obviously this is all relative to someone's budget, for some $160 a week on green fees would not be a concern, but I don't have a spare $8k a year for the hobby.

Depends, for example I am planning to head to the Hunter Valley this year, and as a special occassion I will pay the $100 green fee at somewhere like Cyprus Lakes course, because it's a specific trip to the region as a treat and a once off for that course.

I wouldn't however on a regular basis living in Melbourne, pay $125 a round to play Moonah Links regularly. That's not viable for most. There's a lot of good value, frequently playable courses in Melbourne. I'd say that between $20-$60 a round (twilight rates included) is the sweet spot between frequency and quality of course balance.

Membership is not the same either, because then you are restricted to just one course (maybe some reciprocal rights at times), but there's no way to play a mix of all those courses regularly (e.g. once or twice a week) without forking out decent coin.

Obviously this is all relative to someone's budget, for some $160 a week on green fees would not be a concern, but I don't have a spare $8k a year for the hobby.

generally speaking even 115 for a round is a lot of money and thats coming from people i know who are members of sandbelt/national.

generally speaking even 115 for a round is a lot of money and thats coming from people i know who are members of sandbelt/national.
ST Andrews with a cart is about $140

Certainly having a dip

Even Flinders on a Sunday was $80 without a cart - Flinders is good but not $80 worth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though it is really nice to play different courses that are good and I often hear that membership is too restricting for this reason. People miss the fact that you get better and better playing on your home course. You make mistakes and learn. Learn the slope on the greens and the speed. Plot your way around way better. And score better than playing here , there and everywhere. I've done both and would much prefer being a member and playing the odd game elsewhere from time to time. It also unlocks the social side better as well. Golfs a lot more fun when you are scoring well...playing at home helps this.

Even though it is really nice to play different courses that are good and I often hear that membership is too restricting for this reason. People miss the fact that you get better and better playing on your home course. You make mistakes and learn. Learn the slope on the greens and the speed. Plot your way around way better. And score better than playing here , there and everywhere. I've done both and would much prefer being a member and playing the odd game elsewhere from time to time. It also unlocks the social side better as well. Golfs a lot more fun when you are scoring well...playing at home helps this.
I agree although not playing the same course all the time is also good for your game as well. I know on my course there are places where i can afford to this. I might miss a tee shot over the trees and on to the next fairway and not really be punished whereas on another course that would be a lost ball

I reckon though if you had two similar golfers, both 15 handicaps, one played twice a week at Riversdale, one played twice a week across Melbourne, the Riversdale guy is probably a better golfer at one course, whereas the other guy probably beats him everywhere else.

For me not being a member is purely because I like experience different scenery and challenges, otherwise the same course can get somewhat repetitive imo if you're playing weekly. I'm even happy to play courses well above my level that smash me for like 110 strokes.

I reckon though if you had two similar golfers, both 15 handicaps, one played twice a week at Riversdale, one played twice a week across Melbourne, the Riversdale guy is probably a better golfer at one course, whereas the other guy probably beats him everywhere else.

For me not being a member is purely because I like experience different scenery and challenges, otherwise the same course can get somewhat repetitive imo if you're playing weekly. I'm even happy to play courses well above my level that smash me for like 110 strokes.
Maybe...maybe not. The guy playing at home will be playing comps and be used to playing under a bit of pressure, playing against others and his handicap, where the other one not as much. Playing comps regularly takes golf to another level as well, it's something us social golfers don't really experience. It's pretty good. Maybe not for you but I would prefer it.

Maybe...maybe not. The guy playing at home will be playing comps and be used to playing under a bit of pressure, playing against others and his handicap, where the other one not as much. Playing comps regularly takes golf to another level as well, it's something us social golfers don't really experience. It's pretty good. Maybe not for you but I would prefer it.
I wouldnt mind playing comps, but not sure if like other sports they have comps for different abilities/grades. Happy to play with others around my level, but would be embarrassed playing comps against single digit guys, even with handicap advantage it's just not the same.

"Juss has won today's comp with a cracking 106 off the stick, he beat out ScrappyCoCo who couldn't get it done with his 77"

Last edited:
I wouldnt mind playing comps, but not sure if like other sports they have comps for different abilities/grades. Happy to play with others around my level, but would be embarrassed playing comps against single digit guys, even with handicap advantage it's just not the same.
You get used to it. And find good golfers are pretty good at playing golfers not at their level. The top guys probably mostly play with their mates that are very good anyway. Most places have a few grades 2 or 3. And honestly it's the best way to improve playing with better guys.

depends. what are their ages? Does one practice more than the other? Is one 15er drifting out, while the other is improving?

"Juss has won today's comp with a cracking 106 off the stick, he beat out ScrappyCoCo who couldn't get it done with his 77"

you all play the same course. most courses have A, B, C grades. but its done at days end in terms of prizemoney. there arent groups designed for particular grades. you just play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back