Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

ScrappyCoCo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Had a lesson today...worked on clearing the hips more before and through impact. Things had gotten a bit "armsy" and not driven by the body enough.

1636522238586.png

My hips were almost down the target line at impact. Not like this. :'(

Having said this....coaches are great at pumping your tyres up! :laughing:

Doing a drill where I almost start my backswing from this position....and try to get to that position at impact. Half swings with lofted irons.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Went down to the range today, feel like I'm right on the edge of a breakthrough with the driver. I'm now hitting 30-40% shots that would make the fairway. That's huge for me as previously it would be like 10% and the rest were huge slices or hooks that would have been next fairway or lost. I'm starting to get better at squaring the clubface at impact, and also hitting up on the ball which is keeping it longer, higher and straighter.

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Lets discuss pre round routine. Driving to the club or course do you listen to music? Podcasts? I find when music listening a song will get stuck in head all round and thats dangerous if it doesnt have the. right tempo

Bicco

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Lets discuss pre round routine. Driving to the club or course do you listen to music? Podcasts? I find when music listening a song will get stuck in head all round and thats dangerous if it doesnt have the. right tempo
Rushing stresses me. So I work backwards from my tee time. If I'm playing at 830 I want to be there by 8 to hit some balls so I need to leave home by 740 so I get up at 7. If I'm playing comp I'll putt on my mat the night before for 30 mins, just knocking in those 7 footers.

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Rushing stresses me. So I work backwards from my tee time. If I'm playing at 830 I want to be there by 8 to hit some balls so I need to leave home by 740 so I get up at 7. If I'm playing comp I'll putt on my mat the night before for 30 mins, just knocking in those 7 footers.
like it!

generally like to arrive an hour before, and work back accordingly. early tee times at National require alarm times usually reserved for sillies.

ScrappyCoCo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Nothing better than playing a round where there is a range. I would arrive about 40 minutes early. Hit a quick 30...mostly using my low irons...a few middle irons and ten or so with driver. A 10 or 15 minute putt...and a quick chip if you could is perfect warm up for me. Cannot fathom arriving a couple of minutes before tee off....just wouldn't work for me. Even worse is drinking a few beers going around. I would legit miss the ball. :laughing:

Pklz

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Nothing better than playing a round where there is a range. I would arrive about 40 minutes early. Hit a quick 30...mostly using my low irons...a few middle irons and ten or so with driver. A 10 or 15 minute putt...and a quick chip if you could is perfect warm up for me. Cannot fathom arriving a couple of minutes before tee off....just wouldn't work for me. Even worse is drinking a few beers going around. I would legit miss the ball. :laughing:
I still play most of my comp golf at my old home course which is about a 90 minute drive and has no practice areas at all haha so when I play there I arrive 40 minutes early and sink cans til i tee off.

I'm also a member at a course around the corner from where i live now so I play 9 holes there quite frequently and always try hit balls into the net before teeing off. Makes a huge difference especially after recovering from a shoulder injury.

If i play at a foreign course I'll probably hit a handful of putts on practice green just to get an idea of speed and that's about it.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
like it!

generally like to arrive an hour before, and work back accordingly. early tee times at National require alarm times usually reserved for sillies.
I used to tee off at about 7am. Normal routine in summer was an 5:45am arrival followed by
20mins of range
20mins of chipping
20mins of putting

With family, back problems and work now I’m falling out of the car onto the 1st tee. Good golf doesn’t happen without a solid foundation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
My pre round routine consists of rocking up to the course maybe 10 or so mins early, going to the toilet doing a few upper body twists with the club and hitting off the first tee.

Could probably shave a few strokes rocking up earlier and getting some swings and putts in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad