Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Haha. I have a similar (nowhere near as good) shape to my swing (after having seen it compared on video.)

Helps me with my tempo.
Don't start your downswing until you've finished your backswing. It's amazing how quickly my backswing slows and I start to hit more solidly. I end up hitting further with a slower swing. I notice Rory is only doing a 3/4 swing.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Don't start your downswing until you've finished your backswing. It's amazing how quickly my backswing slows and I start to hit more solidly. I end up hitting further with a slower swing. I notice Rory is only doing a 3/4 swing.
His irons never get parallel to the ground, and driver only just.

Absolute powerhouse, with exceptional timing and sequencing.

Sippa

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thanks will have a look

If you slice the ball I really recommend it …

I have been slicing and also skying driver … I paid for his counter slice sequence videos and spent 90 mins on the range tonight and 7 out of 10 was straight or a draw to the left … other 3 was a push fade

It was nothing I didn’t already know but the way he explained some things it made more sense and I found the sequence a really repeatable practice pre shot routine …

After tonight I 100% feel I’m on the way to better driving ..

If you do slice and don’t mind paying give it a go .. I actually found it more valuable than the lessons I’ve paid for

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Got on the range today, a very rare occurance atm with injury, back is paying for it this evening though....

Recent injury has forced me to change my swing, but it's the mental revelation that has been good, I've become less obsessive about the perfect, technical golf swing and have just accepted my swing. Rather than focussing on improving body positions, I'm just focussing on getting the ball to my target, and playing more golf rather than range time. It was a lot more fun even on the range hitting to targets rather than just trying to whack it as far as I can!

If I have to take a club or two more than someone else, so be it. I'm never going to be able to commit the hours of range time and dollars on lessons long term, so I'm just working on consistently mastering my weekend hacker swing.

Very liberating!

A few videos that helped me out were by the instructor (now passed) Manuel De La Torre - but any of the online instructors that focus on the general philosophy of swinging your swing and not the technical, positional elements connect with me atm.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
A few videos that helped me out were by the instructor (now passed) Manuel De La Torre - but any of the online instructors that focus on the general philosophy of swinging your swing and not the technical, positional elements connect with me atm.
That's surprising. You would not think an online instructor would be able to pay the bills for long by telling people to forget swing mechanics and just use their natural swing.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
That's surprising. You would not think an online instructor would be able to pay the bills for long by telling people to forget swing mechanics and just use their natural swing.
Well wouldn't call him an online instructor per se, there's some YouTube videos of old golf clinics he's done with live audience.
His philosophy was basically swing the club back over the shoulder, swing to the target, and finish over the other shoulder. That's about it.

Where he does focus more on is grip, posture, alignment, aiming. But the actual swing he says he just focusses on "what to do" , rather than how to do it when teaching.

It's refreshing compared to a lot of online videos that get really specific with individual movements and body parts.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I had a lesson today and old habits were back again after a lay off. Swing path was in to out up to 6 degrees. He wants it closer to 2. Pro got me hitting short clubs using a foam swing plane aid that forced am to be more on plane and the ball definitely comes out straighter and moves less sideway through the air (draw is my good...hook my bad shot with the odd block out to the right). Looks like another aid will be purchased to help me:'(. It was harder with longer irons but I hit some cracking shots in amongst the poor ones. Misses were straighter though and probably better areas on course.

Pros definitely like pumping up your ego. I guess it is good for business and gets you coming back. Says I should be in the 70s regularly although I am mid 80s mostly.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Over last few years I have noticed I am starting to struggle with my low point. Hitting plenty fat, thin or good. Never ever been a problem for me, it was always direction...pull/hooks, blocks or straight but solid strikes. I tried a drill where I was hitting 3 quarter power but my feet with feet pretty much together and bingo...much more solid 95% of the time. Back to normal stance and I am all over the shop. I think as I am aging I am not able to pivot correctly...right near the top I think I sway a bit causing it. Dam tempted to play golf with my feet together haha....and play flat courses on calm, still days!

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Having a hit the other day and stumbled across a feel that I began to implement, it was keeping the trail elbow/ upper arm relatively tucked and close to my body on the backswing, it seemed to get me really on plane and consistently hitting them straight, couldn't really miss a target, but at the expense of a bit of width and thus probably losing between 5-10 metres of distance off my best strikes, but removing a lot of off-line shots.

Not sure if it was just a sugar hit and next time it'll abandon me, but I'm keen to try it more. I'll take a few metres less if it keeps me on the fairway.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Been playing here and there for a couple of years with an old set of hand me down no name clubs, sort of at the level where I know what I should be doing but never really put any effort into training that consistency but want to start taking it a bit more seriously.

What clubs would you recommend getting started with? Need something extremely forgiving 😂 and not outright budget but nothing too expensive.

Looking at the Callaway Steelhead XR irons & Epic max driver.

Keen to hear some thoughts on beginner clubs

iDon

Find me on the Golf Board
Jan 30, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Righto, its time I fix my deficiency's. Any recommendations on swing coaches inner Melbourne's? Plenty at Albert Park and Yarra Bend I see but imagine paying overs for convience.

From 130m in I am horrible, if there was any form of consistency it would make my time more enjoyable on the golf course.

Righto, its time I fix my deficiency's. Any recommendations on swing coaches inner Melbourne's? Plenty at Albert Park and Yarra Bend I see but imagine paying overs for convience.

From 130m in I am horrible, if there was any form of consistency it would make my time more enjoyable on the golf course.
Look for your local PGA pro

Find a PGA Pro - PGA of Australia

i havent heard of swing coaches. Just coaches. Theyd assist you with anything relating to the game

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos

Only thing I can say is have a think about how you want to be taught. What you might respond too. I don't really like too much video analysis. Which a lot of younger guys use. Maybe a quick film of your swing on an ipad or something, to point something out. But i don't respond to having a camera behind me and then sitting down and analysing the footage. I cant see behind me, so why would I look at it. I like older coaches generally. My feeling is that if a bloke has been teaching for 30 years and still has a job, he should be OK. So I'd ask a few questions of their teaching style before committing.

iDon

Jan 30, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Only thing I can say is have a think about how you want to be taught. What you might respond too. I don't really like too much video analysis. Which a lot of younger guys use. Maybe a quick film of your swing on an ipad or something, to point something out. But i don't respond to having a camera behind me and then sitting down and analysing the footage. I cant see behind me, so why would I look at it. I like older coaches generally. My feeling is that if a bloke has been teaching for 30 years and still has a job, he should be OK. So I'd ask a few questions of their teaching style before committing.

Thats good advice.

iDon

Jan 30, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Have been suggested Tim Wood, at a few courses but Rosana isn't too far and does Saturdays there.

Think it would be 1 a month, wouldn't want to overload and work on it each time.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Have been suggested Tim Wood, at a few courses but Rosana isn't too far and does Saturdays there.

Think it would be 1 a month, wouldn't want to overload and work on it each time.
Tim's a terrific coach. Highly recommended.

As Davis Love used to say a rule of thumb is 10 hours practice between lessons so once a month makes sense.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Today with trackman i clocked 183mph ball speed with the driver at the range

This seems crazy high
I'd say so, that's higher than the male tour speed averages.

But it depends do you absolutely mash the ball? Are you extremely athletic? If not it was probably an error.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I'd say so, that's higher than the male tour speed averages.

But it depends do you absolutely mash the ball? Are you extremely athletic? If not it was probably an error.
It was consistent

The rest were high 170s

People say i do but then my ball doesnt go that far

But it was the first time with the triple diamond Paradym

It only carried 232, 262 total with 182mph

Back