Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

So I've started developing the yips. I can't take the club away on my backswing. I can take practice swings, hit practice shots etc. But when I come to actually hitting the shot, I just can't (or have extremely great difficulty) taking the club back. I'm just frozen in my address position. It happened a few years ago and I had to stop playing for a few months until I basically forgot about it. It's a completely mental thing, but it's really, really annoying.

Feel ya pain bro

So I've started developing the yips. I can't take the club away on my backswing. I can take practice swings, hit practice shots etc. But when I come to actually hitting the shot, I just can't (or have extremely great difficulty) taking the club back. I'm just frozen in my address position. It happened a few years ago and I had to stop playing for a few months until I basically forgot about it. It's a completely mental thing, but it's really, really annoying.
Pete Senior won multiple Australian Opens after overcoming each of putting, chipping and driver yips - at different times of his career. You'll get through it Bicco!

Pete Senior won multiple Australian Opens after overcoming each of putting, chipping and driver yips - at different times of his career. You'll get through it Bicco!
It’s so weird. It actually builds up through the round. So the 1st couple of holes I’m fine, then by the 8th I’m just standing, staring the ball. I step back, take a practice swing and all good. Step back over the ball and freeze.

It’s so weird. It actually builds up through the round. So the 1st couple of holes I’m fine, then by the 8th I’m just standing, staring the ball. I step back, take a practice swing and all good. Step back over the ball and freeze.
Crikey - would not want to be in the group behind! :D

A big focus of my swing is rotating my shoulders. It helps get my shaft on plane. It's not a perfect swing but generally goes ok. When I don't rotate, I find I block the ball about 15°straight right, sometimes with a bit of a fade. On most courses I would likely finish right of a fairway bunker off of the tee.
Last couple of rounds I've been setting up right of the tee box, aiming at the trees left and not rotating my shoulders. So far the results have been great. It's not so much about hitting it straight or right, it's about NOT hitting left. Didn't seem to be so great with irons but off of the tee I felt like I was eliminating the left side, which is great.

Have totally lost my swing with my driver. Lean back, swing plane is horrid (inside/out). My irons have been pretty good but just offf the tee been horrendous. Going to try and dig up some old videos that I had taken from a swing coach and see if that helps me out

Do people here swing more upright on the backswing or more around their body with irons?
I've been told by an instructor to swing more steep/upright and keep the club in front of me on the backswing, but have had some success and it feels a bit more natural to take it a bit more around the body, even if the hands to get behind me a little.

It's not technically great apparently, but brings me back to the question if its easier to execute for me and more consistent, do I want to play golf or golf swing? Sometimes I reckon Golf pro instructors fall into the trap of teaching you golf swing, not golf. That's been my experience so far anyway.

I strained my upper back playing too much golf/range sessions over the long weekend, went to the physio and a couple weeks off doing light exercise to recover. A week later and I still can't sleep comfortably.

Anyway, when doing a bit of a mechanical assessment with the physio, the more around the body swing I mentioned above was too much for my body at the time, probably not conditioned for it.

Got me googling, and I came across the below which I found really interesting, anyone feel this concept? Apparently this guy reckons that in the swing, the arms don't swing horizontally across the body for width, but it's the body that gives most of the rotation, and the arms move predominantly vertically/diagonally up in the backswing, not horizontally around for width. I reckon pulling my arms back horizontally around my body and really stretching my middle back contributed a lot to my injury.

I strained my upper back playing too much golf/range sessions over the long weekend, went to the physio and a couple weeks off doing light exercise to recover. A week later and I still can't sleep comfortably.

Anyway, when doing a bit of a mechanical assessment with the physio, the more around the body swing I mentioned above was too much for my body at the time, probably not conditioned for it.

Got me googling, and I came across the below which I found really interesting, anyone feel this concept? Apparently this guy reckons that in the swing, the arms don't swing horizontally across the body for width, but it's the body that gives most of the rotation, and the arms move predominantly vertically/diagonally up in the backswing, not horizontally around for width. I reckon pulling my arms back horizontally around my body and really stretching my middle back contributed a lot to my injury.

I haven't watched the video but that is correct. Think your body is the hub and the club head is the tyre. Arms are the spokes. Keep your hands quiet. Take the club straight back, turning your body. Your arms/hands will naturally turn to the right spot. Turn your shoulders back. Hit the ball.
If you hit right, you haven't turned your shoulders enough. Left and your hands have got ahead of your body.

It is a very good video.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people here swing more upright on the backswing or more around their body with irons?
I've been told by an instructor to swing more steep/upright and keep the club in front of me on the backswing, but have had some success and it feels a bit more natural to take it a bit more around the body, even if the hands to get behind me a little.

It's not technically great apparently, but brings me back to the question if its easier to execute for me and more consistent, do I want to play golf or golf swing? Sometimes I reckon Golf pro instructors fall into the trap of teaching you golf swing, not golf. That's been my experience so far anyway.
I am very upright in my backswing with my irons. (I really think about it for my longer irons) I find I hit them better that way myself.

I am also quite slow in my back swing, but come through with speed.

Does anyone have what Nick Faldo once called a 'gun to the head' shot off the tee? That is a shot if you had to call it, be it a fade, draw, 3w, 3i, whatever. You can execute under the most extreme pressure.

nah its complete fundamental issue. take away, swing path. try and hit them like irons.

like need to see something at the most basic level and start again
Just go and hit heaps of golf balls. Seriously. You'll get your swing back. Mostly short irons. Just hit lots and lots of shots.

Just go and hit heaps of golf balls. Seriously. You'll get your swing back. Mostly short irons. Just hit lots and lots of shots.

My irons are not the issue. Hit them with elative consistency. I've never been able to hit my woods with any consistency. Just at a loss at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back