Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

Got far too technical in my golf swing today, grip, tempo, high hands, don't overswing, turn the hips, hundred other thoughts....

Got on top of me on the course, need to get back to playing a bit of golf and working my way around the hole not swing focussed. Towards the end when I stopped caring and started to swing a bit more freely, started to hit some better shots. Staying out of your head so important.

Got far too technical in my golf swing today, grip, tempo, high hands, don't overswing, turn the hips, hundred other thoughts....

Got on top of me on the course, need to get back to playing a bit of golf and working my way around the hole not swing focussed. Towards the end when I stopped caring and started to swing a bit more freely, started to hit some better shots. Staying out of your head so important.
Stop watching all of those bloody YouTube videos.😉

Stop watching all of those bloody YouTube videos.😉
There’s so much to be said for sticking to what feels comfortable within the constraints of what actually works.

So many people, pros included, completely destroy their game seeking artificialimprovement that isn’t necessarily required.

I have been really battling to be consistent with my ball striking over the last year. Some good patches and some extremely poor hitting. I have been slowly going through all the tips/lessons I have had trying to identify what has changed. ATM I can hit a beautiful 5 iron...175m draw...but then I miss hit and it is so weak. The difference between the good and bad is daylight. It has been extremely frustrating.

I am getting closer though. 2 things that I need to get right is my pivot, so that there is pressure and weight on the inside of my trail/right foot at the top of my BS. When I do that without a sway it is way more powerful. But there has been something else not right...and I think I might have nailed it. In a lesson a while back the pro was going over my swing on video and we were addressing something but I remember him saying there is not quite enough forward shaft lean, but it wasn't too bad. We worked on improving the other thing. Today at home I worked on pivoting and making sure there was lean at impact and bingo, most shots were feeling like my best hits. Fingers crossed I this gets me back to more solid golf.

Last edited:
Think I need to forgo the swing changes (it's working well) and control the misses and start focusing on my god awful chipping. It's really just shocking how bad I am around the green. I'm having to use the putter from further out because I have zero confidence with my wedges.

I get some action going with these I'll be single digits inside 6 months.

Where to start 😂

At the moment I’m striking my irons reasonably well off the fairway and rough, but poorly off the tee. Seem to be swinging inside the ball and striking the toe. Any pointers?
Do you use a tee when using an iron off the tee?

If yes - try without

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My irons are most inconsistent part of my game.
Been practicing the Faldo drill on the range, and actually used it on the course proper today.
Made a huge difference to my ball striking. Hit a couple of 7irons 160mt.
Don’t know why it works, but it does….just seem to swing through the ball so much better.
My playing partners asked “wtf are you doing”, but it worked.

New, neutral grip (well self taught via youtube) started out as you expect. Was getting some funny jarring motion in my top hand but it came good and I would say it felt more consistent then prior. 8 irons and 6 irons were feeling nice. When i went out to the 4 iron was just not making the same contact but that would just be a lack of consistency with a new feel.

Driver though, was finally feeling some consistency. Now need to decide what is a controllable slice or am I hitting a fade? wasn't setting up for the slice was just slightly off centre and was coming back. (first 5 were horrible). will continue to work at it. Driver average was 254m and sent one 280m straight so can't complain on distance. just need to continue to work at it. Grouping was much much better then previous weeks at the range.

View attachment 1859582

I was hitting from position K of "Albert Park Driving Range"
Question on Albert Park - how do you download/export the data from their monitors, like it appears you have done here?

Edit: something to do with using the Trackman app I am guessing? Thanks

Last edited:
Question on Albert Park - how do you download/export the data from their monitors, like it appears you have done here?

Edit: something to do with using the Trackman app I am guessing? Thanks

Correct, you create a profile and then you login at the trackman app in your bay when you are there.

Try not to connect to their wifi (trackman) if not using the bay as it constantly drops out.

Correct, you create a profile and then you login at the trackman app in your bay when you are there.

Try not to connect to their wifi (trackman) if not using the bay as it constantly drops out.
Thanks - had a hit down there on Friday for the first time in about 5 years. It was not a session that I would have wanted preserved on the interwebs.

Had about an hour in an indoor sim to beat the heat, got a ton of swing data, when you see the numbers stack up I've clearly got an out to in swing, and I leave the club face open which promotes my natural shot to be a fade, but of course it can go bad and be a slice. It also showed me why I got my big hooks, it's when I do square the clubface but still swing out to in, it means it just follows that line and pulls the ball left.

Rather than fighting it, probably best to just work on playing a fade. Many tour players are hitting a fade now so the shape obviously works. The draw probably gets you more distance but the fade is easier to hit when you don't fight it and just accept it.

Swing speed once I'm warmed up is around the 80-82 mph range on average, but when I first hit balls it's only in the low 70s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back